It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

stonecrest HB User
Angry Restor Cataract Lenses not working

I had cataract surgery 10 days ago with the ReStor lens implanted in my left eye. I was told that I would be able to see distance, intermediate (computer) and read without glasses. I see at a distance, but it is hazy. I cannot see the computer or read. I also had astigmatism correction at the time of the surgery. My doctor said I should wait for the eye to heal. Am I being impatient or is this lens not the correct one for me?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
(male)

Splish HB User
Re: Restor Cataract Lenses not working

Hi Stonecrest,

Sorry to hear about your vision after your cataract operation. The Restor lens is a multifocal lens implant that has concentric rings throughout the lens to allow you to see both far and close up. This means that it can cause visual symptoms such as those you describe. There are a couple of reasons why you might be having difficulty with your vision.

Firstly, the lens is "sized" before the surgery and it is pretty tricky for any surgeon to get the strength just right and leave you without any residual glasses prescription. If this is the case, once your vision stabilises, it may be possible to have your surgeon or another surgeon address and residual presciption using laser.

Secondly, your symptoms may be related to the multifocal lens design. If this is the case then you may be best to allow your brain to adapt to the new image and your awareness of the problems will diminish over time. If you need to have the other eye done you could ask your surgeon about some of the newer lens designs that provide distance, mid and close vision without concentric rings. Read up about the Oculentis Mplus, which is big in Europe.

Best to discuss all the options with your surgeon.

Good luck.

S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
(female)

stonecrest HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splish View Post
Hi Stonecrest,

Sorry to hear about your vision after your cataract operation. The Restor lens is a multifocal lens implant that has concentric rings throughout the lens to allow you to see both far and close up. This means that it can cause visual symptoms such as those you describe. There are a couple of reasons why you might be having difficulty with your vision.

Firstly, the lens is "sized" before the surgery and it is pretty tricky for any surgeon to get the strength just right and leave you without any residual glasses prescription. If this is the case, once your vision stabilises, it may be possible to have your surgeon or another surgeon address and residual presciption using laser.

Secondly, your symptoms may be related to the multifocal lens design. If this is the case then you may be best to allow your brain to adapt to the new image and your awareness of the problems will diminish over time. If you need to have the other eye done you could ask your surgeon about some of the newer lens designs that provide distance, mid and close vision without concentric rings. Read up about the Oculentis Mplus, which is big in Europe.

Best to discuss all the options with your surgeon.

Good luck.

S

Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

stonecrest HB User

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. The ReStor is simply not working for me. I have to wait until the 20th to see my surgeon. I cannot see clearly at any distance, and since my other eye is near sighted only, I can no longer drive. This is simply not acceptable. I am anxious to hear what my surgeon has to say. I would like at this point to have this lens explanted, and put in a distance only lens.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

stonecrest HB User

Nope. I had the cataract surgery at St. Luke's in Tarpon Springs, Fl, on March 23, 2012. The reason I have blurry vision at all distances with the ReStor lens is that also I had astigmatism correction at the time of surgery. The astigmatism correction was MISCALCULATED, and I am left with some astigmatism which is causing the blurry vision. I am told that I must wait three months for the eye to heal. After that they will go in with laser and "try" to give me "better" vision.

Closed Thread