It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
(male)

drewlizard HB User
Chinese Herbal Medicine for Blepharitis?

I got blepharitis about 3 months ago. I didn't know until 10 days after when i went to an eye doctor what is it as i had lot of pain in my eyes. I had the stuff in my eyelids etc and lot of pain in the morning. I also have acne around my face too and losing eyelashes and eyebrows as well and i see blepharitis is related to all of this. I also been very stressed/depressed because of this.

The eye doctor gave me some special eyedrops that seem to work for 2 days but i then ran out of it. I then bought some ocosoft lit scrub online as i read it helps blepharits. I bought the foam and the ocusoft lid scrub plus. It seemed to work and less pain but after few days, pain comes back.

I'm Chinese and my mother told me there are these these places in chinatown where they do chinese herb medicine and they have some medicine/drink that works for health problems. Like if you have sore throat or stuff like that they give you some pills to take and stuff to drink where you make at home that works.

Does anyone know if stuff like this would work? My mother told me when she went there today and told them i had this... she said blepharitis in Chinese... that person said oh... thats not a big problem and its minor. They said after you take some pills/herbs from them, it will go away and this isn't something that is huge problem.

I'm feeling hopeless now but does anyone know if stuff like this would work or tried it? She told me it cost less than $100 for it total which to me is nothing but i feel like this probably won't do much? My mother told me her brother had some sore throat etc and went to see them for it and was given some pill/herbal medicine and then it got better.

Anyone have experience on this or you think its a waste of time? Also, does anyone think a dermatologist is the person who could solve this problem? Eye doctor said a cause of this could be either eye inflammation or it could be acne and my face has broke out a lot as well prior to this and now as well.

I also have lot of pimples/rash around my eye area. I also broke out pretty badly on my face as well. Does anyone think dermatologist solving my problem would lead to the blepharistis stopping as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
(female)

mlsano HB Usermlsano HB User
Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine for Blepharitis?

Ialso have blepharitis.

I have had it for two years before my Opth. decided to let me know. (I also have beginning stage cataracts, panic disorder from all of my illnesses including CAD and a neg 9 diapters) He my((ophthalmologist)) was accusing my non-existant eye make up on my side effects of red irritated eyelids - pain in and around the eyes - gritty, sand like structures inside my eyes and my acuity, well lets just see getting worse and worse. I am older than you, getting ready to 56 and these things are expected to be normal for someone getting ready to hit around 60 or so.

I cannot help you right now, but I am going to send an email to myself to remind me of OUR problem are they are some oft he same.... = two of my music students are Chinese, and I have known and been teaching them since they were 7 - they are 10 now. The mother, who is Chinese - is extremely intelligent and I am going to ask her about this, she herself wears contacts, so I do not know what her refraction is, but I will ask her. She seems to be open up enough to want to help (me/us) other people if she can - she seems to know a lot of different things about different things.....when i see her on Sunday - i will see what she says and get you back an answer

So best of luck to us, I will see her on sunday, and ask what she knows about Blepharitis as it seems they Most all have horrible (hereditary) eyesight and effects that go with it. In fact her twins are now 10, were premature at birth, and who knows what they went thru at birth, being several months early, know what I mean? Ok, again I wil try to help you with your questions as mine in this catagory are basically the same and I don know why I havent asked her sooner than now!?? TTUSoon!

Mary.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-18-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
(male)

drewlizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsano View Post
Ialso have blepharitis.

I have had it for two years before my Opth. decided to let me know. (I also have beginning stage cataracts, panic disorder from all of my illnesses including CAD and a neg 9 diapters) He my((ophthalmologist)) was accusing my non-existant eye make up on my side effects of red irritated eyelids - pain in and around the eyes - gritty, sand like structures inside my eyes and my acuity, well lets just see getting worse and worse. I am older than you, getting ready to 56 and these things are expected to be normal for someone getting ready to hit around 60 or so.

I cannot help you right now, but I am going to send an email to myself to remind me of OUR problem are they are some oft he same.... = two of my music students are Chinese, and I have known and been teaching them since they were 7 - they are 10 now. The mother, who is Chinese - is extremely intelligent and I am going to ask her about this, she herself wears contacts, so I do not know what her refraction is, but I will ask her. She seems to be open up enough to want to help (me/us) other people if she can - she seems to know a lot of different things about different things.....when i see her on Sunday - i will see what she says and get you back an answer

So best of luck to us, I will see her on sunday, and ask what she knows about Blepharitis as it seems they Most all have horrible (hereditary) eyesight and effects that go with it. In fact her twins are now 10, were premature at birth, and who knows what they went thru at birth, being several months early, know what I mean? Ok, again I wil try to help you with your questions as mine in this catagory are basically the same and I don know why I havent asked her sooner than now!?? TTUSoon!

Mary.

Did you ask her about it?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
(female)

mlsano HB Usermlsano HB User

PS I dont think its a waste of time at all especially if $100 is no big deal for you. FOr me is a HUGE deal but I would try it anyway and I will try it if I trust the guy at the chinatown shop

Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

BlephBeGone HB User

Hi Drewlizard:

I am Chinese and have used the herbal tea method. Actually visited the Chinese herbalist who wrote a "prescription" so the "pharmacist" can put together the concoction and I take home to boil for hours and drink the reduction (from 4 bowls of water to just 1/2 bowl) 2 x a day for 3 days. He said if that didn't help, go back to him or get refill and drink for a few more days. I don't notice the difference yet, and have not had time to visit their "pharmacy" yet, but have plans to do that. At $5.00 per packet of herb (1 packet per day as each packet boils two x for the day), not too expensive an option to try out. So if you are open to new options, give it a try. Though I have not seen improvement yet, I am a firm believer in Chinese herbal tea. I have had other ailments and have used Chinese herbal tea for relief, and they did work. I'm not a strict Eastern medicine user, and I have no qualms of popping Advils when needed, so if I say Eastern medicine also work, believe me. I know what your mom is saying. Sometimes it's what the Cantonese refer as "dry heat" - too much fried foods, not enough sleep, etc.. Good Luck. I'm also going to try using the Wet Ones from another post for relief. The blurred vision and sense of greasiness in the late afternoon is annoying me A LOT, so perhaps the Wet Ones can help.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
(female)

LLucy48 HB User

Hi,
A friend and myself have killed the Blepharitis. She used a facial scrub that had Benzethonium Chloride in it. Her Blepharitis had moved up onto her eye lids. I could not find that product any longer on line (it was from Avon). I looked on line and found Benzethonium Chloride in WET ONES, an antibacterial hand wipe. It is in the red box.
I tore each wipe into 8 pieces and did each eyelash area 2 times 4 times a day for a week and a half. After that I did it 3 times a day for a month. Then it was 2 times a day for several months. Gone. It is a bacterial infection and goes into the roots of the eyelashes and that is why it takes so darn long to get rid of it.
If it was not bacterial this would not have worked.
I was desperate to get rid of it.
There were 3 Doctors who looked into my eyes and could not find it including the one who diagnosed the Blepharitis. I was told it would come back. I told them it had been4-5 months. Now it is almost a year.
I learned to blog so this could help others.
There is a way that a girl can wear mascara and still get rid of this too. I did.
It was not hard and just let me know if someone needs that info.
It is bacterial and please remember that 2 people using 2 different products but with the same Benzethonium Chloride in it have been successful in killing it.
Ulcers were thought to be incurable and yet it was found to be a bacterial infection.
The idea was not well received so the Dr. infected himself and cured himself with an antibiotic. It sounded too easy I guess.
Hope this helps you.

Wishing you well,

LLucy48

The Following User Says Thank You to LLucy48 For This Useful Post:
BlephBeGone (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
(female)

BlephBeGone HB User

Hi LLucy48:

Are you still using the Wet Ones? I bought a container yesterday and plan to start the "treatment" per your suggestion today.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
I have a method that seems to be working. My symptoms are clogged meibomian glands, itchy eye lids, dry eyes.

First step was to get the inflammation down. Ice 2x per day, oral nsaid 2x daily, topical nsaid acular on a qtip applied to eyelid 2x daily. I did this for 2 weeks which turned out to be too long as my eyes felt dryer. During the first week they felt improved so best guess is 4-7 days on step 1.

