It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
(female)

Vee1983 HB User
Recurrent Corneal Erosion

Late November 2012, I got a paper-cut in my cornea. It was pretty bad...the paper was kinda thick. The doctor put me on antibiotic drops followed by Prednisolone. I'm a steroid responder so the Prednisolone drops elevated my eye pressure. I had to also use Refresh drops because my eyes became a bit dry. I thought I was doing fine. The doctor saw through the slit-lamp that the abrasion had healed. After a month, I woke up to a minor RCE. A week after that (last week Saturday to be precise), I got a bad RCE that caused swelling all over again. Now I'm back on the antibiotic drops and Muro 128 drops + ointment.

Seriously, does anyone recover in the long-term from this by just lubricating the eye? It is said that the epithelial layer requires about a year to thicken so one can live an RCE-free life...but how come I can't find success stories online of people who overcame the condition by just lubricating? For some people, they go fine without an RCE for years, and then it strikes again! Why??!!!!

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences. I keep learning more about RCE every day to keep coping with this nightmare.

Last edited by Vee1983; 01-07-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Re: Recurrent Corneal Erosion

As an elderly diabetic with low vision, Dry Eye, etc., I may have cornea problems, mostly Inflammation, once got poked trimming shrubbery although I was wearing my glasses, but it healed pretty quickly. Have both age-related and injury-related macula deterioration, have to turn down church music and other music jobs, enlarging absolutely everything just too much of a job any more. Afraid I'll not be able to renew driving license this spring, reason I'm reading here. Sorry I can't help you but hopefully some can and will. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

dancinshoes HB User
Re: Recurrent Corneal Erosion

I had a chronic corneal erosion from a cut from a paper bag for 5 years until I was cured by “accident”. I do not recommend my “accidental cure” to anyone but want you to know it is possible to be cured.

Like you, my doctor had me lubricating my eye. It would get better for a short time, and then it would come back, presumably because the eye forms a “scab” that gets ripped away by the eyelid, re-opening the wound. Of course, an open wound is subject to infection.

Anyway, I was using a lubricating ointment in a tube. Unknown to me, we received a sample of a cold sore treatment which my husband put in the medicine cabinet next to the lubricating ointment for my eye. Yep, you guessed it! I didn’t read the label and put the cold sore treatment in my eye by mistake. The pain was excruciating! Since it is an ointment, it wouldn’t wash out of my eye. Ultimately, when the pain subsided a little, I went to sleep. When I woke up my eye felt better than it had in years. The corneal erosion was gone and has never come back (15+ years). This cold sore treatment is absolutely NOT recommended for use in the eyes. It contains both camphor and phenol so please don’t try this. It could be harmful to your eye.

My point is, there IS something that will work for you too. Don’t give up. If your doctor doesn’t try alternatives remedies, you might want consider getting another doctor.

You may want to show this post to your doctor with a list of ingredients in the cold sore treatment. Perhaps he can figure out what ingredient was effective and prescribe something with a similar action for you that would be safe for your eyes.

Last edited by mod85; 08-26-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Forgot last paragraph

Reply Reply