It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
(male)

eahs118 HB User
Post Vitrectomy complications

Hi. I am 67 years and had scleral buckling on 9m Apr 2012 and vitrectomy on 28 May 2012 with gas bubble which has since been uplifted. I am now experiencing distortion vision on the right operated eye although I am able to see quite well with 6/12 (pinhole test) vision. My question is when will the distortion vision be corrected and when will my vision be 6/6 on the operated eye. Thank you.
Eddie

Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

tubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB User
Re: Post Vitrectomy complications for Retina Detachment

eah118
I had Vitrectomy for scar tissue on my macula, but no buckle or gas or anything special. I had distortion before surgery and after, due to the retina's mountainous configuration from being tugged at by the scar tissue.

I had two doctors give me two good "visuals" to help understand why my retina will not lay flat (hence get rid of all the distortion) ...one doc equated it to a tight bedsheet getting pulled up and stretched in the middle--when you release it it lays back down but not perfectly flat and not exactly in the same spot.
Second "visual" was a 8x10 photo being crumbled and then attempting to flatten in out perfectly again ...never lays completely flat ever again.

Hence, the retina layers with the photoreceptors, etc. never lays exactly in the same position again so the distortion may improve with time but never go away completely...unless you are lucky.
Everyone's experience is different due to the retina conditions pre-surgery and post-surgery varying so much.

My advice is to ask your Doctor to show you the results of the OCT tests he should be doing to keep track of your retina progress. Either on his computer screen or he can run you a hard copy to review and keep in your files. That is what I do...I ask for all "chart notes" and test results from each and every appointment to be mailed to me. They have to do that for you, just sign a release form...and shouldn't be a charge but ask them.

The OCT will show you if your retina has layed down again in it's regular position with the fovea contour and the layers looking healthy. Doctors only tend to tell you what you ask for because they can keep the appointments short that way. I am the kind that likes to understand what is going on---gives me piece of mind whether it is good OR bad news.

Anyways, sorry to ramble on here but I believe in becoming pro-active and understanding as much as I can about my condition. I am 13 months post Vitrectomy ERM peel surgery and some distortion/scotoma (blank spot) is still in my vision in that eye and at this point I am guessing it will stabilize at this point. I did regain a great deal of vision as I became 20/200 just before ERM surgery, and now am about 20/40--but with that blank spot spoiling clear vision. Also had cataract surgery 3 months ago as the cataract formed post vitrectomy (as expected).

Good luck, hope this helped a little. Hang in there and stay optimistic. Eat healthy, exercise, take Flaxoil and fishoil everyday for dry eye, eat kale, wear good sunglasses, etc. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

Laura1000 HB UserLaura1000 HB UserLaura1000 HB User
Re: Post Vitrectomy complications for Retina Detachment

Brilliant advice from tubint!
Sometimes I get caught up in worry about my eyes but you are so right, be pro-active, learn about your condition, understand whatís happening then try to stay positive, stay healthy and hang in there. I do the same as you tubint, my consultant always talks me through every OCT scan.

Thank you tubint, I needed to read this today, I am also 13 months post vitrectomy and preparing for silicone oil removal later this year hopefully.

Good luck to all on this thread. It can be scary but at least we are not alone.

Eddie, 6/12 with pinhole is very positive, with the correct lens and a skilled optician producing lenses for you, you should see an improvement. It may not quite ever be 6/6 but 6/12 is great progress and it should be much better when the distortion is corrected with a lens in your glasses.

Jahwhi, I hope things have improved for you.
Best wishes,
Laura

The Following User Says Thank You to Laura1000 For This Useful Post:
eahs118 (06-18-2012)
Closed Thread