It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
(male)

sniggity HB User
Blurry vision that switches eyes periodically

Hello, I have been having a film over my eye(s) the past three weeks. I am 35, healthy, no diabetes or anything else and my eyes are -1.50 each eye.

Well, one day I woke up and had my right eye a little cloudy and usually that is nothing unusual for me in the mornings. The thing is, it didn't go away and stuck around all day. That didn't worry me too much, so I used some Visine A and carried on. The next two or three days it still stuck around and then I started to worry a bit. It's like a thin film over my eye and if I rinse my eye under the faucet it will clear up for a few minutes, but after ten minutes or so, it goes right back to being blurry again. There is no pain, no itching and no feeling of something in my eyes. Just the blurred vision.

Last week, it started attacking my left eye and I would rinse, use eye drops, use Bausch and Lomb Sterile solution and that seemed to help for about a half hour, but....you guessed it, cloudy again. Then it started out one morning (on a really bad) foggy, like when your glasses fog up when you walk in from outside on a hot day. That lasted about a half hour and i finally got that to go away and back to being just blurry.

I'm at my wit's end here. I've been to two eye doctors and my family doctor and I got Restasis from having chronic dry eye from my Opthamologist but it just burns the hell out of my eyes. I mean, for like 4 hours straight, it just burns. So, no thank you for that.

I can't be the only person who has ever had this "film" over the eye problem ! Also there has to be another form of eye drop to give me other than Restasis, but when I called back the secretary was really rude and told me to keep using it because it works. I actually got mad at her because she just wouldn't hear what I was saying and just told me to keep using it, the doctor wasn't in and I couldn't leave a message. I will call again on Monday though.

Thanks for letting me get this out. any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
Re: Blurry vision that switches eyes periodically

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggity View Post
Hello, I have been having a film over my eye(s) the past three weeks. I am 35, healthy, no diabetes or anything else and my eyes are -1.50 each eye.

Well, one day I woke up and had my right eye a little cloudy and usually that is nothing unusual for me in the mornings. The thing is, it didn't go away and stuck around all day. That didn't worry me too much, so I used some Visine A and carried on. The next two or three days it still stuck around and then I started to worry a bit. It's like a thin film over my eye and if I rinse my eye under the faucet it will clear up for a few minutes, but after ten minutes or so, it goes right back to being blurry again. There is no pain, no itching and no feeling of something in my eyes. Just the blurred vision.

Last week, it started attacking my left eye and I would rinse, use eye drops, use Bausch and Lomb Sterile solution and that seemed to help for about a half hour, but....you guessed it, cloudy again. Then it started out one morning (on a really bad) foggy, like when your glasses fog up when you walk in from outside on a hot day. That lasted about a half hour and i finally got that to go away and back to being just blurry.

I'm at my wit's end here. I've been to two eye doctors and my family doctor and I got Restasis from having chronic dry eye from my Opthamologist but it just burns the hell out of my eyes. I mean, for like 4 hours straight, it just burns. So, no thank you for that.

I can't be the only person who has ever had this "film" over the eye problem ! Also there has to be another form of eye drop to give me other than Restasis, but when I called back the secretary was really rude and told me to keep using it because it works. I actually got mad at her because she just wouldn't hear what I was saying and just told me to keep using it, the doctor wasn't in and I couldn't leave a message. I will call again on Monday though.

Thanks for letting me get this out. any ideas?
Hi sniggity,
What you were descibing is what I call the "windshield effect". We see out of our eyes the same way we see out of the windshield of a car. You know, when it first drizzles before turning on the wipers, the windshield is not looking so good with blotches here and there, the view is not nice and crisp (the same we experience when our tear film evaporates). But once you have your wipers on (providing there is enough water), the windshield has a uniformly thin film of water on it making the view nice and clear. Same idea as you were using the sterile solution, but the view is crappy again once the film evaporates, right? The difference is our eyes need that nice clear healthy tear film on at all time.

