It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
(male)

MyEyes HB User
Exclamation Discharge/Gunk in my Tear Ducts every morning!

Background info provided below. I bolded the very important info.

This issue started when I was dancing with some of my friends, and a random girl's hand swiped across my eye (left, I believe). I didn't think much of it then, but a few days later, I woke up with my left eye completely closed by pus, similar to pink eye symptoms. (I also remember I got a cold around the same time). Gunk also covered my right eye, but it was not fully closed. I went to the local medical center and received medicine for pink eye. After being on the medicine for the specified amount of time, I still woke up every morning with a small amount of pus/gunk in both of the corners of my eyes.

When I went to my eye doctor a few weeks later, he told me it wasn't pink eye but rather an infection. He put me on some type of steroid for two weeks; the bottle says "Tobramycin and Dexamethasone Opthalmic Suspension USP .3%/.1%"." They really didn't work as he promised, so I let the issue go. A few months later when I saw him again, he just said I'm probably sleeping with my eyes slightly cracked or I'm overwearing my contacts. I tried wearing my contacts less, and the gunk somewhat lessened. Still, the issue wasn't resolved. I tried the steroids he gave me again, hoping for better results. Still, nothing.

So, where I stand now is as follows. For the past eleven months, I have woken up each morning with gunk in each of the corners of my eyes. Also, if I take a nap or sleep at all really, I get the gunk. The gunk is sometimes a dark-ish yellow, and other times it is rather clear. It often extends over my pupils/iris and other times under my bottom eye lid. It is also sometimes right on my tear duct. Additionally, longer sleep normally equates to more gunk and darker yellow gunk. It's very string-y, and I always remove it by rolling up the edge of a tissue and placing it on the gunk. I should note that I wear Gas Permeable contact lenses every day for about 12 to 16 hours a day. I also do not believe I have any allergies, or at least not that I know of. This whole issue started with getting hit in the eye, anyway.

So, I really just want to get rid of the gunk. It's really pestersome to remove every morning. PLEASE HELP MEEEE!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User
Re: Discharge/Gunk in my Tear Ducts every morning!

Get another opinion from a different doctor, preferably an ophthalmologist (rather than an optometrist.)

Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
(female)

maysmom HB Usermaysmom HB User

Are you wearing disposable contacts? If not, start there and stop wearing the ones you have. You said the symptoms lessened when you wore your contacts less so it sounds like a definite connection there.

I wear glasses mainly now but used to wear contacts all the time. Now I'm into bifocals and allergies so bad most of the time I can't even think of wearing them, so no contacts as much now. Anyway, I'd give the contacts a break, really put the medication to your eyes as directed by your physician - and yes get a new eye doctor perhaps. Totally get rid of the infection and then go back to the contacts - disposables...

Your eyesight isn't something to fool around with.

Best of luck getting better, I sympathize with you!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
(male)

MyEyes HB User

Thank you very much for the replies. I'm seeing a new doctor who specializes in this type of stuff. Hopefully he will be able to help.

Closed Thread