It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Perfumed Fan HB User
Can I still have laser surgery without going off my meds

I was diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy a few days ago. My left eye is fine but the vision in the right is about gone. The doctor says laser surgery MIGHT stop the loss of vision but will not restore it. My blood glucose and blood pressure are not under control. I'm also taking coumadin for a blood clot. Can I still have surgery with my glucose and bp out of control? Will I have to stop taking my meds before surgery? Since the vision is pretty much gone and can't be restored I'm much more afraid of having a stroke(they run in my family) and am OK with sacrificing the eye for an operation that doesn't sound very promising.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
(female)

mlsano HB Usermlsano HB User
Re: Can I still have laser surgery without going off my meds

Hi, From the research that I have done for Cataracts,,, It looks like anything that interferes with bleeding time such as aspirin, Plavix and Coumadin must be stopped 3 days in advance so that your eyes bleeding time will be normal. Even when I go to the dentist I have to stop my Plavix or else whatever he Pulls out of my mouse wont stop bleeding for DAYS. With Coumadin I know that they sometimes give vitamin K because Coumadin is a strong one. Don't do anything until they tell you tho....and don't take K on your own. But I would def. mention to the eye surgeon well in advance, MORE THAN ONE TIME that you are taking these blood altering meds ! Oh, and then again when you are on the surgery table TELL HIM AGAIN......they have a lot on their minds......Best of Luck....mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

mlsano HB Usermlsano HB User
Re: Can I still have laser surgery without going off my meds

Oh I forgot one more thing....that surgery helped save my brother in laws eyesight for a good 5 years so it may be more promising than you think........he also had uncontrollable diabetes (from alcoholism) and had already lost his legs....he was also only in his 50's at the time.

Reply Reply