It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

Kelly54 HB User
glasses after cataract surgery for one eye

I just had surgery for a cataract in my left eye and learned AFTER the operation that my glasses no longer can be worn for the unoperated right eye. Had no idea this was going to be the situation After reading several posts, I see there are three choices. One is to wear a contact in the right eye - however, the right eye waters and itches a lot and I simply cannot wear the contact - it's too painful Lasik is an option, but I'm afraid to go that route. The dr. mentioned getting a clear lens implanted in the right eye in a few weeks to "fix" it, but I am VERY hestitant to go through with this because I'm terrified of a 2nd error here. I have attempted to go without any corrective lens on the right eye, but my contacts are a -9.00 so my world is so blurred when I do that - and it's impossible to drive. My question is: Has anyone gotten one of these clear lens implanted (supposedly similar to cataract surgery)? I've read they can remove them if necessary to adjust the prescription later if needed. I am 54 now and still work full time and need my eyes to work. I am also frustrated the opthomologist never asked me if I'd be OK with wearing contacts all day every day after the surgery, rather than my glasses. I do not know the chances of getting a cataract in right eye, since the left cataract is probably the result of a retinal detachment from years ago when a drunk driver hit me. If anyone can offer any kind of answer, it would be greatly apprecated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
(female)

eyemar HB Usereyemar HB User
Re: glasses after cataract surgery for one eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly54 View Post
I just had surgery for a cataract in my left eye and learned AFTER the operation that my glasses no longer can be worn for the unoperated right eye. Had no idea this was going to be the situation After reading several posts, I see there are three choices. One is to wear a contact in the right eye - however, the right eye waters and itches a lot and I simply cannot wear the contact - it's too painful Lasik is an option, but I'm afraid to go that route. The dr. mentioned getting a clear lens implanted in the right eye in a few weeks to "fix" it, but I am VERY hestitant to go through with this because I'm terrified of a 2nd error here. I have attempted to go without any corrective lens on the right eye, but my contacts are a -9.00 so my world is so blurred when I do that - and it's impossible to drive. My question is: Has anyone gotten one of these clear lens implanted (supposedly similar to cataract surgery)? I've read they can remove them if necessary to adjust the prescription later if needed. I am 54 now and still work full time and need my eyes to work. I am also frustrated the opthomologist never asked me if I'd be OK with wearing contacts all day every day after the surgery, rather than my glasses. I do not know the chances of getting a cataract in right eye, since the left cataract is probably the result of a retinal detachment from years ago when a drunk driver hit me. If anyone can offer any kind of answer, it would be greatly apprecated.
Hi Kelly,
I just had cataract surgery in my left eye due to a vitrectromy I had a year ago. It will be a month and I'm scheduled to see my regular eye dr. for new glasses this week. I'm thinking that they should be able to match up my glasses for both eyes. It should not be any different than when our vision is different even before surgery. I'm 54 too, and still work, so I know what you mean about really needing to be able to see for work.

It maybe worth your time to see another eye dr.
Good Luck,
eyemar

Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Amen to that opinion that you should see another eye doctor, maybe even two. Someone might be just wanting to do more surgery because lucrative for him or her?

Sympathy about opthalmologists' habit of not telling or asking us very much. Example,I have low thyroid and Autoimmune disease, inflammation, should not have had steroid Kenalog injections for eye inflammation. One finally told me they ASSUMED that since I was taking a large thyroid dose, it would be okay. But I have Thyroid Resistance, Antibodies that evidently interfere somewhat with the T4 medication, and "metabolic drainage problem", debris like stringy and spotty floaters for more than 7 yrs in other eye before I found this out. Some people are now trying to get Kenalog off the market, causes problems even for muscles elsewhere in body. Don't know yet if Ibuprofin and Krill Oil will take care of all the inflammation including arthritis.

Last edited by Eagle; 03-19-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Add something.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
(female)

Kelly54 HB User

I am curious what happened when you went to get fitted for new glasses. Did you have success in getting a pair that worked for the unoperated eye? Please tell me what they did if this is the case. Also, was the vitrectromy (sp?) to eliminate floaters and was it successful? I have floaters in the eye that was operated on for the cataract, and they are still there after surgery - but I knew the cataract surgery would not correct that issue. As for a 2nd opinion, I've been googling like a madwoman (sometimes the Internet can be more of a hindrance). Anyway, both my opthomologist and optometrist have explained that glasses won't work any more. Now I am wearing a contact all day in the right eye. To make matters worse, it seems I have blephartis or something in that eye too - it waters all day and the inner corner itches terribly. This occurs even when the contact is out. To not wear the contact means not leaving my house This is impossible since I work full-time and need to drive and just basically need to see to live my life. So I am just trying to deal with the burning/itching and wearing the daily wear contact all day. It is so frustrating; I'm tired of answering the question "How are your eyes after surgery" because I hate trying to explain the whole mess to people who have no idea how lucky they are to have no eye issues. I'm trying to be positive and not think about it too much, but with all the advances in science, I can't believe there's no solution for these issues.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

