It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5
WITH HOPE HB User
Question Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

I had successful cataract surgery in my right eye on April 5th,2011. I have the "Monofocal - Intra Oculaire foldable lens" implanted. For medications: I have been prescribed Prednasolone for 4 weeks>(4drops a day for 1 week, 3drops a day for 1week, and continually lessening, etc.) and Vigamox>(4drops a day for 2 weeks).
I am very very happy as I CAN SEE! (nearly perfectly) through my "new eye"/implanted lens! but, I will be needing some reading glasses, to help a bit, eventually. Because the prescription in my "old" eyeglasses, for the right eye, is no longer correct, I went to an Optician, the day after surgery, and he removed the right lens from my eyeglasses, and replaced it with plain glass (with no prescription in it - called "plano" lens). But unfortunately, it is absolutely impossible to wear my eyeglasses now, because, for some strange reason, (which is a bit difficult to explain!) when I try to look through them, it seems as if both eyes are trying to adjust; feelings of seeing double and off balance-type of feelings. I cannot understand this?? because when I close the right eye (the cataract surgery one) I can see through the plano glass lens and then if I close the left eye, I can see just like always, through my prescription lens. BUT with both eyes open, YIKES! it is crazy, I cannot focus, it is very uncomfortable and just impossible to wear my eyeglasses, as if both eyes are trying to work together to see. So, I thought of getting just ONE contact lens to help this situation, and I went back to the Optician and asked him for a "sample" contact lens, to find out if it would make a difference because of this oddity of being unable to wear my eyeglasses....and > HURRAY!! great results! And, as I haven't worn contact lens in 15 years, I am pleasantly surprised at not having any discomfort, I am astounded as I cannot feel that I am wearing a contact lens at all! - plus as they are "progressive", I can even read through them!!- I am so glad now as I can see perfectly through both eyes, (as if I had that lasik surgery), and the bonus, of no more furniture on my nose! But still, I would greatly appreciate any explanations, similar experiences, etc. as to WHY I cannot wear the eyeglasses??! (I need to wait 5 more weeks until I can go to the Optometrist). Thank you!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,405
TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

It sounds as though there is now a large difference in the focal length of the two eyes. I have the same problem (+2.00d left and +6.50d right). Apparently, the implanted lens is supposed to be plano (no correction) but it is difficult to measure precisely so I ended up with +2.00d - quite a big error. I also tried the contact lens solution and found that it worked quite well but could not continue due to surface defects in my eye. I now have a unifocal lens in my spectacles for left eye and a progressive for the right eye.
Even so, the large difference between the two eyes is uncomfortable and is probably aggravated by the fact that I have other problems with the left eye.
In my case, my left eye cataract was caused by eye surgery so there is no reason to think I will ever have a cataract in the other eye. I would not risk surgery on the right eye just to implant a lens similar to the one in the left eye.
If your cataract occurred naturally, there is a higher chance that you will eventually get one in the other eye and that will be an opportunity for the surgeon to correct the difference.
I hope that seems like a reasonable explanation.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to TopGeek For This Useful Post:
WITH HOPE (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 618
JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

You have three choices: (1) a contact lens in the unoperated eye; (2) cataract surgery for your unoperated eye; (3) LASIK for your unoperated eye. Although there are some individual difference in what we can tolerate, nobody can see well when the difference in refractive error between the eyes is more than 3 diopters. The problem has to do with image size--it's not possible for our brain to fuse the two images when their size is this different. (A contact lens does not usually affect image size but a glasses lens does. A lens to correct nearsightedness minimizes the image; a lens to correct farsightedness maximizes it.)

Shame on your cataract surgeon and your optometrist for not explaining this to you in advance.

 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodieJ For This Useful Post:
karen608 (05-01-2012), WITH HOPE (04-18-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Posts: 1
drsaravana HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

your eye glasses will not work anymore due to the power difference between the operated eye and the unoperated eye. While wearing specs, the magnification of the image is different in the two eyes making it difficult for the brain to fuse and provide binocular single vision. You will also have difficulties in estimating depth and so driving may be a bit difficult with specs. till u decide to get the other eye surgery done, contacts may be a fine solution but could be quite cumbersome if u are not very dextrous.

