It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

RealsticOptimis HB User
Sister with Crack Addiction

My sister is thirty-three and is a crack addict. She has been struggling with the addiction for years, but has recently relapsed and is out of control. She had a son in Jan. '02 which I took custody of. After two years, she did everything she needed to do to get him back. She stayed clean for a year, went back to school, got a job, and her own apartment. She apparently has picked up using again in June and has inevitably lost control. She disappeared in the beginning of December and I have had her son (almost 4) since then. I do not know how to help her. She is in a neighboring city. She is using everyday. She is down to about 90 pounds. She is prostituting to support her habit. I finally located her a couple of weeks ago and had her in my car trying to reach out to her, but she could not do it. She was very high, tweaking, having major anxiety attacks, and I eventually took her back to where I found her. I do not think that she can do it on her own. She has lost her job, her apartment, and her son; the consequences seem too overwhelming to her. There is this struggle between supporting and enabling, but I feel that if I do not do a physical intervention she is going to end up dead. Her son is my priority and I know I will now have him for the next 14 years of his life (and then some), but she is my sister. I love her and she has never been able to reach out. Every time she has gone into treatment it has been because I have gone out found her and helped her to make the call. I do not know if I can turn my head and love her from a distance keeping her in my prayers. If she does end up dead I am afraid I will spend the rest of my life asking, "What if I would have tried just one more time?" Any advice?

Last edited by RealsticOptimis; 01-25-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
(female)

amylynn123 HB User
Re: Sister with Crack Addiction

According to drug counselors, it is best to keep drug addicts at a distance and pray every day that they get through it.
Unfortunately, it is something that they have to do on their own. I can tell you, as a fact, no one can talk a drug addict into doing what they are not ready to do.
What you are doing with her child is wonderful. You should feel so good about yourself, because without you, I am not sure where the child would be.....Make that your main focus.
Sadly enough, all you can do is sit back and wait and NEVER blame yourself. Regardless of what happens, you did not make any of those decisions.

God Bless You

Closed Thread