Marji116 HB User

I had cataract surgery when I was 56 on both eyes. I went from being extremely nearsighted (-19 and-17.5) to now being farsighted. I also have myopic macular degeneration just in the left eye. I wear progressive lens eyeglasses to accommodate my near, mid and distance vision for my farsighted right eye. I don't have much of a prescription for the left eye since I can't see much with that eye anyway. Why can't they fit your unoperated eye for the nearsightedness and whatever new prescription you need for the operated eye? Good luck--I know how frustrating it is to get people to understand.

Last edited by Marji116; 04-15-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: My location is not caucasian--must have auto-filled when I joined this group. I'm from Memphis, TN

Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
(female)

Kelly54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marji116 View Post
I had cataract surgery when I was 56 on both eyes. I went from being extremely nearsighted (-19 and-17.5) to now being farsighted. I also have myopic macular degeneration just in the left eye. I wear progressive lens eyeglasses to accommodate my near, mid and distance vision for my farsighted right eye. I don't have much of a prescription for the left eye since I can't see much with that eye anyway. Why can't they fit your unoperated eye for the nearsightedness and whatever new prescription you need for the operated eye? Good luck--I know how frustrating it is to get people to understand.
Thanks for responding Margi. I was wearing progressive lens eyeglasses before the cataract surgery to correct both eyes. However, I was barely wearing my contacts the last year or so, and found the glasses to be the most comfortable for my eyes. I'd only wear contacts for special occassions. Well, the operated eye is now 20/25 and only requires reading glasses. Both the optometrist and opthomologist have explained glasses won't work anymore on the unoperated eye, since there is no prescription for the new eye (operated eye). I've read a lot of posts where people are experiencing the same thing. I also spoke with a friend of mine who recently had cataract surgery in only one eye too - and the exact same thing happened to her - she can't wear her glasses any more either If I close the operated eye, THEN the old glasses work fine for my unoperated eye. However, once I open the new eye - the glasses stop working. My friend also was not told by her dr that she would not be able to wear her glasses anymore.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
(female)

Marji116 HB User

It must be because of the huge difference in diopter strength. When I had my cataract surgery I went about 2 weeks between the operations. I remember they took out the lens on my glasses for my operated eye --the one that was now farsighted. I had to have someone drive me to work and when I got to work (I sat in front of a computer for 8 hours) I took off my old nearsighted glasses and wore readers to see the computer with my newly operated on eye. I also had to keep my unoperated nearsighted eye closed. What a hassle but it was just for 2 weeks.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
(female)

PainTech HB User
Smile Re: glasses after cataract surgery for one eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly54 View Post
Hello Kelly:

I was going through this board for vision this morning when I saw your posting. I have personally had 6 eye operations!! I have had RK, 2 Lasik, C3R to correct the cuts on the cornea from RK, Cataracts and after all these procedures have left me with Glaucoma, which can cause blindness if the pressure in not kept to a minimum. I feel for you, as after my cataract surgery was performed, it took over a year for the vision to come back. I waited and waited. It never came back as good as it was, so the Eye Surgeon performed another lasik after one years time on both eyes.
I recommend that you wait to regain vision of the cataract surgery eye, and wear a contact lens on the other eye. I personally would not risk your healthy eye with a unnecessary operation, The vision could take months to fully recover on the cataract surgery eye. As there are no guarantees, go slowly. Try wearing a soft daily disposal type of a contact lens, such as 1 day Acuvue Moist, with the correct curvature, as determined by your eye care Practitioner. If you only need it for the one eye, these daily wear lenses are super comfortable to wear.
You mentioned that you are still working and your vision can not be at risk in both eyes at once. In my case I had to wait for one year after the cataract surgery, then the lasik was performed with hopes that I would have a 20/20 vision. Unfortunately due to numerous procedures I have now been left with glaucoma, which is high eye pressure and no glass or lens will correct the ailment. In the end my conclusuon is to take it slow, As eyes take a long time to heal. If you have any other questions, please ask away, I hope this has been of some assistance to you! Cheers.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
(female)

