It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

9na HB User
Blurry vision and red eye - caused by low vitamin d??

For the last month or so, my eyes - and this goes more for my right eye than the left, although both are affected - have been quite red. Not all red, but the venes on the white are bigger and way more visible then they use to.
I also have trouble with blurry vision - it helps to blink hard or something, but it's really straining.

Can the red come from the eye(s) 'stress' because of the blurry vision? I thought so, but then it occured to me that the red appeared before the vision trouble. Hm.

I wear contacts, have done so for 10 years, never had a problem. One day disposables, so it's not like one is damaged or anything, either. But the little circle of white eye that's usually covered by the contact lense have short red lines on it, pointing outwards - much like in this picture (found by google, it's not my eye!):
http://drkisling.com/wp-content/uplo...33-300x199.jpg

I have been diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency a couple of weeks ago, after a long time with many different symptoms appearing. I have read some places that blurry vision could be a symptom of that, too, but never about red and strained/painful eye...

Any thoughts?

I'm seeing my optician in a couple of weeks, and my doctor next week, so I will of course ask them. But I'm happy to hear your thoughts and/or experiences

Last edited by 9na; 12-14-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

9na HB User
Re: Blurry vision and red eye - caused by low vitamin d??

Replying to myself

I just thought - could it be that the deficiency of vit. D has made my eyes dry? I have never had trouble with that before, but I reckon dry eyes could make the eye react to the lense with redness, pain and maybe also a blurry vision?

I better order some cheap glasses to see, I guess. Haven't had glasses for at least 7-8 years, always wore contacts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

9na HB User

A little update - my doctor seems to think that the low D is causing all the trouble I'm having, including the eye-problems.

I've been wearing cheap glasses for the last week or so, and my eyes look WAAAY better! It also feels better, hardly no fog/blurred vision now.

I need to get som proper glasses, though - and I'm curious to hear what my optician has got to say when I see him in about a week.

The last 3-4 days I've been having a 'good period', all my symptoms have been weaker than they were last week. So I'm guessing that could be the reason why my eye(s) is better, too.

Pretty sure my eyes are dry - it often feels like there's something on them that I have to blink/wipe away. I've never experienced dry eyes before, but I think this is it...

Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
(female)

9na HB User

My optician told me that dry eyes could follow vitamin d-deficiency, and checked my eyes real thorough - it all looked fine now, probably a lot better since I've been wearing glasses the past weeks.
I got som test boxes of contact lenses that is supposed to be better for dry eyes, and I've tried one of the types a couple of times. Better than my regulars, absolutely, but I couldn't wear them an entire day like I always could before.
I ordered new glasses too, hopefully I'll get them soon. I liked them a lot, and it is of course a much cheeper solution to wear them all the time now that I have them. But I guess I'll order some contacts too, to use in situations when glasses are very impractical.

I'm surprised at how many areas this vitamin D is affecting!

Closed Thread