It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

pixpuf HB User
Red face Not having macular surgery

I just had YAG, laser surgery, to remove the post cateract film from both of my eyes and it greatly improved my vision. This is the first time I've been able to read in 7 months. I also have a macular hole in my left eye which they want me to have a vitrectomy on to repair the hole. I'm real happy with the out come of the laser surgery and I'm not sure now if I want to have the macular hole surgery. Does any one have any idea if the hole will get worse or larger if I don't have the surgery done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

luciann HB User
Re: Not having macular surgery

hi there, i have had two vitrectomys to my left eye. The first one was done by a surgeon i believed in and the was extremely disappointed. I got a second opinion and had a second surgery. The whole has dramatically gotten smaller. The first surgeon told me not bother trying another surgery because it would not work (less then %5 chance that it would get any better). I had a gas bubble injected into my retina to adhere to the walls of the retina and pull it closed. I had to position myself face down (using a massage chair) for two hours down and one hour up all day. Night time it would be a bonus to lay face down but was not required. My surgeon feels that the hole could get a little better with another surgery, this time using silicon oil that will stay in my eye for 3 months or more and then it will have to be removed. Oil does not evaporate like the gas bubble does. With the oil there is no positioning needed which is a huge plus. let me know if i can be of any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
(female)

clandy HB User
Re: Not having macular surgery

I had a macular hole in my right eye the first time at Discover Vision Center in Kansas City and the recovery was awful facedown for two weeks and it did not work the hole did not close. It was awful especially because the doc blamed me said he did not know if I was positioning correctly and for the right amount of time. I had it redone in May 2012 in Columbia Missouri and was much better it did close but I will have to have cataract surgery on this eye because I had the long acting gas bubble only facedown for one week and very little pain choose your doctor carefully and get a second opinion. Also if you choose to not have it done know that your eye will probably get worse and your sight will also get worse. Hope this helps

Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Question More Details? Re: Not having macular surgery

Thanks to the three of you, and would you mind telling us how the macular hole was discovered/diagnosed, and if the oil obstructed vision, or leaked out, felt like water-logged, or anything like that?

I too had Yag treatment after cataract surgery, and it helped a lot. Had previously had a lot of laser treatments for Diabetic Retinopathy, causing the need for cataract surgery in both eyes, and now have Macular damage in worst eye, from Retinopathy, and probably the laser scars, (also probably some age-related Macular Degeneration, sometimes can see TV pretty well, to my surprise, tho' weak, and sometimes distortion, don't know if there are any holes, and most opthalmologists want to give up on that eye, but one says there's things they can inject. (I've read something pretty bad about Avastin, can't remember exactly what, would have to look it up again.) I'm now 76, Diabetic since 1980's, and Low Thyroid, should not have had injections of Kenalog, "Metabolic Drainage Problem", last one reducing vision from 20/40 to 20/50, don't know if damage is permanent, a year ago. Still had some in other eye from 7 yrs ago, finally took a few bitten-off extra chips of my levothyroxine 300, and think the debris from the 7 yrs eye is finally gone, the one w/ the macula damage. Thanks in advance for a little more information if you don't mind.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Question More Details? Re: Not having macular surgery

The above message posted twice.

Last edited by Eagle; 08-04-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Posted twice.

Closed Thread