It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
(male)

rob1980 HB User
Contact/eye problem

Hi all,

I'm 32, and I've worn contacts for over 15 years now. Never had any kind of problems before. My previous optometrist retired, and I had to find a new one. I used to wear Acuvue 2, and this new doctor put me on Oasys.

The Oasys never seemed to agree with me. About three months ago I started getting bad headaches in both temples and around my eyes, dizzy spells that seem to originate in the eye area, and "wooziness" that seems to come from the eye/temple/forehead region. The strongest waves seem to come when I stand up, like a "head rush" sensation. It feels like I'm wearing someone else's glasses, that's the best way to describe it. I've had blood tests and a head x-ray recently, and they were fine, so it must be my contacts.

This new doctor gave me another exam and said I have "silicone intolerance". He put me back on Acuvue 2 monthly lenses. He also switched the size back from Oasys 8.7 to Acuvue 2 8.3. My previous doctor put me at -5.25 power in the left eye and -5.00 in the right, but this doctor has me at both -5.25.

The change didn't help. The headaches and wooziness are still there, even after the lenses soak all night. I've even left them soaking for 2-3 days just to make sure. No change. I've been back to the optometrist twice, and he says everything is right. I've tried two different cleaning solutions, but still no change.

I've never been tested me for astigmatism or any kind of eye disorder, just the standard eye exam. He tells me my vision is 20/20 with the lenses in. I can see well, but they don't "feel right" vision-wise. I even took an online astigmatism test (something with rings and black and white boxes), and it doesn't seem like I have astigmatism. My eyes don't feel dry or scratchy, they just feel so tired all the time and make me have headaches.

Am I crazy? I'm worried that if I go back again, this doctor is going to think I'm nuts, or making it all up, or just trying to be a bug. Not to knock the guy, but he doesn't seem very understanding, and he always seems to hurry things. But I don't want to seem like one of "those patients" who's never satisfied

Should I get an appointment with an ophthalmologist? Could some kind of vision-related medical condition exist which an optometrist might miss? Could it be something as simple as the lenses not fitting properly, or being too strong or too weak? Is it possible to become intolerant to contacts, to certain lens brands, or to certain cleaning solutions? Does this sound like a common problem at all?

It's been months since the lens switch. The doctor hasn't mentioned there being amoeba or anything. I remove/soak my contacts each night and very rarely fall asleep wearing them. It seems like I should be adjusted and back to normal. In 15+ years of wearing contacts I've never experienced anything like this, even back in college when I slept in my contacts all the time (bad, I know). Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on this issue? I work very hard, and I like to have fun, but this problem is now affecting me very negatively on a daily basis. I'm at my wits' end with this =/

Thanks so much for your help and understanding, please be nice to me because I'm new to the forum thing.

Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
(female)

eyemar HB Usereyemar HB User
Re: Contact/eye problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1980 View Post
Hi all,

I'm 32, and I've worn contacts for over 15 years now. Never had any kind of problems before. My previous optometrist retired, and I had to find a new one. I used to wear Acuvue 2, and this new doctor put me on Oasys.

The Oasys never seemed to agree with me. About three months ago I started getting bad headaches in both temples and around my eyes, dizzy spells that seem to originate in the eye area, and "wooziness" that seems to come from the eye/temple/forehead region. The strongest waves seem to come when I stand up, like a "head rush" sensation. It feels like I'm wearing someone else's glasses, that's the best way to describe it. I've had blood tests and a head x-ray recently, and they were fine, so it must be my contacts.

This new doctor gave me another exam and said I have "silicone intolerance". He put me back on Acuvue 2 monthly lenses. He also switched the size back from Oasys 8.7 to Acuvue 2 8.3. My previous doctor put me at -5.25 power in the left eye and -5.00 in the right, but this doctor has me at both -5.25.

The change didn't help. The headaches and wooziness are still there, even after the lenses soak all night. I've even left them soaking for 2-3 days just to make sure. No change. I've been back to the optometrist twice, and he says everything is right. I've tried two different cleaning solutions, but still no change.

I've never been tested me for astigmatism or any kind of eye disorder, just the standard eye exam. He tells me my vision is 20/20 with the lenses in. I can see well, but they don't "feel right" vision-wise. I even took an online astigmatism test (something with rings and black and white boxes), and it doesn't seem like I have astigmatism. My eyes don't feel dry or scratchy, they just feel so tired all the time and make me have headaches.

Am I crazy? I'm worried that if I go back again, this doctor is going to think I'm nuts, or making it all up, or just trying to be a bug. Not to knock the guy, but he doesn't seem very understanding, and he always seems to hurry things. But I don't want to seem like one of "those patients" who's never satisfied

Should I get an appointment with an ophthalmologist? Could some kind of vision-related medical condition exist which an optometrist might miss? Could it be something as simple as the lenses not fitting properly, or being too strong or too weak? Is it possible to become intolerant to contacts, to certain lens brands, or to certain cleaning solutions? Does this sound like a common problem at all?

It's been months since the lens switch. The doctor hasn't mentioned there being amoeba or anything. I remove/soak my contacts each night and very rarely fall asleep wearing them. It seems like I should be adjusted and back to normal. In 15+ years of wearing contacts I've never experienced anything like this, even back in college when I slept in my contacts all the time (bad, I know). Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on this issue? I work very hard, and I like to have fun, but this problem is now affecting me very negatively on a daily basis. I'm at my wits' end with this =/

Thanks so much for your help and understanding, please be nice to me because I'm new to the forum thing.

Rob

Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

eyemar HB Usereyemar HB User

Hi Rob,
Yes, definately see an ophthalmologist. (maybe more than one, if you are not satisfied!
Good Luck,
eyemar

Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
(male)

rob1980 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyemar View Post
Hi Rob,
Yes, definately see an ophthalmologist. (maybe more than one, if you are not satisfied!
Good Luck,
eyemar

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't have an ophthalmologist at the moment. Still looking for one around here.

This isn't something to be worried about, right..? :3 I mean, it's not like I'm gonna die or something, if I don't find a doctor in the next week or so...right..?

Rob

Reply Reply