 
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida USA
Posts: 12
stonecrest HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

Because your eyes work in tandem and have to be syncronized to do that. I have had monovision contact lenses, but they had to work together to see properly. If one eye is way off from the other, a contact lens in the proper sequence will bring your vision into focus. Hope this helps.

 
Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5
WITH HOPE HB User
Lightbulb Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

Just wanted to tell those who replied to my posting last year, of how I am with vision, as it was impossible to wear glasses, or contact lenses, after the cataract surgery! All of the stress and great disappointment, after the cataract surgery, of attempting eyeglasses and contact lenses and being unable to wear them as I was so uncomfortable, so dizzy etc.... led me to find a solution, on my own, naturally.
To explain: My right eye, which had the cataract surgery - miraculously has perfect vision !! > before the surgery it was myopic, which means that distant objects appear blurred. And my left eye, is still myopic (with blurred vision) - I have never had any surgeries in this eye. So, without any advice, without any suggestions from the Surgeon, nor the Optometrist, nor the Optician (which at the time was very disappointing and frustrating)> on my own, I have adapted to "seeing" and having vision > by using one eye that sees perfectly (after the cataract surgery) and one eye that sees blurry. Somehow, my eyes have adapted....I have learnt to see like this. I did not know, prior to the surgery, that I would have perfect vision > in the eye that had the cataract surgery. (I thought that this was only possible via laser surgery!) So for me, it has been POSSIBLE, to be"seeing" WITHOUT glasses or contact lenses. (ironically it came to be - I was without any choice!) The Opthamologist says that most probably, in a few years, I will need cataract surgey in the left eye, but for now....all is well! Perhaps someone else that has a similar problem may consider trying to "adapt", in the way in which I have. For me, it is wonderful to no longer be wearing "furniture" on my nose - I began to wear glasses at 8 years of age, and then "progressed" to HARD contact lenses (ouch!)etc. etc.. I am sharing this with others, as there were no "professionals" who suggested this to me! I found out on my own. I hope my story might help someone else!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
It sounds as though there is now a large difference in the focal length of the two eyes. I have the same problem (+2.00d left and +6.50d right). Apparently, the implanted lens is supposed to be plano (no correction) but it is difficult to measure precisely so I ended up with +2.00d - quite a big error. I also tried the contact lens solution and found that it worked quite well but could not continue due to surface defects in my eye. I now have a unifocal lens in my spectacles for left eye and a progressive for the right eye.
Even so, the large difference between the two eyes is uncomfortable and is probably aggravated by the fact that I have other problems with the left eye.
In my case, my left eye cataract was caused by eye surgery so there is no reason to think I will ever have a cataract in the other eye. I would not risk surgery on the right eye just to implant a lens similar to the one in the left eye.
If your cataract occurred naturally, there is a higher chance that you will eventually get one in the other eye and that will be an opportunity for the surgeon to correct the difference.
I hope that seems like a reasonable explanation.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to WITH HOPE For This Useful Post:
Looking4aAnswer (04-21-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lake tapps wa
Posts: 109
tubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

Glad to hear you figured it out. I am actually going thru the same thing right now...only had Cat. surgery in one eye and ended up -.75 (myopic) with good eye at +1 (hyperopic)
It has been 5 wks. post surgery and haven't yet gone to an Optomotrist as I am trying to let my eyes adapt and work together on their own for a while.

When I walk or drive, I get that uncomfortable feeling where images are not working together well.
May I ask what your final Diopters and or eye prescription numbers are now ?

 
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Josh5656 HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

Interesting discussion. I will have cataract surgery soon and will end up with a large difference between my corrected eye and the eye that did not have surgery. It will be about -5 diopters. I am highly near sighted.

Any other suggestions or experience in dealing with this potential problem?

