It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Kato HB UserKato HB User
Question How do you deal with your low vision

I am legally blind due to retinitis pigmentosa. I have less than 10 degree of visual field. I have to learn a whole set of new skills to deal with daily tasks. I also have to use a guide dog to help me get around safely.

It has been a long and difficult adjustment process for me, how do you deal with your low vision issue?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User
Re: How do you deal with your low vision

Hi Kato. I had perfect vision until the first week of October 2006, when my vision problems started. Now I am legally blind as well. I went from reading daily to not reading. From driving to not driving.

For me, I have adjusted, but it seems to be a stop/start love/hate thing. I was recently approved (end of November) for SSDI finally, and with the "backpay" I was able to buy myself a Kindle. Now I am reading books again! And 2 magazines that I love to read are on there also.

I have to be careful about new places, because my depth perception is off. I tend to get a few bruises on my shoulder/arm area when visiting a new building or location. I hate to admit this, but I tend to not go out much...makes life easier. I went from being able to go anywhere I wanted with no difficulty (except perhaps financial hehe), to now I plan things. If it's night, I don't go out unless my son is with me. If it's cloudy or rainy, same thing. I stick to walking routes I know. Recently, the main way to the grocery store to me was blocked, so I turned around and went home. I didn't feel I could handle the construction going on safely enough.

I haven't gotten the guide dog yet. For me, that is the final acknowledgement, if that makes sense?

And I spend time on the computer, where I can make things as large as I want them to be. And I always carry my magnifying glass with me - more out of habit though, it's been a few years since I've been actually able to really use it, since it doesn't enlarge things enough.

It's tough to lose your vision somewhat suddenly, but still retain part of it. But, I'm thankful for what vision I do have....because for 2 weeks I was totally blind, and I"ll tell you what, it stunk big time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
(male)

Relay HB User
Re: How do you deal with your low vision

I have been legally blind since 2000 and it is no fun and very limiting. I find that like BlindMom, the house is the safest and most comforatble place to be. However, isolation is very unhealthy, and I go out every chance I get especially with another fully sighted person. The Kindle has helped a lot as I enlarge text, and other similar tricks we all learn. And, like BlindMom, I am grateful for the vision that I do have because I know that if this was 60 years ago, I would have no sight at all. I guess we all have our own individual losses of all sorts as time moves on, and this is mine.

Closed Thread

Tags
blidness, guide dog, low vision, retinitis pigmentosa