It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
(male)

rfnel HB User
Vision Concerns

Hi Everyone

I'm becoming more and more concerned over my vision. It used to be pretty good during my teens. It worsened after I had started working (probably due to spending up to 14 - 16 hours a day in front of a computer screen). I am now 24 years old. I started wearing glasses in 2009, about a year and a half after I had started working. During my very first vision exam, prior to getting my first set of glasses, I had double vision while looking through the corrective lenses that they use during the exam. Due to this, the optometrist said that my eyes do not focus together, and he gave me lenses with prisms. He also said that, due to the prisms, he cannot give me lenses that are too strong and that, subsequently, I cannot get 20/20 vision wearing glasses. During my most recent vision exam (early 2012), the double vision issue was still there. Under normal conditions, I've never had double vision, but distant objects are very blurred. My night-vision, even with glasses, is very poor.

It appears that my vision is still worsening, especially in my left eye. I took a very hard knock to the left side of my skull late in 2008. I wanted to attribute part of my deteriorating vision to that, but a neurosurgeon said that my the part of my brain that is responsible for vision hasn't been affected.

I have also seen an opthalmologist and an orthoptist. Apart from my nearsightedness (and the fact that my eyes don't focus together), the ophthalmologist couldn't find anything wrong with my eyes. I suffer from a large number of eye floaters as well (and they seem to be increasing), but the opthalmologist said that it is normal for nearsighted people to see floaters.

The orthoptist gave me a focus exercise to do - it's a piece of paper with two partial cat outlines on either side of the paper. The idea is to line the cats up to form one cat containing elements from both, by looking over the paper and focussing on an object in the distance. I still can't manage to get a clear view of the picture by doing this. However, if I focus on a point in front of the paper, I can easily do it. My near vision (< 30 - 40cm) is excellent, and I think that explains why the exercise is so easy to do if I put my focus point between myself and the picture. I'd appreciate suggestions on making it work if I focus on a distant point.

I cannot even play a game of billiards without glasses anymore, since everything becomes blurry. Golf is a problem as well - as soon as the ball goes past a cloud or something, I lose it immediately, even with my glasses. I'd really like to regain proper vision. If I can at least get my eyes to work together, I can get stronger glasses which will help already. What are my options? Do any of the numerous "vision recovery" programs on the internet work? Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
rfnel

Last edited by rfnel; 12-29-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread