It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
(male)

Rydog2345 HB User
Cup-to-Disc Asymmetry

I went to have my annual vision checkup last Friday. My optometrist said that he wants to see me again in 3 months because my left eye has a 30% cup-to-disc ratio and my right eye has a 40% cup-to-disc ratio. He said he did not notate that on my visit one year ago and was slightly concerned. Every other test on my eyes were normal and I have 20/15 vision. I'm a white male, 34 years old, without any known family history of glaucoma. Considering I usually have high anxiety about money, health, etc., I'm kinda freaking out about this. He said it was a strong chance it was nothing to worry about, but he just wants to be able to "sleep at night" knowing I'm ok. What do the eye experts think about this? Thanks.

Last edited by Rydog2345; 12-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

Blondie84 HB User
Re: Cup-to-Disc Asymmetry

I wouldn't worry just yet. This is why your optom wants to see you in a few months to note if there are any changes to the C/D ratio and presumably a fields test. Primary open angle glaucoma doesn't happen overnight hence the monitoring. African-Americans are slightly at a higher risk of developing glaucoma in the third and fourth decades compared to other races, so unless you're in that category I wouldn't panic.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Blondie84; 12-27-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread