It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User
Angry Problems after Cataract Surgery

Hi. I am not new to Healthboards but I am new to the eye and vision section. My question is this: I had cataract surgery in both eyes a year ago, (two months apart). The intraocular lens that was implanted is made by AMO, (Advanced Medical Optics). Has anyone else had these lenses implanted after cataract surgery and did they fit or are you having problems? Within seconds after my surgeries I saw the curved edge of the lens and my peripheral vision was impaired. This happend IMMEDIATELY after surgery. I mentioned it to my eye doctor and surgeon and he told me that it will take about 3 months before a "shrink-wrap" sort of thing takes place and they will fit. After 3 months it was still the same. They wanted me to wait another 3 months. So I waited again. But two months after that I became very ill and had to relocate to another state accross country, so I was not able to follow up after the full 6 months had passed. My circle of vision is now like a diamond shape. I cannot see if anyone comes up next to me on both my left and right side, but the left side is worse. I feel as if I'm looking through a small tube. I hate it and it has ruined my life. I constantly see this curved edge as if someone has insterted a curved wire into my line of vision.
Sorry this has turned into a book, but I know the lenses did not fit from the beginning. This has nothing to do with scar tissue or my brain adjusting to the new lenses. It is the lenses themselves. Also, since I've had these lenses I find my vision blures and I get a terrible full-headed feeling and then my vision gets shaky when trying to focus.
Thank you for any responses or advice you may offer. I appreciate all of you!

Last edited by jlsp; 08-29-2010 at 10:37 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlsp For This Useful Post:
Eagle (03-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User
Re: Problems after Cataract Surgery

What kind of lenses are they exactly?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User

They are Advanced Medical Optics Intraocular Lens made by AMO, Inc. in Santa Ana, CA.That is what is written on my inplant identification card. Thank you.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

I really can't help but I am so sorry that you had this problem and were shoved around. I didn't have that same brand of lens put in so I can't tell you anything about them. I am surprised they did the second when you were having problems still with the first. Have you see another Opthamologist where you are living now? I am sure that would be the wisest thing to do as they certainly can tell what the problem is and how to correct it. I hope you get some resolution soon. Eye problems are really frustrating as you can't get away from them.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Are they multi-focal, toric, mono-focal? Have you had any other tx to your eyes since sx?

Old 08-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User

The left one is mono-focal, set for seeing close up. The right one is according to what my prescription was upon surgery, thus providing me with mono-vision. I have not had any treatments since surgery. I have open-angle glaucoma and had an ALT performed in each eye two years ago. Thank you.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Well that can explain some of your problem. With alt laser tx it is a heat laser and it burns the eye, once you've had it you cant repeat it. A for the monovision have you had mono vision before in contacts? Some peole cant handle monovision permenantly, especially if they have never tried it before. Sometimes the brain cant adjust to it.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User

Thank you so much for continuing to respond. Yes, I had the monovision before when I had lasik done on both eyes and didn't have a problem. The ALT tx was done a year before the cataract surgery. I never had a problem until a few seconds after the cataract surgery that I saw the thick curved lines in my peripheral vision. J

Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Seems a little strange that you are having so many problems now. In my office i haven;t heard much back on these lenses. We use acrosoft and alcon. Do you have any astigmatism left? I do know that if you have had lasix in the past and then have cat sx it can decrease the predictablity of the implant since wiht lasix you are reshaping the cornea. In my practice we dont typically use anythingother than the standard implants in past lasik patients just for this reason. The only thing i can think of is maybe you still have some astig. Left. You maybe a candidate for pk at a later date.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User

Thank you.
What you just told me makes so much sense. I have not been able to see another doctor to test my pressure or do a follow up exam due to lack of insurance but my constant nausea and head pressure could be due to a remaining astig. My brain cannot conform to the change.
Can lenses be removed after a cataract surgery and replaced? It is obvious that they do not fit correctly besides all the other problems. I am a counselor intern and a student and am finding it very difficult to work my internship or do my studies due to my eyes. Thanks so much again.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Eye surgeons dont usually recommend removing an implant after sx due to be such an increase in the risks. I wouldn't recommend it. I would look into conatcts on pk procedure at a later date. Unfortuanetly having residual astig. Will eventually need to be corrected so you can acheive your best potential. I hoped i helped. Let me know if anything else i can help with.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User

You have been so helpful. Thank you for hanging in there with me. Just one more question: has anyone ever mentioned before that they can see the outer edge of the implant (like myself) and that their peripheral vision is now a total blure after cataract surgery? It's like I'm looking through a tube. I can't believe I'm the only one. Thank you again for all your responses.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

I'm so sorry that you're having problems! I have the same implants that you do. I had the right eye done this past May and the left done in June. I am catching all sorts of glare at what seems like the edge of my left implant and the doctor said that I should try not to concentrate on it because then my brain won't adapt. I have to say it's not as bad as it used to be, but my peripheral vision seems far better than yours.
Next week I am going for YAG laser surgery because I am still getting lots of glare. This happens in a large percentage of patients where the posterior capsule has to be removed.
I wish you well, I just wanted to let you know that I have the same implants yet not the same experience.

Sue

Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User

Thank you so much for your response. I am glad to find someone who has the same inplants. I get the glare every now and again, but it doesn't bother me like it used to. I would rather have the glare then having to see the thick edge of the lens and the constant head pressure and pain. I'll be curious how your procedure goes. Good luck...J

Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurlbert3 View Post
Seems a little strange that you are having so many problems now. In my office i haven;t heard much back on these lenses. We use acrosoft and alcon. Do you have any astigmatism left? I do know that if you have had lasix in the past and then have cat sx it can decrease the predictablity of the implant since wiht lasix you are reshaping the cornea. In my practice we dont typically use anythingother than the standard implants in past lasik patients just for this reason. The only thing i can think of is maybe you still have some astig. Left. You maybe a candidate for pk at a later date.
What's a pk?

And obviously other surgeons would not want to come right out and say so but isn't it just possible the implant was misplaced?

Closed Thread