It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
(female)

Kelena HB User
Eye concretions and contact lenses

I have been wearing Frequency soft contact lenses for three years now. I didnīt have any problems, until four weeks ago. Suddenly, I felt a foreign body sensation in my right eye. I visited my ophthalmologist, and he told me I had a blepharitis. Didnīt use lenses while I was on therapy which lasted for seven days. Then I tried to put my lenses back on, and suddenly I felt a great discomfort! There were no more foreign body sensations, all I felt is like my eyes were on fire! I have eye scratchings and burning sensation especially at the rim of my lower eyelids.

I visited another ophthalmologist, and she told me that I have eyelid concretions (conjunctival concretion) and that those should be removed. She also told me that I donīt have chronic blepharitis, like previous doctor told me I did and that my contacts will stop bothering me when I remove those concretions.
Now, back to my contacts. It is not that my eyes are rejecting them, I can wear them, but I feel discomfort. I am not even sure is it problem with those eye concretions cause I believe that I have them for quite a while and they didnīt cause me any problems while wearing contacts. Even when I take off my contacts I feel like my eyes are burning, especially my lower eyelids. Donīt feel that my eyes are dry (though I use Refresh contacts) only like I did wash them with the soap, especially when I spend long hours in front of my computer. They are not red, or have any other significant alterations. Donīt know any more is it the problem with my eyes or is it problem in my head.

So, please, if anyone had/has those symptoms, or did have eye concretions removed, I would be very grateful to know what that surgery looks like. Is it painful and how long is the heeling process? Doc told me that I would get local anesthesia, but the fact that the needle is going to be in my eye, is driving me crazy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
(male)

help2help HB User
Re: Eye concretions and contact lenses

I too went through something similar. I was a soft contact lense wearer and then one day my eyes felt like they just couldn't do it anymore. Not sure why, but I went years where they were great and then one day it bothered me. I always took them out at night and cleaned them well every day after their soak.

So I switched to glasses and have only worn my contacts a few times since then (Maybe 3 times in the last 9 months). At first I didn't mind but now I'm bothered with the glasses and want to get back to the contacts.

I've gotten an exam from 2 different doctors and they didn't tell me anything and said everything looked fine. I think maybe my eyes just needed a rest.

One thing that I would suggest is that you have your prescription checked and upgraded if necessary. I'm blinking like mad for the last 2 weeks and its time for my glasses to be upgraded, they are over 4 years old at this point and I know my eyes have gotten worse so its time for new ones. I'm going to try to wear contacts again too.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that there is a new contact being marketed on TV that promotes more air getting through the lens, I might give those a try (air optix Brand). I used to wear acuvue advance.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
(female)

Kelena HB User

help2help,
thank you for those informations you have shared with me. Same as you, I came up to the idea that my eyes might be tired because I wear my contacts for about 16 – 18 houres. But, canīt stop wondering myself, why only the right eye is giving me trouble? Even when I take off my contacts, I still have pain in my right eye. Thatīs why I hope I didnīt overwear them, cuase I canīt see myself wearing glasses.

As for the Air optix, I used to wear them before Frequency. Reportedly, breathable contact lenses that transmit up to five times more oxygen, didnīt work for me. I used to wear them for a year, and my eyes were constantly dry. Not to mention that if Iīd close my eyes just for ten minutes, they used to be so dry when I would open them, that sometimes I was obliged to take them off and soak them, cause drops couldnīt help. But thatīs just my experience.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
(male)

help2help HB User

Hi Kelena,

I guess I won't be trying the Air Optics then. Do you regularly wear acuvue advance too?

Let me ask, do you ever find that your eyes are super dry when you first wake up? I find that one of my eyes is always super dry, and up upper eyelid is slightly larger than my left all the time. My doctor gave me eyelid wipes and then I bought them to do it every night, but I got lazy since. It is basically like a wet nap with some soap on it that you rub your eye lids with. I use the older style in the dark box, not the extra strength ones.

I didn't find that they helped much, but I did find that my eyelids didn't feel as oily at the end of the day.

Do you ever get a super small pimple on the edge of your eyelid? when I was wearing my contacts a lot I found that I would get them every once and a while and you could feel it with your contact.

Someone someone told me to try is to put hot wash clothes as a hot compress on my eyes at night. Said that it would help unclog ducts along the eyes and it seemed to make sense.

I've been wearing glasses for a long while now and i'm ready to try wearing contacts again. I have to say that my eyes don't ever feel dry when wearing glasses during the day, only in the morning after sleeping. So by giving my eyes a break I may be ready to try wearing contacts again.

If nothing else fails for you, maybe try taking a break, or just wear your contacts in the day and switch to glasses at night when you are home and on weekends.

Hope something in my feedback helps

Last edited by moderator2; 07-12-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
(female)

Kelena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by help2help View Post
Hi Kelena,
I guess I won't be trying the Air Optics then. Do you regularly wear acuvue advance too?
Wait, no, thatīs just my experience, maybe you should try them, maybe theyīll work for you.
Hmmm, acuvue advanced? I am afraid I canīt help you, cause, I donīt know what that means. I am not good at medical terminology. All I know is that I wear Frequency 55 aspheric, and they have been great for me.

Quote:
Let me ask, do you ever find that your eyes are super dry when you first wake up?
My eyes are very strange. I used to tell to my doctor that I have foreign body sensation, scratchings, and all that stuff when I take off my contacts, but he assured me, for, I donīt know how many times, that everything is OK with my eyes. But, the funny thing was that my eyes would feel just fine the moment I would put my contacts in. That is why, i didnīt make a fuss about it, cause it didnīt bother me. Upon awakening, I would feel those same symptoms - foreign body sensations, sometimes burning sensation, maybe, maybe dry eyes, but, I donīt know, it was more like they were stuffed with sand, if you know what I mean. (And, yes, I know, that is a symptom of a dry eye ) but the moment I would put my contacts in, all of that would go away.

I used to rub my eyelids with cotton sticks and baby shampoo, my lower eyelids. But sure, I will look up for Ocusoft eyelid cleanser... Sounds good.

Quote:
Do you ever get a super small pimple on the edge of your eyelid?
I believe thatīs the problem I have now. Concretions! Doc told me I should remove them cause they are the reason my contacts are bothering me. Donīt know, hope she is right.
And, yes, I did put hot wash clothes, it didnīt help. That s what my previous doc told me to do.

Quote:
Hope something in my feedback helps
Yes, your feedback helps. At least I know I am not the only one with eye problems. I am frustrated cause one doc says one thing and the other completely different thing.
I scheduled concretions removal, hope that that will resolve my eye problems. If not, maybe, Iīll take a break.

Wish you luck, hope that youīll be able to wear your contacts now.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
(male)

help2help HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelena View Post
Wait, no, thatīs just my experience, maybe you should try them, maybe theyīll work for you.
Hmmm, acuvue advanced? I am afraid I canīt help you, cause, I donīt know what that means. I am not good at medical terminology. All I know is that I wear Frequency 55 aspheric, and they have been great for me.
Acuvue Advance is the brand lens I wear. They supposedly have hydra-clear which is what Acuvue brand claims keeps the eyes moist or what not. I used to wear Biomedics in the past, but the Acuvue's were good for me when I used to wear them so I just stuck to that brand. I might give the opti-medics a try eventually.

Quote:
My eyes are very strange. I used to tell to my doctor that I have foreign body sensation, scratchings, and all that stuff when I take off my contacts, but he assured me, for, I donīt know how many times, that everything is OK with my eyes. But, the funny thing was that my eyes would feel just fine the moment I would put my contacts in. That is why, i didnīt make a fuss about it, cause it didnīt bother me. Upon awakening, I would feel those same symptoms - foreign body sensations, sometimes burning sensation, maybe, maybe dry eyes, but, I donīt know, it was more like they were stuffed with sand, if you know what I mean. (And, yes, I know, that is a symptom of a dry eye ) but the moment I would put my contacts in, all of that would go away.
I used to feel almost the exact same feeling! Almost like your eye surface is naturally scratched so when the contact is on it you then feel as if they are keeping the moisture in and don't hurt. I have to say, this is exactly what I was feeling when I sort of reached my limit, and that was why I switched to glasses for a bit. I also noticed at that time that if I was let's say in the shower and water got in my eyes, it hurt like no other. My guess is that the eye surface is loosing its natural sense of retaining moisture or something.

Quote:
I used to rub my eyelids with cotton sticks and baby shampoo, my lower eyelids. But sure, I will look up for Ocusoft eyelid cleanser... Sounds good.
I'm guessing the baby shampoo method is basically just as good as the Ocusoft without the price tag. Guess the only benefit is that the Ocusoft's are always sterile. My doc once told me to put baby shampoo on a wash cloth and rub like I was doing with the Ocusoft but I didn't have the patience to do either really.

Quote:
I believe thatīs the problem I have now. Concretions! Doc told me I should remove them cause they are the reason my contacts are bothering me. Donīt know, hope she is right.
And, yes, I did put hot wash clothes, it didn't help. That s what my previous doc told me to do.
What I was mentioning didn't look like what a Concretion was from a google search I did and saw on this page: http://www.concretion.org/eye-concretions.htm

I was thinking more along the lines of either Blepharitis or a stye. It is basically a teeny tiny bubble of oil that is on the edge of your eyelid. When I used to get these if I had my contacts in I could feel it rub against the teeny tiny pimple and it was annoying!

I did notice that after I stopped wearing my contacts I hardly get that tiny pimple on the edge of my eyelid any more. However, I do remember that I tried to wear my contacts after a short while after stopping and switching to glasses and that I would get a tiny pimple on the edge of my eye. I imagine that the contact forces the oils to stay on the edge of the eyelid and the result is more build up of the follicles and more tiny pimples.

