It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

margjo HB User
Question Shower of Floaters and abnormal test results

I'm a 60 yr old female. Last week on 4 occasions I hap a period of sudden floaters with some flashes of light. They lasted about 10 minutes. There were so many I had a difficult time seeing. Only in right eye.
After about 4 days a had I had floaters that ended up staying. When I look through my right eye I see what looks like a droplet of water also I have dots and other floaters that move around.
I saw an opthamologist and he ran some tests.
He said he found suspicious findings in both eyes with the reduced color vision in both eyes and a slightly abnormal visual field.
He wants me to have an MRI.
Thoughts?

The following user gives a hug of support to margjo:
solofelix (10-06-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Shower of Floaters and abnormal test results

I am also under my opthamologist with similar to you.
I have sparkling silver lights that practically block out my vision in my left eye, also I get black spots moving around, these episodes can last from 5 to 30 mins at a time. I am also 60 + yrs old.
My opthamologist told me we have a jelly like substance at the back of the eye and as we age it can congeal and cause these symptoms.
I have to go back on Tues for another check up. I have had this for five weeks now, hope it is not a lasting problem.
Let me know how you get on and I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

margjo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
I am also under my opthamologist with similar to you.
I have sparkling silver lights that practically block out my vision in my left eye, also I get black spots moving around, these episodes can last from 5 to 30 mins at a time. I am also 60 + yrs old.
My opthamologist told me we have a jelly like substance at the back of the eye and as we age it can congeal and cause these symptoms.
I have to go back on Tues for another check up. I have had this for five weeks now, hope it is not a lasting problem.
Let me know how you get on and I wish you well,

Solofelix.
I'll have my MRI this Friday. He wanted it sooner but I'm away until Thursday.
Right now I have the floaters non-stop. My eye feels tired as well. Not sure if that's because I'm seeing through the floaters all of my waking hours.
Good luck with your floaters.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi again,
margjo, do you see floaters or lights when you close your eyes before sleep?...
I sometimes do and it is really annoying.
I hope all goes well with your MRI,

Solofelix.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
(female)

margjo HB User

My MRI has been delayed until I have blood work. Wednesday is my new date.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by margjo View Post
My MRI has been delayed until I have blood work. Wednesday is my new date.

"All the best"
Let me know how you get on.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
margjo (10-15-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Simonxx45 HB User

Hello Friends,

Floaters are small pieces of debris that float in the vitreous humor of the eye. They occur behind the lens (a small clear structure that focuses the light entering your eye) and in front of the retina (the light-sensitive tissue that lines the back of the eye). Vitreous humor is a clear, jelly-like substance that fills the space in the middle of the eyeball. It is mostly made up of water (99%). The other 1% is made up of substances that help to maintain the shape of the vitreous. Floaters occur as part of the natural aging process. Some people may have posterior vitreous detachment (PVD), which may cause a sudden increase in the number of floaters they have.
1. Getting older
2. Posterior vitreous detachment (PVD)
If you have had eye surgery, such as a cataract operation, you are more likely to experience floaters, PVD and, more rarely, retinal tears and retinal detachment. In some cases, floaters may also be caused by:
- infection
- inflammation (uveitis)
- eye disease
- eye injury

Thanks And Regards
Simon Joseph

Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonxx45 View Post
Hello Friends,

Floaters are small pieces of debris that float in the vitreous humor of the eye. They occur behind the lens (a small clear structure that focuses the light entering your eye) and in front of the retina (the light-sensitive tissue that lines the back of the eye). Vitreous humor is a clear, jelly-like substance that fills the space in the middle of the eyeball. It is mostly made up of water (99%). The other 1% is made up of substances that help to maintain the shape of the vitreous. Floaters occur as part of the natural aging process. Some people may have posterior vitreous detachment (PVD), which may cause a sudden increase in the number of floaters they have.
1. Getting older
2. Posterior vitreous detachment (PVD)
If you have had eye surgery, such as a cataract operation, you are more likely to experience floaters, PVD and, more rarely, retinal tears and retinal detachment. In some cases, floaters may also be caused by:
- infection

Hi Simon,
I read your message with interest and you gave a good description.
I get sparkling light in my left eye which move around they are mostly silver colour.
My Opthamologist Dr told me that it is an ageing thing caused by the jelly substance in my eye. He has given me no treatment but says he will need to monitor this and I will be seeing him again in a three weeks time.
It can occur frequently or not so frequently and can really affect my vision when bad.
What interested me was your mention of floaters, It sounds like sparkling lights can also be part of the ageing process, by the way I am mid-sixties.

Solofelix.
- inflammation (uveitis)
- eye disease
- eye injury

Thanks And Regards
Simon Joseph

Old 10-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

"Sorry the last part of your letter appeared under my name".
Maybe My fault as I did not see your last part of letter.
Please note!!...

"I do NOT have any eye decease or have had No surgery"...

Solofelix.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
(female)

margjo HB User

Hi Solofelix,
Had my MRI Friday. A little delay because another DR wanted to add something to it. It has been quite a year. I have had to dead faints in the past year with the second requiring knee surgery. Feeling is BP drops too fast. But seeing I was in the MRI my Dr thought they would take a look at some other things.
Good news is my opthamologist called and his part of the MRI didn't show anything bad. He does not know why I have this sudden new and different floater activity or why my color and peripheral vision has changed. I'll see him again next month. I guess perhaps I'm just aging.

Side note, I see you are from one of our favorite places, Ireland!

Thanks for caring.
Margjo

Old 10-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by margjo View Post
Hi Solofelix,
Had my MRI Friday. A little delay because another DR wanted to add something to it. It has been quite a year. I have had to dead faints in the past year with the second requiring knee surgery. Feeling is BP drops too fast. But seeing I was in the MRI my Dr thought they would take a look at some other things.
Good news is my opthamologist called and his part of the MRI didn't show anything bad. He does not know why I have this sudden new and different floater activity or why my color and peripheral vision has changed. I'll see him again next month. I guess perhaps I'm just aging.

Side note, I see you are from one of our favorite places, Ireland!

Thanks for caring.
Margjo

Hi Marjo,
Glad all is o.k with your eyes. As I said previously my Opthalmogist
says my sparkling lights in my eye is age related and my brother who
experienced cobweb type floaters was told the same. We are both in our sixties.
I will be kept under observation and I guess you will too.
Keep well,

Solofelix.

Reply Reply