It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
Update on son's progress

Some of you may remember me. I had a tough time with my addict son, first smoking herion, then methodone (clinic), then pain pills. He disappeared for days, slept all day, ****** through money (I believe shoplifted and stole other people's pills), looked/smelled like a street person, couldn't keep a job, cursed at me, lied to me, manipulated me and would be wasted in front of me.

I tried as I cried. Put him in therapy, sent him to inpatient rehab, sent him to live with a relative. Nothing worked because everytime he came home, he gravitated back to drugs.

Thanks to all the support I got on these boards, YOU standing by me through my ups and downs, day and night, good times and bad, I was able to help me then help him. YOUR advice went into play. I went to NarAnon meetings to change myself, not the addict. I detached and then let go!

Finally able to give the final ultimatum, straighten up, move out of state or be kicked out. He chose being kicked out and then realized I was dead serious this time. Weeks on the street, living in squalor, changed his mind. He agreed to move out of state. At first we helped him but gradually we let go, letting him fall (we had to let go sometime and he had to learn how to be a man sometime) but you know what he picked himself up and brushed himself off! He is renting, he is feeding himself, doing laundry, in at night, takes care of his business and has a job!

Friday will mark six weeks, yes only six weeks but hey, it's six weeks! Thanks again. Keep my son in your prayers. Cram315

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
(female)

ReadyToBeDone HB User
Re: Update on son's progress

Cram, that's the best news I've heard all day!! I'm so happy for you and your son! Keep on doing what you're doing.

Tracy

Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Cram

We "bring up our child in the way it should be, they may stumble, but will come back to the path..." Joyous promise, isn't it?

I am so happy to read the good news. The sharing of your terrifically hard journey is spreading knowledge and hope to all who read of it and are suffering through what you have.

Hallelujah!

All best wishes
reach

Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

kiam0675 HB User

THATS GREAT!!!!! Told ya meetings would work lol. I am so glad you must be so proud to have your son back what a feeling. I'm sure hes glad to be back too. Being an addict is so time consuming and harder to stop. Guess he hit his bottom and is on his way back to the top. I will keep my fingers crossed. JP how is things with you?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Thanks, I would never have thought of the idea of moving him out of state unless I read it over and over again from posters trying to help me, help him.

He is close enough for my husband and I to visit but he is far enough that he won't visit here. To him the gas and tolls round trip is too big of expense. See we complain about toll roads but in this instance it works in my favor

To other spouses, friends, parents and addicts: Nothing is impossible, even if you fall you know there is a chance, if one succeeds all can succeed, no one is more special than another. Always look forward to tomorrow.

Chef you out there? He's made six weeks, you watered his roots. You have no idea how emotional that makes me right now . He'd post a thanks to you himself if you post. Kiam - if you see chef grab my attention.

cram315

Closed Thread