It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

rwbil HB User
Question Cost of Restasis .vs Generic Cyclosporine

My health insurance does not cover the cost of drugs, so I am looking to order restasis from a register Canadian Pharmacy. They sell the equivalent Generic Cyclosporine. But here is where I am confused.

The pharmacy states that 30 vials of Restasis provides 60 drops and and that the 3ml bottle of Cyclosporine provides 75 drops.

But that math does not work out as far as I can tell.

When I research I see each vial of Restasis contains .4ml, which means 30 vials contains 12ml or 4 times more drops than the generic Cyclosporine.

This actual makes the generic more expensive.

I understand it is important to refrigerate the open vials and keep clean. But isn't the same true for using the genertic.

Am I missing something????

Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Cost of Restasis .vs Generic Cyclosporine

It is my understanding that opthalmic Restasis generic version is not yet available and won't be until 2014. I don't refrigerate mine btw.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
(male)

rwbil HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca689 View Post
It is my understanding that opthalmic Restasis generic version is not yet available and won't be until 2014. I don't refrigerate mine btw.
Available when you buy outside US. In US we have crony capitalism that gives the Drug companies ridiculously long dated patents so they do not have to compete. I love Republicans who give lip service to free enterprise except in the case of there favorite lobbist.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Cyclosporine ophthalmic can be compounded perhaps, but I see it for veterinary use only, or from an ****** mfg direct. Make sure that if and when you order it, that your compounding pharmacy knows that is for human ophthalmic use and doesn't just send cyclosporine in liquid form. Two entirely different things. You might be able to get coupons for Restasis so that you can try it to see if it works for you, if you have not yet tried it. It doesn't work for everyone and all dry eye conditions. As far as patents go, drug companies need an incentive to develop and manufacture these drugs, regardless of the country or political persuasions thereof. It may well be that the prices are too high on the surface but since I do not know how much it cost to develop, I can't really say more about the expense. In any event, please check on the preservatives in your eye drops as well. They can make or break a patient's tolerance to any eye solutions. As far as the actual amount in each individual vial of Restasis, there are two drops worth in each vial, with some left over. In practical use, most of the time I still have some left over but I do occasionally miss, and so don't have any left over, if that helps.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
(male)

rwbil HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca689 View Post
Cyclosporine ophthalmic can be compounded perhaps, but I see it for veterinary use only, or from an ****** mfg direct. Make sure that if and when you order it, that your compounding pharmacy knows that is for human ophthalmic use and doesn't just send cyclosporine in liquid form. Two entirely different things. You might be able to get coupons for Restasis so that you can try it to see if it works for you, if you have not yet tried it. It doesn't work for everyone and all dry eye conditions. As far as patents go, drug companies need an incentive to develop and manufacture these drugs, regardless of the country or political persuasions thereof. It may well be that the prices are too high on the surface but since I do not know how much it cost to develop, I can't really say more about the expense. In any event, please check on the preservatives in your eye drops as well. They can make or break a patient's tolerance to any eye solutions. As far as the actual amount in each individual vial of Restasis, there are two drops worth in each vial, with some left over. In practical use, most of the time I still have some left over but I do occasionally miss, and so don't have any left over, if that helps.
I think they are only allowed to sell the Generic for pets in US, because of the patent issues and agreements with the drug companies. And the pet version might be different. Just out of curiosity do you know what the difference between the pet and human version is?

When you look at it on a per drop basis the Generic would be a better deal, but when I look at it from a point of the ml of liquid being provided the Brand is a better deal.

According to the pharamacy Restaisis provides 2 drops per 0.4ml vial and the Generic provides 75 drops per 3ml bottle. But that does not seem correct to me. If a 3ml bottle get 75 drops then a 0.4ml vial should get 10 drops per vial. A 3ml bottle provides 7.5 times more fluid than a 0.4ml vial, therefore a vial should provide 10 drops.

Is my Math wrong?

I realize as you pointed out in reality you miss your eyes and etc. and never get the actualy amont. But that would apply to vial or bottle use. I wanted to know if other Restasis users get closer to the 2 drops per vial or the 10 drops per vial.

I have to comment on the political part. Skip this paragraph if not politica. I am very aware of the drug companies need for long dated patent argument. All monopolies will make Great argument for why they need their monopoly. First, I am a liberterian, not a Republican or Democrat, because both parties support crony capatilism. I actually believe in free markets and competition. I do not belive in Nixon style price controls. But in health care including drugs there is no True Free Market. Both the supply side and demand side of the equation is skewed. Unfortuneately that discussion would be a thread into it self, so I will not go on.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

there are no more than 4 maybe 5 drops in a vial of Restasis. I counted when I just put the drops in a little while ago . No way is there 10.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
(female)

jmsrrt HB User

My opthamologist says to put the cap back on it after you put in the one drop per eye. Use the left over for the next time. I usually get 2 1/2 doses, sometimes 3. He says its fine to do that no matter what the instructions say. The makers of restasis just want you to use more

Reply Reply