Step 2 incorporates Lucy's wet ones method, heat, and castor oil. Wipe eyes with the wet ones per Lucy's instructions. Then clean ur sink with it, and fill the sink with very warm almost hot water, leave the wet ones towelette in the water. Then dip a wash cloth in the water and apply for five minutes- keep dipping and applying as the wash cloth cools so that it always stays hot. When done dry your eyes. Then massage the lids. I do that for maybe 2 minutes at most. Then wash with tea tree foam from tranquil eyes. Leave the foam on for 60 seconds then rinse with cool water. Then put the now cool wash cloth on your eyes for 5 minutes to keep them from getting inflamed. Do this 2x per day. If at night, when done put castor oil (hexane free cold pressed) on a clean finger and apply a small amount to the eye lashes and go to sleep.

Not very scientific as I have been doing step 2 for less than a week but my eyes do feel noticeably better. Will check back in a month or so to let you know if it worked. I also protect my eye skin by putting aquafor on all skin where the wash cloth will touch before applying the warm cloth.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
(female)

BlephBeGone HB User

Thank you for this. I'm going to incorporate your method with Lucy's. Can't hurt anymore than what I'm going through now.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
(female)

LLucy48 HB User

Dear BlephBeGone,
I am so sorry. This information went to my spam and I just found it.
I am not using the wet ones any longer as the Blepharitis is gone.
Several people are telling me they can't use the wet ones. It does have lanolin in it and my Mom was allergic to lanolin. Could be other things too for different people.
I did not have a problem except for dryness when I used too large a section of the wet ones. I found I needed to only cover my fingertips and use on eyelash areas.
This worked for me and my friend used a facial scrub that is no longer for sale with Benzethonium Chloride in it. I hope it works for others too.
LLucy48

Old 02-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
(female)

BlephBeGone HB User

Thank you, LLucy48. It's very encouraging to know the Wet Ones really did the trick for you. I tried it for over 2 weeks now, and I must say, it has made some difference, and I will continue to use this until the Blepharitis is completely gone. May your good eye health continues.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
Reporting in.

I have been doing the wet ones for 2 weeks but not as prescribed by doc lucy .

Things have gotten better. The itchiness is diminished alot, eyes feel improved, i dont see any obvious gland clogs but I think there are still clogs because I dont see holes either.

I have been doing wet ones 2x daily followed by warm wash cloth for 5 minutes.

I will be adding two more times of wet ones to get to four Lucy says worked for her starting today and will report back again in 2 weeks.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-05-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
(female)

LLucy48 HB User

Hi BlephBe Gone and Wiskeythekid,

That was really good news to see that years ago Benzethonium Chloride was used with this problem.

I hope you both get relief from this horrible problem. One person was allergic to the hand wipes so it is important to look up all the ingredients in a product.

My friend and I were just 2 desperate people trying to kill this stuff. Hope what worked for us will help others too.

Wish you well,

LLucy48

Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
(female)

BlephBeGone HB User
Smile Blepharitis

Hi LLucy48 and WhiskeyTheKid:

I must admit, I have been using the Wet Ones probably more than 4 times a day. I find that whenever my eyes get that greasy feeling I use the Wet Ones and it helps right away.

I'm a contact lenses wearer and due to dry eyes, I have been unable to wear them as much as I was used to which has significantly brought down the quality of life. With the Wet Ones, I find that I am able to wear the lenses a bit longer, which is a huge deal for me. So THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I will continue the Wet Ones therapy and also what WhiskeyTheKid has suggested and hope to really get the dry eyes at bay, in hope of being to get Lasik soon so I won't have to rely on lenses. Of course, Lasik has tendency to dry eyes even more, but at least I won't have to wear glasses. By the way, I am also using Restasis, and it helps some, but apparently doesn't help with alleviating the greasy film over the eyes, so the Wet Ones saves me from that.

I will report back after my appointment with my opthalmologist on coming Friday to see what he sees in the Blepharitis in my eyes.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
Great glad you are improving.

I had lasik last year and I donot like the results but everyone is different. Apparently I had blepharitis before surgery but the surgeon did not think it was a big deal because it was mild. My regular optometrist didnot detect it. The lasik surgeon noticed it just before we went in and basically said it wasnt a big deal. So mild that I did not have any dryness and was able to wear contacts for over 12 hours a day and never noticed it. However, lasik brought it on full force so in addition to normal lasik dryness I have been battling blepharitis.
Lasik makes a permanent flap in your eye which I did not know until post surgery. I know alot about it now and I think it is pretty brutal thing to do to your eyes.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-05-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Reply Reply