It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
(male)

Red1882 HB User
Need Help! Is Wife addicted to pain pills??

Thanks in addvance for any help I may get!!

Here are a few empty bottles that ive found Hydrocodone (loracet 10\650, hydrocodone 10\650), soma, xanax, ambien. From what I can tell she has filled a 60 pill script four times on the hydro since the first of November. The other's Im not real sure. I have started to worry due to the fact that someone in her family is writing all of the prescriptions. She has complained in the past about kidney stones and migrains. Just wondering if a life of fighting those she may have become addicted. Over the last few months she has become extremely hard to live and deal with. (super *****) From reading over the last few weeks one of the signs other people have expressed is extreme mood swings.

What are some other things I can look for.

thanks
red

Old 01-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User
Re: Need Help! Is Wife addicted to pain pills??

Hey Red, 240 pain pills in 60 daysÖ Either she is suffering from a lot of horrible migraines or she is having an issue with the pills. Plus she is taking the other meds. Yes, I would think she is having some issues. The xanax/opiate combo can be a lethal combo. I really think you have found all the information you need that she is out of control. The best thing you can do is sit down and talk to her about it. Let her know that you are concerned about what is going on. If she doesnít need the meds for health reasons, you have to decide what is acceptable in your relationship. She might be at a point where she wants to stop, but the w/dís are really scaring her. There are treatment options that can help her through this. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

Yes she does have a problem. I have dealt with both kidney stones and migraines, plus a few other maladies. The fact of the matter is that I just used those as excuses to take hydrocodone. Kidney stones come on pretty fast and can be really brutal, hydrocodone doesn't touch that pain, not really. The only thing that works for that kind of pain is a demerol or morphine shot in the hospital. As for the migraines, hydrocodone really only makes them worse due to the rebound headache phenomenon. My head hurts worse when I come down than it did before I take one. The only meds that help with a migraine are things like Relpax and Imitrex, trouble with those is that they don't get you high.

Like I said, I just used my maladies as an excuse to get them and to take them. Even I knew that I was lying to myself and to others. If she is taking that many, then yes, she is addicted, they are very easy to become addicted to.

I'm dealing with my husband's use now and I know how difficult it can be.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Well only she will know if she has a problem. From what you wrote it sounds like she is using the max amount allowed by law of the hydros. Maximum monthly dose is 240. You can ask her about it, but dont be disappointed if she lies to you and denies abusing them. Thats what addicts do. You cant help her unless she wants help. Only she can stop using them. She is taking some heavy duty drugs sit her down and ask her whats going on that she is taking all of these drugs. Let her know you will stand by her if she decides to get help. You can also attend some nar anon meetings too. Set up boundries for yourself. Dont let her belittle you or treat you in ways that are unacceptable. Setting up boudries for yourself will save you alot of pain in the future. Let her know your boundries and let her know what you expect. Lay it out there for her. Do what you say and mean what you say. Follow through if your boundries are broken. These are things that you can do for yourself. You cannot control her addiction but you can control what is acceptable for you to live with. best wishes to you this is a very hard thing to deal with and a hard thing to address. Dont set yourself up for disappointments. Let her actions speak louder than words. If she says she wants help let her find the help. Dont enable her in any way. When she really wants the help she WILL seek it our herself. Have #s for rehabs ready and be armed with knowledge thats all you can do to help her. Kim

Old 01-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
(male)

Red1882 HB User

Here are a few more bottles I found this morning!!

cyclobenzaprine
carisoprodol
meprozine

Most all of these have been filled twice within the last 50 days. From what Ive read the top two are muscle relaxers the other being a pain pill. Man am I on the front end of a big ol mess. Thanks for the above help and support.

Im shocked at how taking that much stuff does not effect her anymore than it does. If I took a pill or two of that I would be drunker that cooder brown.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

With long term use your body build up a tolerance to the drug. So after awhile you dont get the high you used to get. Therefore you take more trying to get the high. After awhile of using you need to take it just to stay normal and not feel sick. Its a long road ahead of her. Just remember you cannot save her or help her unless she wants it. Help yourself first and get an underdstanding about addiction and then when she want help you will be better armed to help her and not get sucked into the drama or the chaos that will follow. I know you probably feel like you have been side swiped by a mac truck and your confused and dont know which way to turn. Its just complicated and hard for both sides the addict and the person who wants to help. Being an addict and also participate in support groups for family of addicts. So I see both sides. Just remember set up boundries and dont set yourself for a let down.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
(male)

kelso76023 HB User

Red, How long have you been married?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
(male)

Red1882 HB User

Almost 5yrs.

Thanks for all the good advice!!

Closed Thread