Problem: 10 yr old girl. what can we do to control her pain from the eyes and light sensitivity along with the cough. Her coughing can be connected to the tearing from her eyes [quite a bit]. so when she starts coughing her pain slowly starts.
11 yr old girl. Glaucoma on one eye with less than 5% vision or less.Other eye has no vision and was not formed during birth. Also have a condition called: Peter's Anomaly. Conditions: Nystragamus in eye which has no vision, but slight. [personal findings: Pax6 geneticchromosome is primary cause for peter's anomaly and underdevelopment of one of her eyes[one with no vision].Slight strabismus. Possible that the one which has no vision is causing the pain to the other eye and causing the cough. X ray in 2 different ways taken but doctors found no infection of an sort in lungs.
[Another Doctors misdiagnosed: prednisone to control cough but that lead to elevated ocular pressure to 26], was told to stop medication immediately and used only Proventil inhaler to control cough. Initially when cough started... gave her cough medication like Alka seltzer effervescent tabs, and some other allergy decongestant tabs it did not do much to control cough but pain subsided. She told us after careful analysis that when
her eye starts to get painful her cough starts. She was not like this for the past 10+ years or at least we noticed. She took amoxicillin clavulanate initially when cough started given by doctor and later Zithromax for 3 days but nothing helped.
Current Pressure one eye with vision: 26+, previously 20-22
Medications used currently for Galucoma:
1. Dorzolamide Timolol Maleate Opthalmic Solution (Cosopt) - 2x a day
2. Brimonnidine Tartrate 0.2 - 3x a day
3. Atropine Sulfate 1% - 2x a day
4. Xalatan (Latanoprost) - 1x @ bedtime
5. Erythromycin Ointment 0.5% for her eyes.
Medications we are using to control her pain in both eyes:
1. Refresh Optiva for Dry eye [Carboxymethyl Celluose sodium 0.5%, Glycerin 0.9%]- used 3-4x a day or as needed [findings: found not to be effective at all at least not in this new problem with the pain, but worked previously]
2. Zaditor [Ketotifen Fumarate ophthalmic solution antihistamin eyedrops] - used as needed =- 4-5x day [findings: found to lessen pain for her more than Refresh Optiva]
Surgeries done since day one of birth: 20+ or more
Type: laser around perimeter of eye to control pressure + Installed shuns and other laser treatments by Vanderbilt Pediatric Opthamology center by 2 senior professors of pediatric ophthalmology. Her condition has been studied by doctors from places like John Hopkins university and other institutions around United States but nothing
found. It is highly depressing to know that not much medical progress has been made for conditions like hers.