It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
(male)

HighlandJ HB User
Bacterial Infection, recovering from corneal ulcer

Hi forum,

Early this year over new year I was submitted to hospital for emergency treatment on a corneal ulcer and was kept in hospital for three days and given intensive treatment of ofloxacin eye drops every hour, then released from hospital and continued to be on ofloxacin eye drops every 2 hours and steroid drops every 2 hours with frequent visits to the hospitals eye clinic to monitor my progress.

Eventfully I was omitted, all eye drops were stopped (around 2 months ago) and in the past few weeks my vision in my left eye came back and I could see perfectly so the scar had cleared.

However I now seem to be stuck with constant bacteria in my left eye, first it was conjunctivitis and the doctor prescribed me with chloramphenicol which cleared the problem up, however last week I started to get similar symptoms so I bought chloramphenicol over the counter, started to use it again but since became aware of possible serious side effects so I stopped all use and won't be using chloramphenicol again.

I have two un-open tubs of ofloxacin, left over from previous and was wondering if that is safe to use in my left eye? as I was on this constantly for 3 months and never provided me with any side effects and would feel happy using it to clear up any bacterial infection.

Just to describe my current issue, when I wake up in the morning, the vision in my left eye seems to be disturbed by "gunk" and as the day goes on it slowly comes back and by evening it has cleared up, its like groundhog day.

I can't get an appointment with my GP until a weeks time so there is anything I can do that is safe and could help clean the eye.

Many thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Bacterial Infection, recovering from corneal ulcer

Gunk doesn't necessarily mean infection, it could just mean irritation. (I find doctors like to throw antibiotics at anything that even might be an infection. Sometimes they're right, sometimes it doesn't help.) Even allergies can cause eye gunk.

Probably the safest way to clean your eyes is with plain unmedicated saline eye drops. Try that until you can get to the doctor.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
(male)

HighlandJ HB User
Re: Bacterial Infection, recovering from corneal ulcer

Thanks for the reply Jane.

I think I made a mistake by buying chloramphenicol over the counter but i only used it twice yet because i've been on so many eye drops since January and had a serious condition as a corneal ulcer ive become accustomed to using eye drops to treat the eye.

Eye seems better today but ill take your advice and clean with non medicated solution and see what the doctor says next week.

Closed Thread