It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
(male)

mrx900 HB User
Question re: Bandage Contact and Corneal Abrasion

About a year ago, got poked in the eye.....then mths later, I would wake up in the middle of the night in agony ..felt like something in my eye....Corneal abrasion.....I went to the doc and they put on a bandage contact...It has been almost a year now and it wont heal...Keeps on ripping at night when I sleep and I have to wake up in agony 2AM sometimes.... I thought wearing the contact lens would prevent this, but its still happening with the contact lens on at night.

Am I a strong candidate for PTK at this point? Im so sick of this....I am losing so much sleep!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User
Re: Question re: Bandage Contact and Corneal Abrasion

I had an ulcer on the cornea (same thing) and I was given prednisone drops. Pain went a way in a few days. Finished the drops and the doc told me to just get the refill and leave in medicine cabinet in case it happens again. I have dry eyes so I guess he is thinking it will. He never suggested covering the eye at all. Just sunglasses outside. Hope this helps....
Cat ;0)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

gentealgel HB User

You may want to use some terms to help your doctor understand what is happening. Ask your doctor if you are having Recurrent Corneal Erosions; then, ask if you have a dystrophy that has complicated the healing process after your corneal injury.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

Cherokee1943 HB User

I had a problem with this experience of extreme pain during the night when
I opened my eyes. I had the problem for at least a year before going to an
optometrist. All the usual remedies were tried with some success, but the
problem returned. The second attempt was a total failure. I had run out of
Claritin and didn't get more for a week and it was a very bad week. I was
desperate and made an appointment with an opthamologist. A day or 2 before the appointment I got back on my daily Claritin and added Clear Eyes
Maximum Itchy Eye Relief. During my appointment the bandage contacts were removed. I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of the surgery as a solution and refused to make an appointment for the surgery at that time.
To my surprise I never had another event after that appointment. I continued the antibiotic/steroid drops and the Muro drops for some period of
time. Now I use the Clear Eyes drops once of twice a day and generally I
will use artificial tears in the inside corners of my eyes before opening at night. I don't know if this will work for others, but it is worth a try.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

kazze HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrx900 View Post
About a year ago, got poked in the eye.....then mths later, I would wake up in the middle of the night in agony ..felt like something in my eye....Corneal abrasion.....I went to the doc and they put on a bandage contact...It has been almost a year now and it wont heal...Keeps on ripping at night when I sleep and I have to wake up in agony 2AM sometimes.... I thought wearing the contact lens would prevent this, but its still happening with the contact lens on at night.

Am I a strong candidate for PTK at this point? Im so sick of this....I am losing so much sleep!

how are you now ?????!!!!

kaz

Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
(female)

Cherokee1943 HB User

I am no expert or medical professional, but as I posted prior I had the same problem you are having with the same severity and duration and even went to an appointment with an opthomologist. She told me empatically that my problem would not resolve without surgery.

However, a day or two prior to my appointment I started using allergy eye drops and started taking generic Claritin daily again. The front desk encouraged me to schedule surgery, but I said I wanted to think about it first.
While there I had removed my bandage contacts. I never put them back in or had the problem again except very rarely when I work in the yard. I guess the mold in the soil gets my allergic reaction going. I try to remember to use eye wash after working outside.

I never had the PTK surgery. I regularly use the allergy drops 1 ro 3 times a day and use moisture eye drops during the night if I wake up with my eyes feeling scratchy. The allergy drops, any over the counter variety, seem to make the corneal flap stay down very effectively. I used Muro and all that happened was lots of stinging in my eyes.

I feel that you have nothing to lose by trying these ideas prior to having surgery. The surgery is a big investment in time and and possibly money if you do not have insurance that will pay for it. The surgeon will do one eye at a time and you won't be able to see well enough to drive or do much for about a week.

If you want to try this, use the allergy drops the maximum times per day recommended on the label and take whatever over the counter daily maintainance allergy medication you respond to well. Also use moisture eye drops as you feel the need. I would think if this will work for you that you should see results very quickly. I had great results in about 2-3 days after starting the allergy drops and OTC oral allergy meds. If you don't have a significant postitive response in a week, you need to reconsider the surgery without much delay.

This problem won't kill you, but it is very disturbing and affects you vision so that you may need a different correctiive lens daily.

I wish you all the best for a speedy resolution to this problem.

Closed Thread