It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
(male)

Rico HB User
Black dots and squiggly line in my vision

i am myope with -10 in both eyes and i am 36 and normal weight (now).
i lose 20 kilos the last time and i start to see that strange black dots.

the opthalmologist says that its nothing with my eyes.
What is that who drive me crazy?
Please Help

PS also i can see these black dots (sometimes) when i change my view quickly (quick turn of the had) and its depents of the light.
Not in to much light or to dark (a middle condition)

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2011 at 05:36 AM.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Black dots and squiggly line in my vision

This is a very common condition, Rico. The dots are floaters, usually little pieces of protein that float in the vitreous (fluid) inside the eye. The wiggly black line could be a sign of partial vitreous detachment, where the membrane containing the vitreous detaches from the retina. This happens either with age or could be due to a blow to the head, a fall, etc.
As your ophthalmologist told you, it is usually nothing to worry about and will probably disappear in time or you will just get used to it and not notice it any more.
I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
(male)

Rico HB User

Thanks for your answer.
but what i see are not floaters.
I know the floaters and how they are. These dots who i am say,are more like electric irritation. Also i see some times at the blind point of the one eye a dark flash!. Who stay for just a quorter of a second and maybe less.
That happen when i look suddendly the open sky or move from inside to outside or when i keep my vision in a place for long time.
I just went back from nevrologist and he said that these are not important.
I went to nevrologist alone, cause my ophtalmologist sais that its not nessecary.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Rico. Thanks for the clarification. It sounds then as though this is more likely to be something causing electrical discharges of the light receptors in the retina. At 36, you are rather young to have vitreous detachment (PVD) but that is one possible cause of such symptoms. This is a common condition in older people (45+) and is usually of no concern.
Didn't the neurologist have any suggestions? To just send you away without any explanation seems strange.
You can do a search for PVD and see if that sounds like your condition.

Last edited by TopGeek; 04-18-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: typo

Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
(male)

Rico HB User

Well i allready have vitreus detachment but this was older (1 year ago and maybe more) and the opthalmologist sais that these syptoms are from there.
Also my vitreus its "dirty".
I can see 10/10 and has no problem of achromatopsi (at Isihara Test).
The starnge of me is that symptopms start 5 months ago when i lose the weight (20 kilos)and i was under very heavy gym program.
Now i dont exercise with weight only running and aerobic.
The nevrologist sais that i press my body with the diet and the hard exercise.

i allready went 3 time to diferent ophalmologist and they can find nothing.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

That's interesting and it points back to what I suggested in my first reply. The ophthalmologist telling you that your vitreous is 'dirty' suggests that you do have bits of debri floating in the vitreous (floaters) or perhaps even stuck to the inner limiting membrane. That would account for black dots that remain in a fixed position. Your symptoms could be aggravated by physical stress. The only way to clear the vitreous is to have a vitrectomy operation in which the vitreous is flushed out and is replaced by a saline solution. This is standard practice in all retinal operations but many eye surgeons will not do a 'floaters only vitrectomy' because it falls into the same category as cosmetic surgery. In other words, there is not sufficient medical justification. If the condition is really affecting your life, you could ask your ophthalmologist if he would conduct such an operation although it already sounds as though he is not sympathetic. Alternatively, approach a different ophthalmologist.
There are many people who do have this type of problem and it can be very annoying so it is really up to you to decide if you want to have a vitrectomy.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
(male)

Rico HB User

Thanks again for your answer.
But what make me feel strange is that i dont have fix dark points i have dark electric dots when i stay focus in a dark object. Every dot (not the same every time) stay there for a decade of a second and i can see for examble one to ten. then nothing.
Or in quick change (turn of mw had) of vision i small dots maybe appears for the same time.

Is it possible to have syptoms without illness?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I can only guess that you have 'debris' in the vitreous that is disturbed by your head movements. That would again correspond with your ophthalmologist saying that your vitreous is 'dirty'. Tiny particles can seem to appear and disappear as they move in and out of the focal point. I can't be sure that is what is happening but it would be a plausible explanation.
Electrical discharges are more visible in darkness and are seen as flashes of light,

Closed Thread