It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

Kandice21 HB User
Vitreous Hemorrhage Reabsorbtion? (Am I going to need surgery :/)

I’m 21 years old and 8 months ago I got grazed in my right eye by a clump of dirt someone threw. When I went to the doctor the morning after the incident he looked into my eye with a slit lamp and said there was blood there, but that it was too dense for him to see my retina and to come back a week later to give the blood time to disperse a little.

When I went back everything was fine. The blood remained, but has gotten lighter and more mobile (I guess) over the past 8 months, although I still notice light, wispy, pieces dart across my vision when looking up at a clear blue sky.

I guess what I am asking is that these remnants of blood that I still see in my eye…are they ever going to fully dissolve without surgical intervention? I read somewhere that blood takes longer to dissolve in ‘younger’ eyes with a fully formed vitreous (I’m only 21).

Is it normal for pieces of blood from a traumatic vitreous hemorrhage to still be present in the eye after so many months in cases like mine? Should I expect to live with this for life, or will it eventually dissolve? I wasn’t given much information on Vitreous Hemorrhages except for what I’ve read on the internet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Re: Vitreous Hemorrhage Reabsorbtion? (Am I going to need surgery :/)

I'll just hazard a tentative and un-expert guess, in hopes it will help you get through this by letting you know we care.

Are you by any chance low (hypo) thyroid? Injections into the eyeball, steroid Kenalog for one example, for chronic inflammation, sometimes won't drain out, and web searching taught me this condition is called "metabolic" something. I forget the other word, unless it's "drainage". I wasn't told anything about a drainage problem, ( had had several Kenalog injections) and that it's not really licensed for eyes, especially not for hypo-thyroid patients, until I'd had Kenalog debris in one eye for SEVEN years!

There had already been a more recent similar injection in the other eye, more than one year ago now, which also won't drain out. On my own, knowing doctors are very afraid of increasing thyroid dosages, not much being known about thyroid until recently with the web forums, I bit off a small chip every other day for about a week, and no longer see any debris most days in the 7-yr eye. The newer injection had not deteriorated, evidently, enough, but SOME of it went away. I probably need to do the experiment again. Drivers' license exam in March.

Vision had immediately gone "down" from 20/40 in that eye with the latest injection, when some truth began to be expressed ("I thought since your thyroid dose is so high, it would be okay") to, with the last injection, 20/30 and I have no way of knowing yet if the DAMAGE is permanent or if drainage would improve it. Also don't know if I would have the same drainage problem if they resort to Avastin or something.

Lately, learning to knit, my vision has been getting worse, seems like mucus in that eye when I get up mornings. I've read that's typical of ageing eyes with macular damage or age-related macular degeneration.

We have all the luck, don't we, when we have eye problems. I've had the maximum laser treatments for diabetic retinopahty, rogue extra blood vessels that have to be sealed. One time I was trimming shrubbery, with my glasses on so you'd think I wouldn't get branches in my eyes, but one got in behind my glasses, from the side, and I had to go to the opthalmologist, who said it's injured but will heal, and it did. I can sympathize with you about the dirt ball accident, almost been there. Did you have some kind of drops with which to wash out your eye? Might there still be some infection?

Please keep us posted about what happens, and what they did to improve it, if anything. Maybe they never had the problem before? Guess you did or will google with a term like "Foreign matter in eye" and/or "Accidental dirt in eye"? Good luck.

Last edited by Eagle; 11-04-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: To assure her she's not alone and perhaps get more info for my own problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
(female)

Kandice21 HB User

Eagle, thank you so much for replying to me.

Well, as far as I know, I don't have any thyroid issues. I actually got checked for them a month ago; large eyes run in my family, so that's always been a concern from my main optometrist, but everything is fine! Also, I've never had anything injected into my eye...no dirt or debris that I know of (I assume the doctor would have told me). Just blood.

I think I'm just starting to become worried about whatever's in my eye because it has been eight months. Granted, each month the blood (or whatever it is) still seems to be getting lighter. It has changed drastically from the onset to now. Right now, it's just a wispy strand, which probably wouldn't even be bothersome to a 'normal' individual, but of course I have anxiety, which doesn't help.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kandice21:
Eagle (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Well if most of it is gone already, it's evidently just going to take a little more time. It's very interesting to find that euthyroid people can also have slow drainage, and it's good to remember that no actual foreign material got into your eye.

Gave you a hug. Sounds like you're almost home. Happy Election Day 2012. Hope we elect the right President.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

Kandice21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Well if most of it is gone already, it's evidently just going to take a little more time. It's very interesting to find that euthyroid people can also have slow drainage, and it's good to remember that no actual foreign material got into your eye.

Gave you a hug. Sounds like you're almost home. Happy Election Day 2012. Hope we elect the right President.
Thank you again for your kind words and advice, Eagle.
Did who you wanted to win, win?

Closed Thread