It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
(male)

swedeyhead HB User
Off the peg reading glasses

I'm starting to need reading glasses occasionally. When I try "off the peg" reading glasses from places like Primark I find that +1.0 is good enough to meet my needs.

What I want to know is - what are the cylinder and axis prescriptions applied on these glasses and does it matter?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User
Re: Off the peg reading glasses

Hi, I think you owe it to yourself to get proper prescription eyeglasses.
Here in Australia, the eye test is fully rebated by Medicare, and the optician is obligated to return the prescription to you if you request it. That's the law. You can ask for the prescription and walk out of the shop. They don't like it but have to do it. Then, on the internet it's relatively easy to get a cheap pair of prescription glasses. I buy mine from the US and they cost as low as $10US including nice frames. I sometimes pay a few dollars more and get a scratch-resistant anti-glare coating.

The ones you talk about cost almost nothing to produce and basically suit long-sighted ppl who have trouble reading - this is the natural progression for many.
So there is an adjustment to long-sightedness and another for magnification - this because most ppl see better when things are magnified. In summary there is a rough correction for being long-sighted (sphere), no correction for astigmatism (cylinder or axis), and no eye-to-eye corrections. Money wasted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beefsteak For This Useful Post:
swedeyhead (12-08-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

eyelure HB User

off peg reading glasses only work well when you have only a spherical correction (no astigmatism) and the centre of the lens coincides with your pupil centre. <edit>

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-06-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
(male)

swedeyhead HB User

Thanks for your replies.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
(male)

parondvo HB User

How much weaker the reading glasses need to be compared to the actual prescription

Closed Thread