 
Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,405
TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

We always think of the questions we should have asked the secialist after the event. They wizz you through the consultation in a flurry of confusion and it's only later that you say, "Yes, but .....".
My main question is, "Why do you choose an IOL that will give the operated eye zero correction in a person who has lived their whole life with balanced, if imperfect, vision in both eyes?" For most people who have a cataract operation on one eye, this must create the situation that we are talking about here, namely unbalanced vision between the two eyes.
Presumably they think that a cataract is likely to form in the other eye and that they will then be able to restore the balance.

 
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
boobootwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: london, ontario, canada
Posts: 211
boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

i had cataract surgery on both eyes in july. i had the same problem as you...in fact...i had to take a week off of work because i simply could not see properly with one eye corrected, so therefore, could not drive or do anything due to all of the problems it caused. my opthamologist said to take the lense out of my glasses for the operated eye....made it even worse. turns out that i have a lazy eye...not that you can even tell, because i'm not crosseyed in any way, but the fact is, that our eyes tend to work together...not separately. needless to say...my doc had to do the surgery on my other cataract, one week later. what a relief after i had them both done. my doc wanted to do my lazy eye first, due to the fact that i have sjogrens syndrome and that is my bad eye, so if anything went wrong or i couldn't handle the dryness, then i would still have my good eye. he actually should have done the good eye first and i probably wouldn't have had so many problems, since the lazy eye will not work on it's own. it will only aid my good eye. do you have cataracts in both eyes?

Last edited by Administrator; 11-03-2012 at 08:41 AM.

 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3
gladee HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

No solution for my problem. Expert opinion from head opthamologist at noted hospital said 5% of cataract operations have results that cause a problem that cannot be resolved. After innumerable prescription changes in glasses I tried both soft and hard lenses to no avail. Doctor said if contact lenses do not correct problem with near balance distortions DO NOT ELECT SURGERY(lasik) because it will not correct the problem.

 
Old 11-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,405
TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobootwo View Post
i had cataract surgery on both eyes in july. i had the same problem as you...in fact...i had to take a week off of work because i simply could not see properly with one eye corrected, so therefore, could not drive or do anything due to all of the problems it caused. my opthamologist said to take the lense out of my glasses for the operated eye....made it even worse. turns out that i have a lazy eye...not that you can even tell, because i'm not crosseyed in any way, but the fact is, that our eyes tend to work together...not separately. needless to say...my doc had to do the surgery on my other cataract, one week later. what a relief after i had them both done. my doc wanted to do my lazy eye first, due to the fact that i have sjogrens syndrome and that is my bad eye, so if anything went wrong or i couldn't handle the dryness, then i would still have my good eye. he actually should have done the good eye first and i probably wouldn't have had so many problems, since the lazy eye will not work on it's own. it will only aid my good eye. do you have cataracts in both eyes?

Amazing to discover that you have a lazy eye in adulthood. It's usually discovered in childhood and because the child has one eye that drifts out of alignment. However, that is not always a feature of lazy eye (amblyopia).
I also have a lazy eye (discovered at 3 years of age) and, although that eye can never focus correctly, I am still sensitive to the corrective lenses in my glasses. Because there is now such a large difference between the two eyes my ophthalmologist has prescribed a lens which further blurs the vision in my left (lazy) eye. She says this is because the brain cannot cope with such a large difference but I get a sharper image in the left eye if I remove my glasses. The right eye lens gives me perfect vision. Consequently, I'm not convinced that this is the correct lens pairing for me.
That is probbaly what your doc means by the lazy eye not working on its own.
Apparently, I have the early signs of a cataract forming in my right eye but it could be several years before it becomes necessary to operate.

