It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

eyesis HB User
Been battling with MGD, pinguecula, blepharitis

I had once beautiful and healthy eyes until a dermatologist prescribed a retinoid cream for under my eyes which caused intense dryness, an allergic reaction, and mild blepharitis.

Things were improving dramatically at one point and I was pleased to just carry on but a herbal healer who I met suggested I use Triphala (a kind of Ayurvedic herb) to wash my eyes saying it would cure the blepharitis completely. I followed this and, sadly, it made things much, much worse. Once very calm pinguecula became inflamed (red broken veins and painful) and I ended up with very, very dry eyes.

I've found a few things that seem to help and I hope that one day I can get my eyes back to where they were, even if just to before the herbal eye wash experiment/disaster.

I used to go through loads of eye drops but I find in general (unless I spend time in AC) that I just need to put a little castor oil onto my upper and lower lids morning and night and things are fine. I use a cotton bud to put the castor oil on like an eyeliner. I have been trying the warm compresses as recommended by the eye doctor but I have a feeling that this aggravates my eyes. I find cold compresses and cool water on my face work best.

Only things is, although castor oil is an oil, I have a feeling that it is drying out the skin under my eyes a little. But then that might have been the warm compresses being too warm - who knows.

I also drop some preservative-free eye drops in my eyes and use the excess as a lubricant to massage my lids 2-3 times a day.

I find that my eyes get worse if my sinuses are blocked or if I feel like I've got a bit of a cold, which is interesting.

The journey has been extremely depressing and life changing for the negative but I guess you live and you learn. My ability to empathise with chronic conditions has certainly improved!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply