It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
(male)

helpsomeone HB User
Severe eye problems after Cataract and replacement lens surgery

Hello, I am very new to the forum and therefore a Newbie.I guess everyone had to be one at some point.

I would like to tell my story in hopes someone who has similar problems could offer suggestions that may help me.

I am a 65 year old male in relatively good health except for my eyes. I have been wearing glasses since I was three years old.I had a very strong prescription with severe Astigmatism. Don't remember whether I was near or far sighted. Fact is, I had to put my glasses in the same place before bedtime so I could find them in the morning. They very thick and heavy until the light weight plastics came along. I could see very clearly out of them though. Both distance and near.

In the Spring of 2007 I decided to see if I was a candidate for some type of surgery that would let me get rid of the glasses except for reading.
I found an Ophthalmologist that thought she could help me. Upon examination she found that I had some minor Cataracts beginning. She advised that she could remove them and then implant Toric IOl upgrade lenses at the same to offset the cost. My insurance paid 80% of the cost for the Cataract surgery. That left me paying about $2,000. We scheduled the procedure to be done and she did the first eye one week and the other the week after. I did the follow up visits as instructed but noticed I couldn't see half as well as before the surgery. I didn't get really alarmed since I realized they needed time to heal. About three months after the surgery I scheduled another appointment. The exam revealed that I had scar tissue which formed during the healing process. She used a laser treatment to do the procedure. After that I had floaters in both eyes which she said would dissolve with time. I visited three different Optometrist until about a year ago I decided to get another opinion from a different Ophthalmologist. His findings were pretty similar to the first Doctor's. So here I have been examined by two Ophthalmologist and three different Optometrist. in a two and a half year period and have 12 pairs of glasses made during that time. That is about 3-4 hundred dollars a pop plus all the other expenses.

Here is my next big problem. Since the surgery I have had severe Dry Eye Syndrome. Before the surgery I had a minor problem with dry eyes but I worked in a factory in paper dust. Regular Murine would take care of that. I have tried the following remedies to solve this. Blink lubricating drops-Systane Ultra-Soothe XP-Bausch & Lomb Eye Relief-Zaditor-GenTeal Gel & Restasis to no avail. I have had the plugs put in my tear drains. Nothing works.
The Doctors say they have me corrected to 20-30 in both eyes but I don't see how that could be. I have black floaters in both eyes. I don't feel safe driving even with my glasses on and they burn like fire all my awake time.
I can only site at the computer for a few minutes at a time. I have been over 2 hours typing this. I have to use a super giant print Bible at Church. My wife reads the menu at restaurants. I am at my wits end.

I know this is a very long post but I am in hopes that someone can give me some sound advise to make my situation a little better.
I have thrown $4,000- $4500 dollars at this venture and would give that much to have my old eyes back with the thick heavy lenses.

Thanks for listening and God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User
Re: Severe eye problems after Cataract and replacement lens surgery

Wher do you have scarring at? Did anyone ever mention that the implant may of shifted? It's hard to say how to fix the va problem. I know that chronic dry eye can cause va to fluctuate. Ever asked about restasis? And make sure that the plugs haven't come out. There is also something called laser closure of the punctum that can help people with dry eyes and when the plugs come out all the time.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
(male)

helpsomeone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurlbert3 View Post
Where do you have scarring at? Did anyone ever mention that the implant may of shifted? It's hard to say how to fix the va problem. I know that chronic dry eye can cause va to fluctuate. Ever asked about restasis? And make sure that the plugs haven't come out. There is also something called laser closure of the punctum that can help people with dry eyes and when the plugs come out all the time.
Thank you for the response.
Actually when I went in 3 months after the surgery my Doctor said that in a lot of cases patients developed scar tissue around where the surgery occurred. She did this correction wits a laser which only took a few minutes. After that is when the floaters began and have been there since. As far as the implant shifting, there has been no mention of that and I have been back several times. Both eyes seem to have the same problem.

I have been using Restasis for about 10 months and quite frankly I see no difference except the eyes burn after using them.
I believe the plugs to still be intact.

I'm sorry but I am not educated in some of the terminology of Ophthalmology. Is the term you used "va" meant to be vision?

Thanks again for your reply,
Jim

Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
(male)

PhillyFreddy HB User

I have no help for the dry eye, but I thought you could help me. Like you I am very myopic and developed cataracts in both eyes. I also have degeneration in my retinas due to the myopia. I had my worst eye done first and am scheduled for my right eye in two weeks. My concern is that my correction after the procedure went from -18 to "-10 or -11". I was expecting much better results. The Dr. tells me that my right eye should only be corrected to -5 because of the need to ' balance" my eyes. Quite frankly I am concerned that my left eye was not correctly measured so I did not get the correct lens implant. Does anyone out there have any light to shed on this?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

There shouldnt of been scarring where the implant or sx was done, never heard of that before. Sometimes scarring can be in the retina called a wrinkle was can limit quality of vision. Do you have any residual astigmatism left? I've also heard that many pt's dont respond greatly with restasis due to the burning. Try keep preservative free tears in the fridge and use and ointment or gel at night to help with them during the night when you are not able to put drops in. Yes, va means vision.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

