It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

dfsa HB User
Are these floaters

This is not bothering me in any way, I'm just curious and couldn't find much on Google.

I know what floaters are. I've seen floaters in the edge of my vision that drift to the edges when you try to focus on them. They are usually larger relative to thing I am seeing and move slower. What I am seeing I am sure are not floaters or at least another form of it.

Basically if I look out of the window then I see hundreds and hundreds of tiny translucent things swimming and wriggling around incredibly fast (much faster than the drift of a floater) in quite small erratic motions. They totally cover my vision. They aren't just at the edges, they are everywhere. It looks like hundreds of little sparks or worms darting around. I don't necessarily have to be looking at the sky. I can see them all the time if it's just bright enough.

I'm short-sighted and if I take my glasses off then I can focus on them so that it seems like they are just in front of me (and they are even smaller like pin***** size) moving in three dimensions and they seem to glow. It's like hundreds of bright specks quickly moving around backwards and forwards and in circles.

I couldn't find much about them. I don't think they are the same thing as floaters. I saw it mentioned a few times that it is white blood cells. If that is true then it's amazing -- how could I see those without magnification?

My eyes are healthy as far as I know. I had a routine check recently. I think these are something everyone has because I can remember seeing them as a child when looking at a blue sky and I believe children don't get floaters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
(male)

loneman HB User
Re: Are these floaters

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. And I don't think they're floaters (I have those too). The only thing I was able to find was the white blood cells ( Blue Field Entopic Phenomenon) that you mentioned. I also see them on other bright surfaces, not necessarily blue. I also do not think it's visual snow, since I'm not seeing them in dark or even if I wear sun glasses. I check my eyes regularly and my eyes are otherwise healthy (do have slight astigmatism). They say seeing this is completely normal but what concerns me is that I've only recently started seeing them (several months), which is unlike other people who say they've been seeing them all their lives. I do think this is definitely something related to the blood moving since if I look at the bright sky and feel my pulse at the same time the white things move at the same rate as my pulse. So I'm just working on ignoring them, nothing else seems to help.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
(male)

calvin1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneman View Post
...They say seeing this is completely normal...
Normal? What is "normal." There is "normal" as in "typical." And there is "normal" as in "healthy." The Audiologist said my hearing is normal. I said "Do you mean normal for someone my age or do you mean average for the whole population or what exactly do you mean?" When I asked my optometrist about floaters, he said everybody gets them and you'll get used to them. I trusted him and hence unnecessarily and unwisely delayed going to an ophthalmologist for several years . Don't make that mistake. Floaters are not normal in any sense of the word. jmo

Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User

I have both floaters and those dancing little bright wormy creatures in my vision. Yes they are also visible in very bight light / surfaces and they move real fast. Had these for quite a long time now and also floaters. If there is a way to get rid of floaters, let me know too.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
(male)

loneman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin1 View Post
Normal? What is "normal." There is "normal" as in "typical." And there is "normal" as in "healthy." The Audiologist said my hearing is normal. I said "Do you mean normal for someone my age or do you mean average for the whole population or what exactly do you mean?" When I asked my optometrist about floaters, he said everybody gets them and you'll get used to them. I trusted him and hence unnecessarily and unwisely delayed going to an ophthalmologist for several years . Don't make that mistake. Floaters are not normal in any sense of the word. jmo
When I said "normal" I was referring to 'Blue Field Entopic Phenomenon', not floaters. And if you do some research on that you'll find that seeing it is "normal", in whatever way you want to interpret it. Some people see it, some people don't, just like some people have moles, others don't, some men have hair on their chest, others don't, etc. When you say you "unnecessarily and unwisely delayed going to an ophthalmologist" I'm assuming you're talking about floaters - what did he or she tell you? That you waited for too long and if you'd come earlier then they would've helped you get rid of them and now they can't?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
(female)

