It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
Seeing "flashes" after bad coughing spell

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can help me here. Last week I had a very bad coughing/gagging spell after getting a cracker stuck in my throat. I pulled a muscle in my neck during this, and right afterwards, saw like wavy, circular lights in my vision. It was very similar to like when you look at a bright light then look away. That cleared up after a few hours, but now here a week later...yesterday and today I have been experiencing periods of these "flashes" in my vision again. Its like the bright spot is in the way of my vision. My left eye (same side as the pulled muscle) is also kinda hurting, very much like an eye strain type of pain, and I feel almost like I have a sinus headache - mostly on the left side.

Not sure if any of this is related, but for the past 5 weeks I have had a very bad cold, extreme sore throat and coughing, and had an eye infection in my left eye. All of that has cleared up, however, except I am still coughing a bit.

I plan to call the eye doctor tomorrow, but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone here might have experienced something similar or have any ideas? Its making me very nervous.

Thanks!

Carrie

Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

corinnebeth HB User
Re: Seeing "flashes" after bad coughing spell

Carrie:
I would sure see your dr, as the flashes came back it seems. a customer of my daughters at a bank she works for got a Retinal Detachment from throwing up so violently from food poisoning.
I sure hope you do not have a DT. You didn't say if you have veiled or partial vision in that eye.
Corrinebeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
Re: Seeing "flashes" after bad coughing spell

Corinnebeth,

Thank you for your reply - that was my fear as well. I went to the eye doctor yesterday and she did a complete exam - peripheral vision test, regular vision test, and 3D imaging of the entire eye including the retinas and she said both my eyes look completely normal. She thinks I am experiencing ocular migraines, most likely set off from that coughing fit I had.

I am feeling some pain around my right eye, but she says its not the eye itself and could be the muscle or area around the eye, which could be from sinus issues (which I do get) or from the muscle I pulled in my neck (trapezius muscle, which is making the entire right side of my head hurt).

So I guess I will give this a few weeks to see if I feel any better.

Thanks!
Carrie

Closed Thread