You should do fine but just remember that having retina problems will always limit your quality of vision no matter what you do to fix the front of the eye, the back isn't going to be perfect. Also do you have any astigmatism left?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
(male)

helpsomeone HB User

Thanks for your response
Yes I do have residual astigmatism in both eyes according to my Doctor. She was not able to correct it all.
What do you recommend as far as a preservative free drop? (Brand) The Restasis I don't feel has helped at all. In fact, I believe my Dry Eye is worse with it.
I just don't understand why the extreme dry after the surgery when I had only a trace before.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Well the eye becomes extremely sensitive after sx. You can use refresh gel or refresh pm, there is also cases where the dr will rx e-mycin to use at night. It's your plain run of the mill ointment. But i've heard that refresh pm or blink gel works very well. Now with the residual astigmatism your va cannot be corrected to 20/20 without help, either with glasses or contacts. You could have lasik or some kind of corneal procedure to hopefully decrease the amount of astigmatism you still have. Try some of these suggestions and let me know how it goes.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
(male)

helpsomeone HB User

Thank you so much dhurlbert3 for your interest and suggestions.

I will certainly try the Refresh and Blink as they are two products that I haven't tried.
Regards,
Jim

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
(male)

helpsomeone HB User

Thank you so much much dhurlbert3 for your input and suggestions.

I will certainly try the the Refresh and Blink as they are two that I haven't tried.
Regards,
Jim

Old 08-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Your welcome. Let me know if there is anyhting else i can help you with. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
(male)

helpsomeone HB User

This post is especially for dhurlbert3 but may be helpful to others as well.

As described in my previous posts I have been suffering from severe dry eye sydrome since my cataract surgery and lens replacement in the Spring of 2008. now since then I have used every drop available scrip and non script.

Now I stumbled onto a sloution to my dry eye problem. Don't use drops at all!!
I haven't used drops in about two weeks and my eyes are actually making tears again. That is one part of my vision problem that I am very grateful for.
Did my eyes refuse to make tears while I used the drops? I don't know that. All I do know is that its working for me now.
Warm regards,
Jim

Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I'm really glad that something has helped you. I guess it's possible that "the body takes care of itself" theory can apply to dry eyes. Maybe with nothing "foreign" going in them they are able to finally kick in and do their job. Good discovery. Hope all is well.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
(female)

misscat HB User

Helpsomeone...I've been searching the web for answers and you are the first person I've found that has had almost the exact same experience...I'm 6 weeks out after surgery on one eye..Got the toric lens since I had astigmatism..Had corneal swelling which resolved but I'm left with a burning sensation in my eye...Dry...I don't know..I use Thera tears but it doesn't help..My biggest problem is that I only had one eye done..With the large correction in my other eye it's made glasses a nightmare...The two eyes are totally different...I'm now using a contact in the non surgery eye and glasses and I'm still having problems..They have made so many lens changes that I'm just about to give up..I can drive but inside or close up causes terrible eye strain..I'm just at my wits end..I could see fine with my old thick glasses close up..I was only having problems with driving with one eye...I'm just sick that I got talked into this surgery. The doc tells me that if I'd just do the other eye they would be "the same" and I could see great with glasses but he's told me so many things that aren't right I don't trust him...Smaller city with limited options for other doctors...the burning is daunting and having vision problems is life changing. I have no other health problems.. post me if you have any new input... Hope you get this...

Last edited by moderator2; 12-12-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
(male)

helpsomeone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscat View Post
Helpsomeone...I've been searching the web for answers and you are the first person I've found that has had almost the exact same experience...I'm 6 weeks out after surgery on one eye..Got the toric lens since I had astigmatism..Had corneal swelling which resolved but I'm left with a burning sensation in my eye...Dry...I don't know..I use Thera tears but it doesn't help..My biggest problem is that I only had one eye done..With the large correction in my other eye it's made glasses a nightmare...The two eyes are totally different...I'm now using a contact in the non surgery eye and glasses and I'm still having problems..They have made so many lens changes that I'm just about to give up..I can drive but inside or close up causes terrible eye strain..I'm just at my wits end..I could see fine with my old thick glasses close up..I was only having problems with driving with one eye...I'm just sick that I got talked into this surgery. The doc tells me that if I'd just do the other eye they would be "the same" and I could see great with glasses but he's told me so many things that aren't right I don't trust him...Smaller city with limited options for other doctors...the burning is daunting and having vision problems is life changing. I have no other health problems.. post to me if you have any new input... Hope you get this...
Misscat
I can certainly sympathize with you. I wish I could paint you a pretty picture and tell you that everything is going to be OK. I am 2+ years after surgery and I still suffer from "dry eye" or "burning eyes" or whatever else it may be called. As I have said in a previous post, I had a very mild dry eye that Murine would take care of but since my surgery I have tried everything on the market, even Restasis to no avail. I seem to be better by using no drops at all. I believe my tear production is better since discontinuing the drops. I still can't use the computer or watch TV but for a short period without blur or burning so the problem is still there.

If I were you I would definitely get another Ophthalmologist that specializes in this type of surgery before you go ahead with your other eye. You may live in a rural area but this is a very important decision you are making so go to St Louis if you have to to get this done. I wish I could be more optimistic with you and if I can ever be of help please send me another post.
Good Luck and God Bless,
Jim

Last edited by moderator2; 12-12-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: wasnt finished

Closed Thread