It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
(male)

Selver HB User
Blind spots, possible increased astigmatism after migraine.

Im hoping Im posting this in the right place, as the main problem is my deteriorated vision, not that Im having migraines.

Ive been getting migraines for several years now, they'll either start with large blind spots, or splitting head and eye pain, shortly followed by the other. I'll take some Ibuprofen, grab a nap, and will wake up with tired eyes and no pain, and after a full nights sleep, every thing is back to normal. To be more specific, when I say blind spots, there's no black dots, zig zags, or what Ive mostly read other people describe it as, it's just as if someone took a handful of pieces out of the puzzle that is my field of vision. Items just seem to cease to exist within these blind spots.

About a week and a half ago, maybe two weeks, I received another migraine. Same ordeal as usual, same self treatment. After a full night's sleep, though, I noticed I was having a hard time focusing on things, and that I still had blind spots (not quite as intense as during a migraine, but still very noticeable) and my eyes were still somewhat sore. These blind spots so far have not interfered with my daily life, as I can still drive and operate normally, but if I try to do something like check myself in the mirror, if I look at my eyes, its as if the rest of my body doesnt even exist. I can still see the general pink shape of my body, but there's no details, no shadows, no freckles, nothing. Just one solid pinkish mass.

I should mention several things:
-I do wear glasses, but those are not helping the situation.
-My left eye is dominant, but the problem exists in both eyes, not quite as much in the left though.
-Around the age of two, I had a pyrogenic granuloma removed from my eyes, but that has not caused any problems since, and I am 18.
-I have an astigmatism in both eyes, and double vision in my right eye.
-I spend a good amount of time on the computer, but taking an extended break has provided no relief.
-I get plenty of sleep a night, somewhere between 8 and 11 hours.
-I dont eat as much as I probably should
-While my not-so-great vision has always made me seem to have less energy than I used to, Ive found that now Im constantly fatigued, no matter how much I eat, sleep, or exercise.

This ordeal is really demoralizing, as it makes me fear going blind, and Im currently trying to pursue a career in the military. Ive made several panic trips to the optometrist in the past, especially when I began to notice my double vision, and he being the sweetheart he is, usually waives my checkup expenses if it turns out to be nothing to worry about. If anyone has any ideas on what's going on and how to treat it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Selver; 07-28-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
(male)

Selver HB User
Re: Blind spots, possible increased astigmatism after migraine.

Im not sure if it has to do with anything, but I like my glasses to be clear and smudge/particle free, but Im having to wipe what I assume is sleep from my glasses two or three times a day. This is also not a dusty house.
Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Temporary vision problems during or after a migraine are fairly common. But if it's lasting and causing problems, I'd see a neurologist.

Your blind spots: Might you be talking about a loss of peripheral vision?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
(male)

Selver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Temporary vision problems during or after a migraine are fairly common. But if it's lasting and causing problems, I'd see a neurologist.

Your blind spots: Might you be talking about a loss of peripheral vision?
That may be a better term, except that I tested my peripherals on my own with a pen, and still seemed to have decent peripherals.

Maybe a better term to stick with would be increased astigmatism. The amount Im able to focus on has diminished from what it used to be. Compared to how I used to be able to take in my whole face in the mirror, now I can only focus on small bits at a time. Even when I can manage to "view" my whole face, there are parts that I cant focus on, like my cheekbones and forehead, which is why I originally called it blind spots. I hope Im making sense.

Last edited by Selver; 07-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Closed Thread