Kelly54 HB User

PainTech - Thank you for your response. Six operations! I cannot even imagine My daughter (23) wants to do Lasik and I am trying to convince her to leave well enough alone. Glasses are not the worst thing in the world, as we both now know. I just ordered the daily wear contacts, so I hope I adjust. If dry eyes are a problem (which they are starting to be), I may need to do the 2nd cataract surgery (even tho there is no cataract at this time). I will definitely hold off for as long as I can though. It's funny because before the cataract surgery, all I heard was wonderful things from everyone who has had it done. I did not realize the potential problems that could arise after the surgery. I wish you well with your glaucoma. I do appreciate that you took the time to respond to my post.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
(female)

meghana HB User

Quote:

Hi Marji,

I am meghana, I came across this thread. I am extremely near sighted(-13d).
I have dry myopic macular degeneration. My symptoms started 03/13 and getting worse every month. I have lot of distortion. I am 38 years old.
Few questions, if you can answer. What kind do you have? Dry or wet.

do you know if dry will stay stable or will continue get worse with the rx i have. I am unable to get information.

If you dont mind can you please share your symptoms and any info you have on myopic MD.

Thankyou
Meghana

Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
(female)

Marji116 HB User

Hi Meghana,
I guess my MMD started off as wet. When I first went in for my cataract evaluation they told me I had a "bleed" in just my left eye but it had healed on its own. They went ahead with the cataract surgery and it started to bleed again. This is called choroidal neovascularization or CNV. The way I understand it is when you're extremely nearsighted your eyeball stretches and causes the retina to get very thin and fragile and this is what causes the bleeding. I had several PDT laser treatments and one shot of Avastin and have been stable for 8 years now. The spot on my eye where the bleed happened left a scar and this is what causes my distortion. Also for the past 2 years I sometimes get double vision only when watching TV and this is my biggest problem now. I had a prism put in my left eyeglass lens and this helps a little bit. There is a FB group for people with both age-related macular degneration and myopic MD. I never realized so many people have this problem and most of them are in your age group. Good luck--I understand how scary and frustrating this can be.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
(female)

meghana HB User

Thankyou Marji

Quote:
Hi Meghana,
I guess my MMD started off as wet. When I first went in for my cataract evaluation they told me I had a "bleed" in just my left eye but it had healed on its own. They went ahead with the cataract surgery and it started to bleed again. This is called choroidal neovascularization or CNV. The way I understand it is when you're extremely nearsighted your eyeball stretches and causes the retina to get very thin and fragile and this is what causes the bleeding. I had several PDT laser treatments and one shot of Avastin and have been stable for 8 years now. The spot on my eye where the bleed happened left a scar and this is what causes my distortion. Also for the past 2 years I sometimes get double vision only when watching TV and this is my biggest problem now. I had a prism put in my left eyeglass lens and this helps a little bit. There is a FB group for people with both age-related macular degneration and myopic MD. I never realized so many people have this problem and most of them are in your age group. Good luck--I understand how scary and frustrating this can be.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
(male)

Jelin HB User

I just had the cataract surgery on my left eye 4 days ago. The lens is ReStor/multifocal. After the surgery, my left eye can see farsight and nearsight (with my right eye closed - the unoperated one). However, when I try to read a chapter from a book or the articles in a newspaper with my right eye closed, the words are blurred. I talked to the doctor, he said that the reading should be better after I have done the cataract surgery on my right eye, that is, after the cataract surgery on both eyes.
To be frank, I am not sure whether the doctor said is going to happen. I am thinking about not to do the cataract surgery on my right eye. Is this a wise decision? Please help. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
(male)

randyk47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelin View Post
I just had the cataract surgery on my left eye 4 days ago. The lens is ReStor/multifocal. After the surgery, my left eye can see farsight and nearsight (with my right eye closed - the unoperated one). However, when I try to read a chapter from a book or the articles in a newspaper with my right eye closed, the words are blurred. I talked to the doctor, he said that the reading should be better after I have done the cataract surgery on my right eye, that is, after the cataract surgery on both eyes.
To be frank, I am not sure whether the doctor said is going to happen. I am thinking about not to do the cataract surgery on my right eye. Is this a wise decision? Please help. Thanks.
I think it's probably a little early to be making too many decisions on future surgery. I know it was actually several weeks after the surgery on my first eye before it fully recovered and settled into the new lens. In my case the second eye was not an initial issue but about two and a half years later the cataract in that eye got to the point where it was actually causing the first eye to work harder and I thought I was having an issue with it. At almost three years to the date my eye surgeon did the second eye and I'm quite pleased and now blessed with vision about as good as I had in my twenties.

Reply Reply