It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

anwaname HB User
Question Worsening Night Vision?

Hello all. Sorry if this is a bit long.

It seems as though over the last semester or so, my night vision has gotten progressively worse, though I can't think of any reason that would be. I've noticed this mostly while driving. Even with overhead lighting oncoming headlights (and often those close behind as well) make it almost nightmarish to see clearly. It's like everything dims way down and the focus goes kind of soft. Distances go a bit weird too. I usually just have to focus on the taillights in front of me, or the white line beside the car. I've also noticed that if I come into a well lit area, things seem flat, almost 2-D and the star-burst/halo around streetlamps seems to be much brighter/denser than normal.

My last exam was about six months ago and everything was normal. I had noticed a bit, but at the time, I thought it was stress from school and my very old glasses with my very not up to date prescription that took a couple of bad dips in the river last summer during an internship.

I've tried everything I can think of. I still have to drive once a week after dark because of an ongoing, off campus group, but otherwise I avoid it as much as I can.

I've never had this sort of problem before, in fact, I've always had fairly good night vision, all things considered.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Any advice/suggestions? It will be at least the end of next month before I can get back home and to my normal doc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
(male)

whynotme HB User
Re: Worsening Night Vision?

Hi,
I had a similar problem - I noticed my night vision while driving was getting poorer, to the point of almost not being able to read street signs if there was a lot of glare or reflection. I had my eyes checked and the prescription had changed - from a -1.25 in both eyes to a -1 L and -.85 R, had new glasses made up and presto no more problem - could also have to do with the anti-glare /-reflection coating on the lenses, on my old glasses the coating had wavy distortions on them.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Those bluish LED headlights are the worst, aren't they, whether they're behind you or in front of you. I had to quit driving at night, but I'm in my 70's. Don't know if macular degeneration causes this, also have a lot of other eye problems. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

anwaname HB User

Thank you for the suggestions. I have an appointment for mid July, so hopefully some definite solutions then.

@whynotme - Thanks! The prescription I'm using is new(ish), but I did buy from a different company this time. I haven't noticed any wavy lines, but I haven't been looking either. I'll have to check when I have some decent sunlight.

@Eagle - Those things are the bane of my existence, especially on the more rural streets around here. Thankfully, in the myriad of random additions to my vision problems, macular degeneration has not been on the radar for me, and I'll keep praying that it stays that way.

Closed Thread