 
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
boobootwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: london, ontario, canada
Posts: 211
boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
Amazing to discover that you have a lazy eye in adulthood. It's usually discovered in childhood and because the child has one eye that drifts out of alignment. However, that is not always a feature of lazy eye (amblyopia).
I also have a lazy eye (discovered at 3 years of age) and, although that eye can never focus correctly, I am still sensitive to the corrective lenses in my glasses. Because there is now such a large difference between the two eyes my ophthalmologist has prescribed a lens which further blurs the vision in my left (lazy) eye. She says this is because the brain cannot cope with such a large difference but I get a sharper image in the left eye if I remove my glasses. The right eye lens gives me perfect vision. Consequently, I'm not convinced that this is the correct lens pairing for me.
That is probbaly what your doc means by the lazy eye not working on its own.
Apparently, I have the early signs of a cataract forming in my right eye but it could be several years before it becomes necessary to operate.
i'm probably quite a bit older than you, so as a child, optometrists were not so familiar with lazy eye and they prescribed glasses hoping it would correct vision, but never did. needless to say...when i had to start seeing a specialist and this is quite a few years ago, he told me amblyopia was the case and it should have been corrected with a patch over the opposite eye, before i was 5 yrs old. was just a matter of much less knowledge back then. by the way...my eye is lazy but you could not tell by looking at it unless i went into a stare. then it has a tendency to drift. love my vision now with both cataracts removed, but still have to wear correctors to see close-up. oh well...can't have everything.

 
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,405
TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobootwo View Post
i'm probably quite a bit older than you, so as a child, optometrists were not so familiar with lazy eye and they prescribed glasses hoping it would correct vision, but never did. needless to say...when i had to start seeing a specialist and this is quite a few years ago, he told me amblyopia was the case and it should have been corrected with a patch over the opposite eye, before i was 5 yrs old. was just a matter of much less knowledge back then. by the way...my eye is lazy but you could not tell by looking at it unless i went into a stare. then it has a tendency to drift. love my vision now with both cataracts removed, but still have to wear correctors to see close-up. oh well...can't have everything.
It's unlikely that you are much older than me as I'm 73. Seventy years ago, my mother took me to an eye hospital because I had a squint. Their initial approach was corrective exercises but I also needed glasses due to long-sightedness. The next step was an eye patch on the good eye.
Unfortunately, my mother didn't enjoy having a child who wore glasses and an eye patch so she insisted that I didn't wear them in public. Consequently, I didn't wear glasses continuously until I was about 21. I cannot say if my mother's attitude worsened my situation or not but it certainly didn't help.
Like you, I still have strabismus when I relax the eye muscles but most observers wouldn't know it.

 
Old 12-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3
gladee HB User
Re: Opinions needed re: Impossible to wear glasses-after cataract surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
Amazing to discover that you have a lazy eye in adulthood. It's usually discovered in childhood and because the child has one eye that drifts out of alignment. However, that is not always a feature of lazy eye (amblyopia).
I also have a lazy eye (discovered at 3 years of age) and, although that eye can never focus correctly, I am still sensitive to the corrective lenses in my glasses. Because there is now such a large difference between the two eyes my ophthalmologist has prescribed a lens which further blurs the vision in my left (lazy) eye. She says this is because the brain cannot cope with such a large difference but I get a sharper image in the left eye if I remove my glasses. The right eye lens gives me perfect vision. Consequently, I'm not convinced that this is the correct lens pairing for me.
That is probbaly what your doc means by the lazy eye not working on its own.
Apparently, I have the early signs of a cataract forming in my right eye but it could be several years before it becomes necessary to operate.
Yes - cataracts in both eyes, but after the problem with right eye cataract removal I distrust any prognosis that assures me of better vision after another cataract surgery....since I am living proof that no one can guarantee me a positive outcome.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Always feel tired if I don't wear my glasses flyway Eye & Vision 2 07-01-2009 02:28 AM
Will the power of my eyes decrease if i didnt wear the glasses? samfisher Eye & Vision 3 04-19-2009 06:42 AM
seeing the bottom of my glasses when i wear them markyl85 Eye & Vision 3 07-16-2008 06:22 PM
Does anyone wear glasses indoors/at work to help with Blepharitis? peanut_1 Eye & Vision 1 10-11-2007 11:56 PM
What kind of glass can I wear? efang Eye & Vision 7 09-03-2007 06:39 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



JodieJ (11), tubint (11), Bleue (9), TopGeek (8), senior41 (8), Laura1000 (8), earthworm88 (7), Eagle (7), esker (7), ladybud (6)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1011), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (761), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!