It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
(male)

igourlay HB User
Question Detached retina & tilted vision

I've had three operations to repair the retina in one eye. Initially it was torn but later became detached and scar tissue formed. The last op was 8 weeks ago and the vision, when I close my good eye, is noticeably tilted about 20 degrees from the horizontal. Also due to the image being offset, there is double vision although because the vision is weak/dark in the problem eye, this isn't really noticeable with both eyes open. I'm getting conflicting medical advice of how this will develop. Apart from agreement that a cataract is forming and will need to be removed at some time in the next year, one view is that it may take up to a year to fully heal and the vision should improve towards normal, the other view is that it will not improve anymore from how it is now. Anyone with a similar experience?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
(female)

tubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB User
Re: Detached retina & tilted vision

Hello,
I had ERM Vitrectomy surgery May 2011, and then Catract surgery 7 weeks ago (cataract forms from Vitrectomy). The Scar tissue (ERM) Had pulled on my retina/macula and caused traction along with swelling. This traction and swelling distorted my retina/macula/photoreceptors just enough to cause mild distortion in that eye now that surgery and healing is over.

I can tell you that my distortion has improved slightly through the year as my retina swelling improved slightly. My retina sp. says at this time my retina swelling will probably always remain at this increased thickness because it has been a year since Vitrectomy. He says it's like wrinkled clothing that never goes back to laying flat.

I don't think the Doctors really know if the distortion will go away or not, it all depends on your retina and how it is healing after the surgery. What I suggest is that you review your OCT test results with your Doctor and take a close look at remaining swelling and condition or your retina. This should explain a lot.

Hope this helps. Don't give up hope, the body is an amazing healing machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igourlay View Post
I've had three operations to repair the retina in one eye. Initially it was torn but later became detached and scar tissue formed. The last op was 8 weeks ago and the vision, when I close my good eye, is noticeably tilted about 20 degrees from the horizontal. Also due to the image being offset, there is double vision although because the vision is weak/dark in the problem eye, this isn't really noticeable with both eyes open. I'm getting conflicting medical advice of how this will develop. Apart from agreement that a cataract is forming and will need to be removed at some time in the next year, one view is that it may take up to a year to fully heal and the vision should improve towards normal, the other view is that it will not improve anymore from how it is now. Anyone with a similar experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
(male)

igourlay HB User
Re: Detached retina & tilted vision

Thanks for the advice. My doctor also mentioned the wrinked clothing analogy for the retina but implied that this would smooth itself out over time. The second doctor used a wallpaper analogy but implied that once the retina is detached, it will not be positioned in exactly the same way again, hence the offset & tilted vision, which wouldn't correct itself over time. Seems to be just a matter now of waiting to see how it develops.

Closed Thread