It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

ReeseCup914 HB User
Has anyone here had the TECNIS Multifocal Lens implant?

Hi I am new here. I am a 55 yr old female. I would like to know if anyone here has ever had the TECNIS Multifocal Lens implant. I went to the eye dr this week and found out I have beginning of cataracts. My dr offered to do this procedure to remove the cataract and insert a new lens into my eye. It is not the same as lasik surgery. This lens is good for life, and you never have to wear glasses again. You also wont have night blindness either. The procedure is done in out patient and only takes 15- 45 mins. You are awake through the procedure but without any pain at all. They only cut an 1/8th in cut to insert the lens. It works for both nearsighted and far sighted. Your vision should be clear again as in younger days. Sounds like a miracle, huh? Well I am thinking on it and considering it but I wish I could find someone who had it done so I could talk with them and see how it was for them. My Dr is well accredited and was the first to introduce this surgery in La in 2010. But I would still like to find someone who had it done. Anyone out there who did?

Last edited by ReeseCup914; 11-09-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: left out a word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
(female)

tubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB User
Re: Has anyone here had the TECNIS Multifocal Lens implant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseCup914 View Post
Hi I am new here. I am a 55 yr old female. I would like to know if anyone here has ever had the TECNIS Multifocal Lens implant. I went to the eye dr this week and found out I have beginning of cataracts. My dr offered to do this procedure to remove the cataract and insert a new lens into my eye. It is not the same as lasik surgery. This lens is good for life, and you never have to wear glasses again. You also wont have night blindness either. The procedure is done in out patient and only takes 15- 45 mins. You are awake through the procedure but without any pain at all. They only cut an 1/8th in cut to insert the lens. It works for both nearsighted and far sighted. Your vision should be clear again as in younger days. Sounds like a miracle, huh? Well I am thinking on it and considering it but I wish I could find someone who had it done so I could talk with them and see how it was for them. My Dr is well accredited and was the first to introduce this surgery in La in 2010. But I would still like to find someone who had it done. Anyone out there who did?
Do LOTS and LOTS of research on the multi-focal IOL's. There are many unhappy recipients of these lenses on this forum and other forums. So many people were disappointed with these multi-focals lenses that they had them removed (risky ) and had mono-focals put in.
The Doctors and Lens reps are hyping all the up-sides, and not necessarily warning about the real down-sides.

Just a suggestion, but don't rush into making your decision until you read lots more and even get 2nd and 3rd opinions from other Cataract surgeons.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to tubint For This Useful Post:
ReeseCup914 (11-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
(female)

ReeseCup914 HB User

Thank you Tubint, I will certainly do my research on this. It really does almost sound too good to be true. I will be searching this board and others to see exactly what the outcome for others have been. Thanx again!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
(female)

eyemar HB Usereyemar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseCup914 View Post
Hi ReeseCup,
I am a 54 years old and I'm scheduled for cataract surgery in Jan. of 2013.
I have done some research on multifocal lens, and I have decided that I'm getting the "standard" monofocal. Due to risk involved and I have talked to 3 peopel who had had the multifocals and they all say they still have to were reading glasses and that night glare is bad. I've had prior eye surgery too, so that makes me at a greater risk, so that is a big factor for me also.
Before, you have surgery get on-line and read everything you can about the lens your Dr. is telling you about. that will help you make an informed decision. I wish you the very best.
Let us know what you decide.
Thanks,
eyemar

The Following User Says Thank You to eyemar For This Useful Post:
ReeseCup914 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
(female)

ReeseCup914 HB User

Thank you eyemar, I am scouting around and listening to others and reading up. I am afraid of messing my eyes up worse, they are the only ones I have so I must be very cautious. If I end up having to still wear glasses then I will have defeated my purpose. I already have bad night blindness so if it doesnt help that, I might not want it for that reason also. Thank you for your reply and opinion, I appreciate it very much! Best wishes to you also on your surgery in Jan. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
(female)

Tiffs mom HB User

Reese, did you get the tecnis implant. I am thinking of having it too and would love to know how you, and anyone, likes them

Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
(male)

Explorer72 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffs mom View Post
Reese, did you get the tecnis implant. I am thinking of having it too and would love to know how you, and anyone, likes them
I am also trying to decide to do Tecnis multi focal vs mono focal. Can any one share their experiences?

Closed Thread