Besides the medicated eyedrops, were you advised of more "holistic" approach? You are right, no matter how good a medication is, if the patient is suffering from its ill effects, then the compliance becomes zero, so then what good is that treatment? If you google dry eyes, you will come up with a lot of sites with plenty of suggestions for treatment and management. This is what I usually recommend:

1) Lidscrubs. You don't need to have blepharitis to do this. But the frequency will be a lot less depending on the patient, but it's just for the mechanical massage and good proper hygiene (won't hurt, except on the pocket a little)

2) warm compresses 2-3x a day. Some people like to use warm wash cloth, some use rice bags, some use reuseable mini snap heating pads (use with caution). If you are a tea drinker (using tea bags), use the bag after and just keep them on your eyes until they cool (killing 2 birds with 1 stone)

3) Artificial tears. Get the kind with a thicker viscosity. I don't think I am allowed to list out the brands. The doctors usually have free samples for you to try, or at least some coupons so you can try it at a reduced price.
(You won't feel ripped off if it doesn't work out)

4) Avoid any drops that "take the red away". It will likely make your dry eyes worse.

5) Avoid direct fan/AC blowing at your face. Keep the vent in the car facing downward, or better yet, if not too hot, keep it for lower feet vent.

6) Take flaxseed oil, omega 3 oil supplements. or eat more fish

7) Drink lots of water (yes, plain H20)

8) Depending on which type of dry eye you have, punctal plugs can help reserve the tears in your eyes. There are temporary and "permanent" solutions. The temporary collagen kind will dissolve with time, it gives you an idea of whether this type of treatment works for you or not, if it does, go for the "permanent" kind which unfortunately is costly.

Restasis has been found to be very effective (albeit costly) against dry eyes. But it is unfortunate that you are having a tough time with it. I think there are other alternative solutions than simply relying on one thing alone to fight the battle. At the end of the day, I think we all just want to get back the right healthy tear film and I can't imagine depending on the eyedrops forever. I hope you get to talk to your doctor about your issue and try to come up with a solution(s) that work best for you.

Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to earthworm88 For This Useful Post:
sniggity (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
(male)

sniggity HB User

Thank you so much for that thought out, very helpful post. I haven't found such useful information in two weeks of searching google. I come here one day and a great person such as yourself gives me more advice in one post than I've had from three doctors and hundreds of pages on google. Thanks again, I will heed everything you said.

I also went out today and bought Similasan All Natural Dry Eye Relief and I'm giving that a shot too.

Thank you and I will let you know what happens in a few weeks !

Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggity View Post
Thank you so much for that thought out, very helpful post. I haven't found such useful information in two weeks of searching google. I come here one day and a great person such as yourself gives me more advice in one post than I've had from three doctors and hundreds of pages on google. Thanks again, I will heed everything you said.

I also went out today and bought Similasan All Natural Dry Eye Relief and I'm giving that a shot too.

Thank you and I will let you know what happens in a few weeks !
Hi sniggity,
You are absolutely welcome! I am glad I can be of help. I hope that you will find the eyedrops that work for you for the time being until you can get your eyes to produce their own nice quality tear films. I had used briefly the Similasan just to see what it felt like and had given out samples to patients with no complaints. Most drops work, some just work better for us than others. Systane (I have no financial interest in this company) preservative free is worth looking into if Simi fails. But give it a couple weeks of trial. Just can't stress enough that this mode of treatment is not permanent, so we need to nip the problem in the butt before it worsens. Unfortunately as we get older, this type of issue becomes quite common, so a change of habit can go a long way.
Wish you the best of luck in getting this sorted and keep me posted
Take care.
Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to earthworm88 For This Useful Post:
sniggity (06-26-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
(male)

sniggity HB User

I will definitely try Systane.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
(male)

sniggity HB User

I have tried it, among other things and I'm still not able to see out of my left eye. I'm at my wit's end, my left eye is so blurred today that all I can really see is shapes and colors. My right eye is crystal clear. The opthamologist sees nothing wrong and even put plugs in my eyes, but they came out after a couple months, they didn't help anyways. Please, if there is anybody with any ideas, please rattle them off, I haven't been able to drive in almost a year !!! There is no other symptom and my eye looks fine, it's just blurred as hell. Could there be something going on with my retina? I'm have a feeling that it is fluid related because it does switch eyes if I start sleeping on the opposite side for a few days, how that happens baffles me.

Anyways, thanks once more. Please help me.

Closed Thread