It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
(male)

vitcat2 HB Uservitcat2 HB User
Does wavy vision post-vitrectomy improve with glasses?

I have had vitrectomy surgery 4 months ago for macular detachment/hole in my left eye, and my vision has stabilized to 20/30 since 7 weeks post-op, but has not improved any further after that. The screen-with-holes test did not improve it either. Fortunately, earlier vision stereoscopic issues have gone away, however, I still have slight "wavy" vision in that eye, and was planning to go to an optometrist and see if refractive lenses will improve it any further. Has anybody's visual acuity improved after such an operation for retinal detachment? Is it worth wearing glasses at all? Although I have also had vitrectomy surgery for peripheral macular detachment for the other eye about 8 months ago, since that eye has 20/20 vision, generally, I have no vision issues when both eyes are open, and don't currently wear any corrective glasses. But I know I don't see as sharp as I used to. Will making it sharper also make the words look more wavy/wiggly? What say you?

Thanks for any input on this.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
(female)

Laura1000 HB UserLaura1000 HB UserLaura1000 HB User
Re: Does wavy vision post-vitrectomy improve with glasses?

Hi, I also have wavy vision post vitrectomy after retinal detachment. I have a correcting IOL in this eye now after a cataract was removed so it's hard for me to know what my vision would be like without that, but it has been further improved with glasses as well.

Without glasses, I am less than 20/200 but I can improve to around 20/60 in good lighting. I find that light levels are very important but my prescription really does make a difference too.
It took me quite a long time to find an optician who was both skilled enough and cuts my lenses himself but also who wanted to persevere with me as it was not an easy task.

Something which helped me to keep the cost under control was that my optician ground me some lenses in cheaper thick glass to start with, just to see if they helped before we got the expensive lenses.
I think its worth a try with glasses.
Good luck, best wishes, Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks for responding, Laura. I too have an IOL in that eye, having gone through cataract sx some 11 years ago, and that's why my current vision is what it is, 20/30 without glasses. When your vision became sharper with corrective glasses, as you say, from 20/200 to 20/60, did the waviness reduce too, or go away by any chance? Or, since your vision is now relatively sharper, do the words start appearing more wiggly than before?

Also, is this with both your eyes, or just one, and in the latter case, what's the vision in the other "dominant" eye? My dominant eye, with 20/20 without glasses, seems to carry the day, but sometimes, at intermediate distances, like a car's dashboard, the operated left eye vision is as sharp as the other eye and wants to compete with the dominant right eye, whence, double vision may sometimes appear, although it's not really an issue these days. Does that happen to you?

Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
(female)

Laura1000 HB UserLaura1000 HB UserLaura1000 HB User

Hi, my vision feels more wavy with glasses on, but I don't think it really is, it's just that without the glasses it doesn't see much at all!

At present my left eye is still correctable with glasses to 20/20. I have a degree of amblyopia, in that, my brain is not very often aware of the image from the right eye. Sometimes it 'comes in' and I close my eyes to switch back.
I have strabismus so I've only ever taken up fixation with one eye or the other, this I believe has saved me from suffering double vision after my retinal detachment. Every cloud has a silver lining eh!

My challenge right now is my night vision, which is quite poor and I'm considering yellow lenses to try to improve my contrast ability.
Thank goodness for the amazing range and sophistication of lenses these day!
Good luck with your glasses!
Best wishes,
Laura

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
(female)

kimsklassybags HB User

I am post vitrectomy 8 weeks right eye and 4 weeks left eye for stage 2 bilateral macular holes. My surgeon is very pleased with the surgery but because of a persistent C3F8 gas bubble in my right eye, it is small but still present and one in the other eye I do not know what my vision is going to be once the bubbles have disappeared. I find that I using my glasses helps a lot right now where they did not help before when the hole was present. I am seeing 20/40 with the right eye, which I am thrilled with. I am hopeful this will improve more with time. I had pretty well equal sizes of holes in my retinas that I believe were there for a few months before surgery. I also had the wavy broken line vision and I still think it is slightly there but not near as noticeable, I would think that it will also take time to get better. My reading is greatly improved and find if I read though the bubble on the right eye it is like a magnifying glass. I read the paper, books etc above the bubble usually.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
(male)

Recently, I made an additional discovery with my wavy vision which I thought I would share with those of you who have this problem after vitrectomy surgery, especially, for macular-detachment: While looking at an "astigmatism" eye chart, which is basically a set of straight lines fanning out at different angles from one point, I noticed that the amount of waviness or "jaggedness" in my vision varied as I went from the horizontal line (0 degrees) to the vertical line (90 degrees). Jaggedness, or sawteeth-like shape at straight edges, is maximum for a horizontal line and decreases somewhat as the angle of the line increases from the horizontal line; for vertical lines, it's not quite jagged in the previous sense, but there are "semi-circular cutouts" staggered on each edge of vertical lines wherever the gaze is at that moment. Has that happened to you too after vit sx? This should provide detailed info to retinal research workers who may have a precise physiological or neural reason for this, I guess, and I would like to know that too and how it relates, for example, to my OCT scans which I have described in some other posts.

By the way, this waviness issue has not gone away for me at all 6+ months after the vit sx, and the vision is stuck at 20/30 - a value which was stabilized within 7 weeks after surgery. The good news is that I don't need or use any glasses for long distance vision - so, there is always hope for those who have gone through such a tumultuous surgery!

Last edited by vitcat2; 07-07-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Reply Reply