It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 03:05 AM   #1
(female)

Esph4:32 HB User
My brother is on Fentyl patches + "lollipops" Anyone know anything about these?

Hi everyone, Anyone know anything about Fentyl or lollipops? My brother has been on 50-150mg patches of Fentyl and takes "lollipops" for breakthrough pain in his neck from legitatment (diagnosed from many MRIs and MDs) chronic bone deficiency which has caused many Cervical disc problems and surgeons don't want to touch him after his first surgery which did nothing except make scar tissue formation around his discs and more pain...? He got this bone disease from having to take much Prednisone for his Asthma as a kid (Prednisone can ruin skin, bones, teeth, etc.) They just discovered he had that and that was the cause of all this just a few months ago after being on all kinds of narcs in the mean time which has been over 3 years. SOOOOO he went from the Motrin (3+ years ago) to Ultram to Vicodan, Percocet, Oxycontin...and finally they put him on the patches (about 1.5 years ago)because he would become so tolerant to the drugs and keep needing more to kill the pain. He is only 35 (please pray for him) Some drs say "if you are truely taking it for pain relief, you won't take extra". I believe there is evidence that your brain and physical body has to have more to relieve the pain and those pain killers are for short term only but most end up on them long term. Would Suboxelone help him with pain? or does it just work on the WD sx. He has loss of sensation in his arms and they spontaeously move at night when he is sleeping and going a while without the lollipops.

Anyway I know where my brother is...he couldn't even think of being off it (he has tried it at home by himself many times) he wouldn't be able to function as a Dad to a 2 year old and a wife 10 years younger than him who has threatened out of the marriage...he has too. Ofcourse tell them NO because I have been through that and you have to do everything possible to save your marriage...so if anyone here is considering it. Have an open mind that it could change and you don't have to get divorced....anyway I am rambling

Does anyone know if this part is true: your body makes more pain receptors (this is what I have believed) once receiving pain medicine??????????

Thanks for reading this long post and responding.
Katrina
"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." - Martin Luther

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User
Re: My brother is on Fentyl patches + "lollipops" Anyone know anything about these?

The arm jerks you see are likely myoclonic spasms or jerks.They are quite common when patient take opiates for a long time,they are harmless.Pain receptors are a very complicated subject and you're bond to get a bunch of different answers.If the man has legit chronic pain like you say then he has every right to do whatever it takes (legally) to live a normal as possible life.Alot of people don't understand both chronic pain and opiates.Alot of people think "oh,he's high all the time from his meds".When actually the buzz they are taking about usually disappears after the first few weeks of use.I still get amazed at the ignorance of people when it comes to opiates and how they vilify people like us that need them.Oh well,I try and explain it to people as well as I can......Dave

Old 11-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

Esph4:32 HB User
Re: My brother is on Fentyl patches + "lollipops" Anyone know anything about these?

Thank you. That was a refreshing answer. If he needs it, which he does...then all the other is not relavent. K

Closed Thread