It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
(female)

Juby HB User
Question EyePromise Restore

Has anyone tried EyePromise Restore for macular degeneration? The AREDS vitamin study is over twenty years old and I am trying to check into some newer possible help for this condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User
Re: EyePromise Restore

What is "EyePromise Restore" and the AREDS study?
What did they claim, or claim to find out that is reliable?
Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

Juby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak View Post
What is "EyePromise Restore" and the AREDS study?
What did they claim, or claim to find out that is reliable?
Cheers.
The AREDS study was done on a strong vitamin formula for macular degeneration. It only has a 25% rate of slowing down progression of the disease.
The EyePromise is a newer formula that contains zeanxanthin and Lutein. I am trying the EyePromise but was hoping to find some reviews on it.
I can't take the AREDS formulas as they make me very sick so I'm looking around for other help. I'm also trying Saffron and Curcumin taken with milk. A study is being done in Italy on Saffron and sounds promising. Curcumin is all around healthy for a lot of things, including cataracts and eye problems.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

The only study I know of that stood up to scientific scrutiny was an Italian one some years back. It was a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, cross-over study using a purified and concentrated form of ginkgo biloba. They used patients with diagnosed macular degeneration and optical testing and showed that vision was significantly improved. The work resulted in a number of patents on the treatment. Of course ginkgo is often associated with claims of improving peripheral blood vessel circulation. I tried without luck to get the type of ginkgo they used. Since nothing seemed to appear following this I can only assume that other researchers had trouble confirming the earlier findings. If anyone is interested I can try to find the exact reference.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beefsteak For This Useful Post:
Juby (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

Juby HB User

I would be interested in your research on ginkgo biloba. I have read some about it but I'm still a little confused about it. I didn't know there were different kinds. It is mentioned on several sites as being good for macular degeneration so I will do some more research also. There is a clinical trial going on in Italy on Saffron now. Just type in 'Saffron for macular degeneration' in your search engine to find it.
Thank you for the reply.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Hi, This is a trodden path but here goes...
Research came out in 2003 in a well-known Journal by: Quaranta L., Bettelli S., Uva M. G., Semeraro F., Turano R. and Gandolfo E. (2003): Effect of Ginkgo biloba extract on preexisting visual field damage in normal tension glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 110(2): 359-62; discussion 362-4.

This was, apparently, a proper scientific study showing that ginkgo b. improved glaucoma symptoms. Normally a double-blind, crossover type of study is pretty much *proof* of an effect except where *concerns* exist. Concerns might be - falsified results, special (hidden) ingredients in medications, or something else quite unexpected. In this case it all looked good. I don't know anything about the reputation of the researchers, but the only other thing was the low number of subjects in the tests. I think it was 27 ppl - now if it had 100 or 1000, that would add a lot more weight. So there's a chance the result just turned out this way. (Throw up a coin and it lands on its edge.) Of course proper research (like this work) uses statistics to rule this out so the probability might have been 1 in 1000 that it was simply a fluke result.
They did use a purified form of ginkgo b. and I found that was not easily obtained. And they used pretty decent doses.
Okay, that was 2003, and in 2005 a patent appeared for the US (also, I think world-wide). It was by Prof Robert Ritch, perhaps the most eminent ophthalmologist in the US. Patent US 2005/0163873 A1. See this guy's C.V.! He was patenting this very same treatment. So you have to ask why, after publication of pretty clear-cut benefits from ginkgo b. is such a prominent scientist patenting the treatment? He must have thought it was something that worked. Now usually Professors have teams of students just waiting for ideas to work on so possibly (probably) he did his own follow-up work. He must have. Anyway I have never tried to contact him to find out what research they did or what results they got. Nothing I know of has been published and Prof Ritch has published 100's of research papers.
I have tried to contact the original researcher (Quaranta L.) but my emails were never answered. Usually for such work there would be other unpublished "backup" work, field trials, etc. But I found nothing.
It would be useful to get a response from Prof Ritch on this - he would know I'm sure. Whether he would reply to your email is anyone's guess. Might be worth trying his university department and try to chat with one of his student researchers - a door in that way would be my approach.
You'll find abstracts of the paper around but I don't think I ever found a PDF.
I have a copy of the entire paper here but could not find it yesterday. I think I might have got a print-off from the Journal in the Univ. library. Anyway if you still want to read the full text just email me and I'll have another look.
My experience. Well, I tried two forms of ginko b. - Swansons and Dr's Best extra strength. I can't test for say a 10 or 20% improvement so it's had to tell but nothing dramatic occurred that I could detect. However, ginkgo tended to give me a headache so in the end I cut it out.
Other work- well see this review article, "Ginkgo - Herb Monograph for Health Professionals" also discusses a benefit in here:
Evans J.R. (2004): Ginkgo biloba extract for age-related macular degeneration (Cochrane Review): The Cochrane
Library. Chichester, U.K., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., pp 10.
Hope this helps, and if you find out anything please post it back here - even if Prof Ritch says it "never worked".
Cheers for now.

Last edited by Beefsteak; 08-27-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
(female)

tubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB User

Just want to thank you for this thoughtful contribution.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
(female)

Juby HB User

Thanks for doing the research. I have been trying to do more too but it seems that for anything to be approved here in the US they have to do tests and clinical trials which take years, and cost way too much money. Since it is an over the counter supplement no one is interested in testing it because they wouldn't get any return on their investment. To claim medical benefits with a product is against the law without the required trials. This is probably why you don't get any replies to your emails.
I usually just go ahead and try things that sound like they might help, but like you, I wasn't able to take it. Maybe if we could buy the special kind it would be different but I can't find it.
If you find any more information on it or where to buy that particular kind, please post.

Closed Thread