It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
(male)

flameboy28 HB User
Eye Light Flash symptoms, worried?? Help??

Hey guys, I will start with my story and give some background information after having done some research. So I am a 20 yr. old male, college student, been wearing glasses and contacts, contacts for about 7 of those yrs., for about 10 yrs now, nearsighted with a around a -6.0 on both eyes. I just started a new quarter this week. And recently, within the last 2 days I have noticed these light flashes taking place in very edge of my left eye, they occur frequently, few times an hour or more, but just for a split second and go away. And then there is the issues of floaters, i have been seeing them since i was a little kid, even notice them when i wear glasses, but do not see them when i wear contacts. Before this the 2 days prior to the light flashes, whenever I turned my head to the extreme right, I would get a sharp migrane/headache pain, I thought that happened because I had not gotten enough sleep the past few nights, but since I have caught up on sleep and this does not happen anymore. As well, after doing some research, I noticed that it could also be due to a spike in blood pressure and in this past week or so, I have been eating pure junk food and no to very few veggies and not drinking enough water. So maybe that could be it... But then I read that there could PVD or retinal detachement. But that usually occurs in people who are middle aged, can it really happen to someone my age? And with floaters, i cannot tell if it is something or not because i already see them before this started. Maybe it could be nothing and I am blowing it out of proportion idk, but I wanted to ask and get an opinion here. I cannot see the doctors until the end of next week and then a while longer to get a referral to am ophthalmologist, so I could maybe get some insight here first. I apologize for being long winded, but I am one of those types of people and worry whenever I see any problem occur.

Last edited by flameboy28; 04-07-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Eye Light Flash symptoms, worried?? Help??

Get to an eye doctor as soon as possible. Can you go to a vision care place for a checkup? Even a regular retail place that does eyeglass prescriptions can very easily determine if your retina is healthy or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
flameboy28 (04-07-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
(male)

flameboy28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Get to an eye doctor as soon as possible. Can you go to a vision care place for a checkup? Even a regular retail place that does eyeglass prescriptions can very easily determine if your retina is healthy or not.
That's what I will do when the weekday starts, every place is closed, and after I call my insurance to see what which place around my area takes my health insurance since I am at school an hour away from my usual home. I have not noticed any changes in vision or anything just these flashes that still happen. But yes, I am going to go check it out for sure. IDK what is going on, it could be nothing, or it could be something... has me worried just as much.

Last edited by flameboy28; 04-07-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You may be able to find local providers on your insurance company's website. Have your card handy.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
(male)

flameboy28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
You may be able to find local providers on your insurance company's website. Have your card handy.
Yea, I tried that and came up with nothing, like it says I have VSP, yet when I go to VSP website and enter in my info. nothing shows up. So, I will give them a call Monday, and set up an appt. time hopefully that same day, or Tuesday. It is just the flashing, at the very left edge of my left eye, that is still going on, no changes in anything else. I see floaters when I look up at light and focus in on them, but other than that I look straight through them. I can even pay out of pocket if needed, as I would just do a regular eye exam, and ask them about the situation, but it would be best if the exam was covered.

Last edited by flameboy28; 04-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
(male)

flameboy28 HB User

Guess I forgot to update, anyway, I went to the eye doctors, they did the whole thing. Great doctor by the way, he really took care of me. Eye exam, and took pictures of my retina, the whole thing. He said nothing was wrong and it looks normal, and it seem the flashes are subduing. So I am relieved.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Awesome! So glad your eye is fine.

Closed Thread