HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Eye & Vision (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/eye-vision/)
-   -   TORIC IOL IMPLANTS after cataract surgery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/eye-vision/861819-toric-iol-implants-after-cataract-surgery.html)

Muskegon 07-30-2011 07:54 PM

TORIC IOL IMPLANTS after cataract surgery

I just want to let anyone with astigmatism who is having cataract surgery know my experience after having opted (at additional cost) for Toric lens implants. My surgeries were Jun 14 and 28, 2011 and the results have been WONDERFUL. I am so glad I made the additional investment. I've since spoken to an acquaintance who, with the same conditions, chose not to go with Toric IOLs because of the additional cost over what Medicare would pay. He now very much regrets being as he stated: "Pennywise and pound foolish".

I know my own concerns and fears prior to surgery and just want to reassure anyone considering cataract surgery that it was quick and painless. Administering all those drops was a very small price to pay for being able to see so clearly and beautifully again. I am fortunate that I have no medical conditions or take any prescription medicines but that is something you need to discuss thoroughly with your MD and opthamologist. :) Good luck!

tubint 08-12-2011 08:13 AM

Re: TORIC IOL IMPLANTS after cataract surgery

What is the difference with Toric lenses ? I had vitrectomy 2 months ago and am sure I will need cataract surgery in the near future, so am trying to learn what I can.

thank you for sharing your experience.

Muskegon 08-12-2011 05:21 PM

At the time a person has cataract surgery, the opthamologist will insert a new lense. Prior to the surgery, the patients needs to make an informed decision as to what type of lense(s) they want (and can afford). There are numerous types. HOWEVER, if a person has astigmatism, their choice of the type of lense is more limited. To my knowledge after doing research, TORIC is the "cadillac" choice available for those with astigmatism.

If you don't have astigmatism then you will have more choices. Prior to learning my astigmatism was to severe for them, I was seriously considering Crystalenses.

I hope this helps.

tubint 08-13-2011 08:49 AM

thank you !

Looking4aAnswer 03-10-2012 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=Muskegon;4811935]I just want to let anyone with astigmatism who is having cataract surgery know my experience after having opted (at additional cost) for Toric lens implants. My surgeries were Jun 14 and 28, 2011 and the results have been WONDERFUL. I am so glad I made the additional investment. I've since spoken to an acquaintance who, with the same conditions, chose not to go with Toric IOLs because of the additional cost over what Medicare would pay. He now very much regrets being as he stated: "Pennywise and pound foolish".

I know my own concerns and fears prior to surgery and just want to reassure anyone considering cataract surgery that it was quick and painless. Administering all those drops was a very small price to pay for being able to see so clearly and beautifully again. I am fortunate that I have no medical conditions or take any prescription medicines but that is something you need to discuss thoroughly with your MD and opthamologist. :) Good luck![/QUOTE]

Muskegon: I was just doing some research on here to find others who have had this procedure done and found yours. I also had this done and paid the extra cost for the specialized lenses because I had astigmatism at a very high range. I'm pleased with the results and although I had to choose the lens that concentrates on the distance or up close vision, wearing glasses for the distance has been acceptable since I wore them for that in the past. Glad to hear you are pleased with yours as well. :wave:

JRMob 03-14-2012 08:34 PM

I'm scheduled to have cataract surgery next week - my Dr wants to inplant the Alcon Toric IOLs. For some reason, I'm not able to read the posts on this thread. Would appreciate if you'd share your Toric IOL experiences.
I am considering canceling the Toric and going with the standard lens implant, due to a lack of info on the web from patients post op point of view.
Thanks so much for any info you can share about you or someone you know after Toric implants

tubint 03-15-2012 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=JRMob;4944659]I'm scheduled to have cataract surgery next week - my Dr wants to inplant the Alcon Toric IOLs. For some reason, I'm not able to read the posts on this thread. Would appreciate if you'd share your Toric IOL experiences.
I am considering canceling the Toric and going with the standard lens implant, due to a lack of info on the web from patients post op point of view.
Thanks so much for any info you can share about you or someone you know after Toric implants[/QUOTE]

My cataract surgery is next week too...no toric, but just monofocal Tecnis ZCB00. I only have .75 astigmatism and have had previous retinal surgery on this eye, so didn't think the additional benefit of the Toric lens would do me much good.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help...I do know your quandary with these critical decisions as you have to live with the result the rest of your life (removing IOL's later if you are not happy is risky).
Good luck !

Muskegon 03-16-2012 09:17 AM

I decided in favor of the Toric IOL's after speaking with two individuals who had them. The surgery was July 2011. Even though they were $850 each over insurance, I feel they are well worth it. Am completely happy with them. I did develop the "haze" and had to have the YAG laser surgery Feb this year. I had barely noticed the problem (of which I had been forewarned and knew about because of my internet research) but after the YAG I could seen even better. I am very glad I chose the Toric lenses. I can see distances, intermediate and up close well. Although for smaller print or dimmer light, I do use OTC reading glasses. Again, I was told this might be the case. I wish you good success with whatever you select. I thank the Lord every day for my "new" eyes!!