Curious12rP HB User

Hi,
I too have floaters and can see the squiggly colored phenomenon on white surfaces or better on windows to. When I see my floaters I relate to them as cells, cause that is excatly what mine look like. My floaters get in the way when I read, stare at a person, computer, anything. Especially when I am super tired the floaters are worst. I also see halo looking images when I close my eyes and have seen double vision especially when someone is standing directly in the sun light. I can not focus on someone when there is light by them like a porch light. I also have been told floaters are normal, but how can this be normal when the floaters get in the way of my vision? I get a lot of headaches and wearing sun glasses a lot seems to help eliminate the visual disturbances. Any ideas?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
(male)

calvin1 HB User

Ok, I can see (no pun intended) that I have not been adamant enough. Anyone (ANYONE) who has floaters (not to mention all the other symptoms Curious12P has) Really needs to see an ophthalmologist asap. Why? Not because of the floaters which are annoying, inconvenient, and relatively harmless, but because they are symptomatic of serious retinal problems which need to be addressed. Floaters are pieces of tissue or blood suspended in the vitreous humor (it's like a clear gel} that fills the eye. A vitrectomy is surgical removal (of all or part of that gel) during which it is disintegrated and vacuumed out and replaced with various fluids depending on your condition. Of course the floaters are sucked out too. I hope you all will google or wiki these terms and read up on it. Don't wait. I also hope you can afford medical attention and wish you the best of outcomes. Those of us who are sighted are extremely fortunate. My personal condition involves removal (or peel) of epiretinal membranes from the retinal of both eyes...you can google that too along with macular pucker...but there are several more serious eye conditions than mine for which floaters are the early warning signs. Now get busy!

Last edited by calvin1; 10-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to calvin1 For This Useful Post:
Curious12rP (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
(female)

Curious12rP HB User

Quote:
Ok, I can see (no pun intended) that I have not been adamant enough. Anyone (ANYONE) who has floaters (not to mention all the other symptoms Curious12P has) Really needs to see an ophthalmologist asap. Why? Not because of the floaters which are annoying, inconvenient, and relatively harmless, but because they are symptomatic of serious retinal problems which need to be addressed. Floaters are pieces of tissue or blood suspended in the vitreous humor (it's like a clear gel} that fills the eye. A vitrectomy is surgical removal (of all or part of that gel) during which it is disintegrated and vacuumed out and replaced with various fluids depending on your condition. Of course the floaters are sucked out too. I hope you all will google or wiki these terms and read up on it. Don't wait. I also hope you can afford medical attention and wish you the best of outcomes. Those of us who are sighted are extremely fortunate. My personal condition involves removal (or peel) of epiretinal membranes from the retinal of both eyes...you can google that too along with macular pucker...but there are several more serious eye conditions than mine for which floaters are the early warning signs. Now get busy!
I live in Southern Cali and I have IEHP. I have been sick for over 2 years now with other ailments and can not work. Being that I'm 37 and have this type of medical insurance, the governement thought it would be smart to take away eye and dental insurance for us. So, I'm not sure what and where I can go being that my health insurance only covers my general health. Any suggestions?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
(male)

calvin1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious12rP View Post
...the governement thought it would be smart to take away eye and dental insurance for us. So, I'm not sure what and where I can go being that my health insurance only covers my general health...
I just thought of this. It's possible that you will find that you are confusing so-called Vision coverage (which refers merely to eye glasses frames and lens prescriptions) with serious medical problems of the eye (ophthalmology). Check with your PCP for a referral to an ophthalmologist. I hope I am right.

The Following User Says Thank You to calvin1 For This Useful Post:
Curious12rP (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
(female)

Curious12rP HB User

Quote:
I just thought of this. It's possible that you will find that you are confusing so-called Vision coverage (which refers merely to eye glasses frames and lens prescriptions) with serious medical problems of the eye (ophthalmology). Check with your PCP for a referral to an ophthalmologist. I hope I am right.
I hope your right as well. I will see what happens. I see my PCP on the 14th and I know I have requested to have my eyes looked at before and was denied. I'm not sure if they put the referral in for a optometrist or an opthalmologist. Will let you know. Thx for your input though, it's much appreciated.

Reply Reply