It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
(male)

webbinho HB User
Ongoing Vision Problems

Hi All

I'm new to this forum, but after several months or ongoing eye problems, I've decided to join, in the hope someone out there shares my symptoms.

My main symptoms are afterimages and shimmering of objects and floaters. I have had this shimmering for about 6 months, but I think it has slowly become worse. The afterimages are with me all of the time. They are particulary bad in a office environment or in a supermarket, where there are lots of artificial light sources. Looking at my monitor I see ghosting of text. White text on black is very bad, but even standard black on white appears to ghost, almost likethe text hjas been highlighted. I do get them outside too, for example when driving, I sometimes get a afterimage of the car in fronts reg plate, or the back of the car appears to shimmer. This happens more if the car has distinct lines.

The floaters are mainly in my right eye. I have several worm like floaters and 3 or 4 that appear more as black dots. The wprms appear different on almosta daily basis, so I'm concerned what this could be. I have had this for several months and my optician says my eyes are fine, so no retinal detachment. I am currently waiting to see an eye specialst at the hospital, but my appointment is another 6 weeks away. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to paint an accurate a picture as I can.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
(male)

maximo123 HB User
Re: Ongoing Vision Problems

From what you are describing, it sounds something very similar to what I have been experiencing for the last year or so.

I am a 39 year old male who has problems with what seems to be supermarket shelves with rows of stuff on them, oriental rugs, white computer text on a black backgrounds, high contrast shop signs. Its like it shimmers or flickers. I dont know if it is the high contrast, or complex patterns that cause it

I have visited with several Opthalmologists, Optomoterists and a Neurologist. All tests have come back normal.

Eye sight is good, normal OCT, pressures, field vision, retina good, optic nerves healthy. I had an EEG and MRI with contrast. Both normal.

If I close either eye it completely goes away and if i wear sunglasses in the supermarket it becomes less noticeable.

It feels like either contrast or horizontal lines are causing this. I can look at the exact same pattern from another angle and it seems to ease it. I don't know if this is the same for you.

The Doctors seems to be at a loss but Optomoterists seem to think that it is binocular in nature but offer no solutions! It is frustrating to say the least and am hoping for it just to go away which is what the neurologist seems to think will happen.

I also have floaters too and occasionally suffer from flashes.

Rest assured, I don't think that anything you are experiencing is serious but more irritating than anything else and when all the doctors seem clueless it just furthers the curiosity.

The Following User Says Thank You to maximo123 For This Useful Post:
len1416 (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply