It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

dreamgirlatHB HB User
Dark Spot in Peripheral Vision for seconds, but NOT floaters

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experiences with the same symptoms as mine and if so, what was your diagnosis and treatment, etc.? (Please excuse the length as I try to be as descriptive as possible.)

Last week, when I was working on the computer, I noticed a solid, round dark spot appearing abruptly at the bottom of my left eye. It appeared and disappeared right away and I had a subtle sense of discomfort, while alarming, it did not cause me to go to the doctor immediately.

A couple nights ago, also when I was looking at the computer, I suddenly notice two black spots abruptly appearing in the left corner of my peripheral vision (and it also felt as though it was in the left eye only, like the first time). The two black spots appeared one right after another, and overall only lasted 1 second, maybe 2 seconds, at most. During this very short period of time, it was almost as though that part of the vision was blacking out, and I also felt extremely dizzy and out of sort, almost like I was about to faint.

So the second day I made an emergency appointment with an ophthalmologist. He did the eye exam (I don't know the names of the exact procedures but I had the visual field test, the dilated eye exam, etc. and they were like the procedures of an annual eye exam). The results came back fine as in he couldn't find any abnormality. It showed no signs of retinal detachment. My blood pressure was normal (so not caused by high blood pressure). I have no known history of diabetes, etc. The visual symptoms was extremely brief and I didn't have a headache before or after. The glass prescription for my nearsightedness is the mildest possible and hasn't changed since I first got it in the summer. The doctor himself said my symptoms doesn't fit the description of anything he was worried about before seeing me. I did a search online and while a lot of people see "dark spots" that are floaters, my symptoms don't exactly fit the description of floaters either. So right now, there is basically nothing I can do except to monitor it and it has caused me a lot of anxiety.

Anyone has similar experiences? What was the prognosis and diagnosis? What was the treatment?

Last edited by dreamgirlatHB; 11-29-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
(female)

Kittycat15 HB User
Re: Dark Spot in Peripheral Vision for seconds, but NOT floaters

Hey there. I DO have similar symptoms. I get it in my left eye worse than the right, but it does occur in both eyes.

What happens to me is: When I move my eyes (i.e. look upward or to the left a little bit or whatever), I get black holes/spots in the side of my vision - not the centre or anything. Press on your eye and a black hole will appear - they are fairly similar to appearance to those holes/spots that happen when you press on your eye.

I don't get them all the time. They are most noticeable in the bathroom for some reason, and when I am outside. Perhaps this is because of the light - I don't know.

I saw a doctor, who told me to go to get my eyes checked. The optometrist performed a routine eye exam and they couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I am going to another eye place to get double checked and perhaps get a referral to an optometrist. I have had these symptoms for over a year now!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
(male)

fedor HB User

Same symptoms here, what did your doctor say it is? Please update us. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
(female)

Ktspirit4 HB User

I have -the same type piercing black spots in my vision field for over a yr now. Happens when I look quickly upwards to the left or right and can last 1 to 5 mins. At first I thought it might be migraine aura'a and never got answers that satisfied me and I always fear I might faint .Its more intense in the sunlight. My Neurologist said it was stress related and I was unaware of hyperventilating-also felt it might be inner ear related -but i refused to let him do the Vertigo test I am so scared of the dizziness it produces during the procedure. Wish I could be of help -but at least can well relate to your symptoms

Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
(male)

chriso123 HB User

I have exactly the same thing, I'm going docs tomorrow.
I have floaters in both eyes, + a couple of wiess rings.
The dark spots are exactly like pressure spots, as if something is behind the eye pushing in to it.
I get it when I place my eye at a specific point and can see it easier on each blink. It's in my left eye, when I look towards my nose slightly, I can see it in the bottom right corner, the other eye doesn't do this.

Remember if you find out what it is to post it on here, as searchs for dark spots are futile in google, since its a load of junk about acne, getting rid of bags under the eyes and yeah.. well unrelated junk.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi if a person finds out what to do for floaters I want to know. There are things advertised out there but the truth is I don't know how well they work or how safe they are. I would like it if there is a good natural one out there. Lemon was said to be good... I am not sure that would do it though.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
(male)

chriso123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi if a person finds out what to do for floaters I want to know. There are things advertised out there but the truth is I don't know how well they work or how safe they are. I would like it if there is a good natural one out there. Lemon was said to be good... I am not sure that would do it though.
Why the hell are you posting this in a thread that says "but NOT floaters"

Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
(female)

dreamgirlatHB HB User

Hi all!

Thanks for replying!

I made 4 additional visits to the clinic within the last 2 months and it took 3 visits for them to finally pay attention to my complaints (it was a clinic gear toward a young, healthy population so they are accustomed to seeing mild non-issues). I've had dilated eye exams, retinal photos, and fluorescence angiography and nothing was found.

Within the last two months, I have had more attacks of these dark spots. They come and go within seconds and I really have no idea what the hell they are or what the hell to do with it. AARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Anyone got a diagnosis?

Closed Thread