It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
(female)

strongasanox HB User
Question aspergers? environment_spoilt? or...? help!

I have a step daughter. 8 year old girl. I have a few concerns and I'm unsure how to address my questions and thoughts. I'm engaged to the girls dad and we both try to influence healthy eating habits and behaviors. My fionce believes his daughter's behaviour and bad diet stems from his x= the mother of child. However I believe she could have asbergers. I love her incredibly.... But I'm wondering is it important to get diagnosis? I will just write what I know or my step daughter has said and if any1 has ideas please don't hesitate! I just want to try and help her especially with what she eats. Here goes..... 8 yr old girl only really eats carbs,calcium and protein. -choc milk, peanut butter ,jam, bread, meat pies, condiments, straws, easy Mac + tuna, loves most chocolate things, pizza- just tom paste with ham and cheese, pancakes, popcorn, spag- meat balls with simple sauce and pasta, sausages, chops, bacon, chicken nuggets, strass and sauce sandwiches, hot dogs, junk food- chips/lollies/ ice cream/biscuits. + 2 min chicken noodles. mashed potatoe with gravy only from KFC. Pringles, ham, scones basically that's everything. However she loves lemon on her pancakes. ... Peas she manages a few with a gulp of water after each one.carrot- she will eat a little. And she ate fish (only whiting ) a year ago, but now only wants fresh whiting, not frozen. Apple is only the green ones and you peel it of like a snake/coil then cling wrap back on for lunck box. She loves apple juice and ribena. And drinks lots of water...... Behavior- loves parks slides, swings, sea saws, whizzy dizz. Anything that goes fast she gets overly excited to go on + if someone else is on what she wants she gets very irritated. Straight after rides says she's bored. Only enjoys the show rides or parks while on the ride.. not after. Refuses to wear jeans, feel itchy, give her wedges, all clothes must be soft, hates socks_ to the point its always an argument- they are uncomfortable, she can feel the stitching. Knickers need to be cotton+ elastine or they annoy. She smells clothes in the shop and feels them. When we go any where she prefers taking soft toys with her. Shoe laces are the worst thing in the world! - we always end up doing them for her or she slams doors, pulls at her hair, pulls an angry face and even says things like; I just want to die! It's so hard! Or I hate u! After she's angry she always apologizes and cuddles us. + says she didn't mean it.... She loves cuddles to the point that probably every hour she asks for a cuddle, a family cuddle or a tight squishy cuddle. .. she makes friends easily but soon cracks it with them if she can't control them in the game.- she has one good friend at school. She day dreams a lot. If she's really excited to go somewhere she doesn't always feel extreme heat like hot sand on a beach doesn't feel hot as she's just thinking about going in the water. Or a burning slide that other kids can't go on she doesn't even notice. But in the car on long trips she feels hot then cold and just can't get happy and the sun hurts her eyes though dark tinted windows. At times her behaviour is spuratic. And hates it when her step brother gets the attention. However they do get along most of the time. She hates using cutlery, nibbles her food and smells introduced foods. I love my step daughter immensely, however I do have concerns for her development. With her eating habits. ... We tried talking to her mum about her eating but she sees it as a stage and isn't concerned. As she supplements with a vitamin tablet and sustagen! We continue to try. What can we do when her mum sees no problems?

Last edited by strongasanox; 07-21-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: aspergers? environment_spoilt? or....? help!

She sounds like a bit of a drama queen, but i have seen many little girls just the same or even more extreme. I have three granddaughters and each has displayed at least one or two of these behaviours. Don't even get me started on my daughter...she is a wonderful person, but wilful as a child. Her diet, while not the best is no worse than any fussy eater. I suggest you just present her with good food and let her eat it or not. My granddaughters will only eat apple if it is cut up and cored but they will eat a lot of it. She does eat a lt of stuff actually - i know kids whose range of foods is much less than hers. She is affectionate, and sounds like quite a happy kid on the whole. Don't sweat the small stuff, and choose your battles. Food is really not worth fighting over, they all have fads and fancies, just keep offering good food and don't keep the junk things in the house. Sera

The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph For This Useful Post:
strongasanox (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
(female)

strongasanox HB User
Re: aspergers? environment_spoilt? or....? help!

Thanks, its hard as we have her every 2nd w.end. and weve tried to just have healthy foods in the past. But then its like she would rather go to bed hungry. + we think it would be like torture to her to be offered these healthy foods as she eats basically eats carb, protein at her mums. Thank u for you're post. We don't push foods. We always sit at the table and have variety of meals. Well its a challenge, frustrating, not only to watch and encourage her to try. But its also hard when my 5yr old eats everything.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

strongasanox HB User
Re: aspergers? environment_spoilt? or...? help!

Do you think its good to get a diagnosis? Or..... Leave. As the mum doesn't acknowledge that there's any problem?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: aspergers? environment_spoilt? or...? help!

Her father could run it by her school and ask for an assessment, but i cannot see how you could arrange for any intervention or treatment without her mother's consent. I am a bit inclined to leave it. It sounds like any child who wants attention and acts out. She may not behave like this with her mother. Unless there are problems you have not described, she is no more extreme than a lot of girls her age. Sera

Closed Thread