Whatever you do, always get a second opinion since some doctors are quick to try something without diagnosing as well as they could.

Quote:
Yes, your feedback helps. At least I know I am not the only one with eye problems. I am frustrated cause one doc says one thing and the other completely different thing.
I scheduled concretions removal, hope that that will resolve my eye problems. If not, maybe, Iīll take a break.

Wish you luck, hope that youīll be able to wear your contacts now.
Yes, your feedback helps too! and to know someone else out there is experiencing the exact same thing. Sucks either of us have to have it, but I guess its good that we can exchange experiences.

If I had one bit of advice to you (Coming from my experience and from someone who basically went through similar symptoms many months back) it would be to stop wearing your contacts completely for a bit. Not sure if it means 1 month, or 10 months, but it sounds like your eyes are speaking to you, much like mine were. Taking a break to let them breath and get used to controlling their own moisture can only be beneficial.

Another thing I wanted to mention is to toss your contacts after whatever time they say. If they are 2-week disposables, spend the money and refresh them all the time. I would sometimes stretch it a few extra days and could always remember the feeling of fresh lenses, and would inspect and see that the old lenses were much thinner. So that just goes to show that the lens is wearing down over the course of wearing it, so why not keep a fresh lens in the eye regularly. Probably help with keeping them cleaner too. On the same note, buy the better cleaning/soaking solution. I'd always use the bottle that was like $8 or $9 vs. the store brand or ones that were 1/2 the price. I think it was by Alcon, definitely a quality brand from what I could tell as a consumer.

Good luck and keep me posted on how you make out. I'll let you know my experience after I start to wear my contacts again.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
(female)

Kelena HB User

Quote:
It is basically a teeny tiny bubble of oil that is on the edge of your eyelid.
Sorry, i misunderstood you. Well, I donīt think I have that kind of problems. To tell you the truth, I am completely confused right now. I donīt even know what to google any more, cause, apparently when it comes to the eyes, symptoms are almost the same ones!

I saw how sty looks like, and no, I donīt have it. But, my doc told me that my glands are clogged from excess oil, and yes, I have some of the of the symptoms – pain, tenderness, itching... Also, he told me that I suffer from a chronic blepharitis, which is mild and manageable, but, when I visited another doc, she then told me that I donīt have blepharitis at all!!! And yes, I did put warm compresses, did clean my eyelids, but it seems I donīt have a sty.

I believe I have this:
„The conjunctiva will exhibit calcium deposits in the form of concretions. A concretion is a small, hard, yellow or white deposit. This deposit forms in the conjunctiva that lines the inside of your eyelids. Concretions are most common if you have a condition that causes your eyes to be inflamed for a long period of time. The cells in your conjunctiva begin to degenerate. Concretions are usually associated with advancing years. As this happens, other materials fill the space in what is known as a cyst. As the cyst hardens, it forms a small piece of calcium. The treatment of large concretions is to have your optometrist of ophthalmologist remove them. This requires only a topical anesthetic.”

Please, pay attention on the underline sentence! I may be old for someone, but I believe that the age of 25 are not the advancing years. Also, those concretions can be removed (Donīt know about sty, does it go away by itself, or you remove it), which is going to happen to me tomorrow. With topical anesthesia and sterile needle.

Those bumps, or whatever I have, canīt be seen. I donīt even know where they are placed: tarsal glands, conjunctiva, eyelids, inverted eyelids or wherever! When I look at the anatomy of the eye, I realise that I found myself looking at it and not seeing the difference between some things. And not to mention my confusion when read about the symptoms. The best thing I can do now is to wait, because, this research of mine only gets me confused.

Quote:
I imagine that the contact forces the oils to stay on the edge of the eyelid and the result is more build up of the follicles and more tiny pimples.
Exactly, thatīs what my doc said to me. But why did she recommend surgical removal I donīt know. I know that I sound like a complete idiot right now, but really, I am confused.

Thank you for the advices! Maybe I just donīt want to face the truth that lenses are foreign bodies in our eyes, and that no matter what docs are saying, (Safe to wear them up to 18 houres everyday) we should rest our eyes and combine wearing them with glasses. Probably, I make too much fuss over nothing, cause only thing that matters to me is to wear my lenses comfortably, donīt know why I am that much afraid of the glasses. But, well, thatīs not a discussion for this forum.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
(female)

eyeball23 HB User

Hello, I too have problems with my right eye after taking out my contact lens. It will be sore for up to a week and disturbs my sleep. Gradually the discomfot will diminish after about a week but I have now stopped wearing a lens in that eye completely. The affested eye fills up during the night waking me. My opthalmologist tells me I have concretions in both eyes but it is only the right that causes me any distress. I should add I had previously worn Acuvue lenses safel for 15 years for up ro 12 hours a day. My doctor agrees with the opthalmologist and plans to remove the concretion on Wednesday August 25th. I can't wait! I can't esily play golf or tennis, my passions, in glasses. I hate wearing them.....

Closed Thread