It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

Summer3474 HB User
Blurred vision after using PC

Even though I can easily read everything on my PC's monitor, after I'm using the computer for 20 minutes or so, I notice the words start getting blurry. I recently had my eye prescription updated and new glasses. My new glasses have progressive lenses, but they don't work for the computer. I have to raise my head to see through the bottom lenses and that's too hard to do.

The eye doctor suggested I get a new chair to use for our computer. I tried that, but the chairs get me up too high to reach the keyboard and I my knees hit the desk, so different chairs aren't going to work.

I'm wondering why my vision blurs if I can read the screen easily. I was told I could buy a second pair of glasses just to see the screen, but that means more $$$$$$$$$$$$ going out the window. $210 for an inexpensive second pair, plus the lenses is a lot of money for me as I'm retired and like lots of people, we're not well off. Before I give in to that solution, I'd like to know what could be causing this eye strain, if that's what it is?

I'm wondering if Wal-Mart's vision service is good and if I use them to get a second pair of glasses will really save me money. Thanks much.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Blurred vision after using PC

It is common to get dry eyes while using the computer because we don't blink as often. Dry eyes can cause blurriness. Try something like refresh. I sometimes use a few vials at one time and it helps as I have severe dry eyes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mel52 For This Useful Post:
Summer3474 (03-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
(female)

Summer3474 HB User

You don't think it's a vision problem?! I'm surprised and never thought of that. I wore contacts at one time and remember what dry eyes were like. I'll see what I can find at a drug store. You suggested a product called "Refresh"?

I'd say my eyes are level with the center of the screen and I do have to look up often. I'm also going to discuss this with my eye doctor. She never mentioned the possibility of dry eyes, but maybe it's one of those obvious things that just didn't occur to her. Thanks for the tip and will report back after trying a dry eye product.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Systane eyedrops is better for dry eyes, lasts longer.

Increase font size on computer and it will help. On my computer I can do this by holding down the Ctrl key and rolling the mouse wheel up or down to desired font size. This eleminated the need of special computer glasses.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

Summer3474 HB User

I bought a dry eye product a pharmacist suggested and while it's not perfect, there does seem to be less blurring. I bought TheraTears, but I'm going to try some others to find which works best for me. Thanks to all of you who posted here suggesting that it might be dry eye problem and for product suggestions. Here's hoping I can find an even better product, but at least I was able to spend a lot more time on the pc than I had been. I also grabbed a thick decorative pillow to boost me up a bit. It helps. Thank you all very much. Happy Spring!

Closed Thread