It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

hahaitsallie HB User
Constant Red Eyes.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked around this board and decided to state my own case and explain whats been happening.

I am 14 and have been noticing that my eyes are red now for about 4 months. I have never worn contacts, but I do have glasses for my slight farsightedness. My eyes do not itch, sting, or hurt in any way, but they look so bloodshot. I have tried using the Visine Original Redness Relief, Visine's allergy relief, and am now using Naphcon A Eye Allergy Relief.

In the beginning of July, I went to my doctor so see what was going on. He said that I didn't have pink eye, and told me to replace all of my eye make up and suggested the Naphcon A eye drops. I bought new make up and the eye drops. While the eye drops seem to have worked in the beginning, it seems to not really make a difference now. I use two drops everyday and I am thinking that my eyes have become tolerant or something.

I am a sophomore in high school and during a day a lot of people will comment that it looks like I have been crying because of my red eyes. It is effecting my interactions with people because I am so self conscience. Anything that you can suggest will be greatly appreciated. If you need more information or have any questions please ask and I will respond.

Thank you.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User
Re: Constant Red Eyes.

First stop using anything that says gets the red out because it causes the vessels in the eye to constrict causing your eyes to become dependant on them, next try preservative free artificial tears and use them 3x a day and see if that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

MarisainCA HB User

Hi Allie- I agree with Dhurlbert3. Stop using anytype of eye drop that claims to get the red out it. Ive seen an opthamologist for 5 years now and she says thats the worst thing to put in your eye. It will actually make your eyes more red in the long run as they do cause a tolerance. Try to start using a preservative free eye drop that come in the plastic vials. I currently use Thera tears , they work for me but everybody is different. Some people say that they are irritating, i would recommend trying different brands until you find one that works for you. Make sure you are also consistently putting them in even when your eyes dont look red. I hope this helps! Im 29 years old and always have dry red eyes that look like im on drugs or crying!! Its frustrating but we have to be patient until we find something that works for us!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
(female)

Rayer88 HB User

see next thread

Last edited by Rayer88; 10-12-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
(female)

Rayer88 HB User

Hi there, I know exactly what you are going through. I have had a problem with red eyes for at least 10 years now. I'm 29 years old. At my old work people would often comment and say things like "Why are you eyes so red?" It used to really upset me & I would use eye drops which restrict the blood vessels everyday even though I know how bad they are just so I wouldn't have to deal with it. Also I find it hard to look people straight in the eyes which I hate.

It took me so long to figure out what it was but It turns out I have pinguecula on each side of both eyes. It's mainly caused by over exposure to UV rays which makes sense because I spent my entire childhood outdoors with no sunglasses & took up surfing as a hobby after high school.

Everything flares up the redness....such as air con, the sun, wind, dust, computer screens, being slightly tired, getting upset, alcohol etc, etc, etc.

sometimes I'll think to myself oh they don't look so bad and I'll go to the shops & then I'll feel them burning & yeah they are red again. Embarrassing because it looks like I'm stoned.

Anyway, you may not have the same problem but go to an opthamologist and find out. at least that way you'll know what you are dealing with.

take care,
Ray

Closed Thread