It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

conniemaks5 HB User
Question Please help -Daughter addicted??

My daughter (28yrs) has been on pain meds a long time for her back and I am afraid she is abusing them. She was on oxicotin and now on methadone (and maybe more). She has two children 8yrs and 6mos. I am so concerned because I stop to her house and she is sleeping all the time.

She will fall asleep standing up. She falls asleep in the middle of a conversation. She does not have energy to clean her home. Dark circles under her eyes. Her complection is all broke out. My granddaughter said she fell asleep driving and almost wrecked. She fell asleep and dropped the baby. My other daughters and I tried an intervention and have removed her children (for their safety)and there was a huge blow-up. She was screaming at us to leave her home. We want to help her, but she really insists nothing is wrong(she is just tired and depressed). I'm not sure how to help, if she tries to take the children we will call the authorities. She was not like this a few years back, before the back injury.

Does this sound like just too much meds, or perhaps other drugs too? Has anyone experienced someone like this. We love our daughter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: Please help -Daughter addicted??

She needs help. that is called nodding and it could be from the methadone or other opiates.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Why is your daughter on methadone? how did she hurt her back? when was the last time she went to the doc? maybe you should call her doctor and tell him/her what's going on. She's so young to be in the shape she's in. You did the right thing taking the children. she needs help now!!

Old 04-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hello there~
IM so sorry for whatyou guys have going on...IM a mom and Im sure it would be rough. Im a chronic pain patient, doesnt her doc monitor her? If her poain isnt being addressed correctly, she is going to be depressed and try to self medicate. Methadone made my dad really tired. he would nod all of the time. finally we got him down a whole bunch and hes just fine!
Im sure shes depressed, i get that way when my house gets behind and the kids have to see me feeling crappy, but i work with my doc and maintain a lifestyle where you would have no idea that Im a CP pt.
I agree with Flint. Her doc neds to be notified just for her own safety not ot mention the childrens! they need a mother. hope you can get her some help. She may be getting meds from somewhere else. I hope she doesnt kill herself or someone else driving.
Take care, keep us posted!
xoxoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 04-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
(male)

gooby HB User

does she deal with more than one doctor?

My MIL was very good at getting meds from multiple docs for the same thing.

is the methadone being used to remove her from oxycontin? Oxycontin is bad news. It serves a purpose but it surely has caused some problems as well. In my area, there was a robber that that is all he would steal from the pharmacies he robbed. Only oxycontin. It was a huge street drug so I would suppose it is available on the black market.

As others have posted, call her doctor with your concerns. Don;t be accusatory but don;t take this too lightly either. She is showing signs of a typical drug abuser (makes no diff if it is legal drugs or not). She needs some help.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
(female)

cape1963 HB User

I'm not sure it is a good idea for YOU to call her doctor. You need to speak to your daughter first and tell her you are very concerned. Let her know if she doesn't do something, that you are going to call her doctor. I'm on opiates for severe pain and nerve damage, I am single with 4 children. Some nights I go to the bathroom and fall asleep on the toilet. That doesn't mean I'm abusing my meds, nor does it mean my meds are not correct. Some meds can make you extremely tired. On top of that, she has small children that she is raising. It's extremely hard to be in pain, and raise children, work, clean the house, and cook. It becomes extremely demanding!! Please don't call her doctor!!. You want to get her help, but you don't want her to lose her doctor and pain meds while helping her. That would not help, that would totally destroy her. She is in pain and needs her medicine. Suggest her going to a counselor first. Maybe her behavior has nothing to do with her medicine. She might be totally exhausted. If I am correct, you have her children? It's a tough decision. Just don't be so quick to call her doctor behind her back. I certainly wouldn't want someone to do that to me!! Especially since she is an adult herself!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
(male)

gooby HB User

I see nothing wrong with calling her doc. Her doc cannot divulge any info to the mom without signed HIPPA permission. A good doc not only wnats to know how their patients are reacting to the treatment they are prescibing, they also want to know if there are problems. IF the daughter is addicted, she will blow off the concerns as unjustified. I have dealt with several addicts in my life. Some with prescription meds, some with illegal drugs. They will lie to your face to protect their use IF that is what is happening.

Calling a doc does not mean bad things are going to happen. It means the doc will take correct measures to see the patient is recieving correct and proper meds but is not abusing them. A doc will not remove proper meds unless there is justfication. Mom calling showing concern is not justification. A concerned doc, if addiction is the case, will react as a concerned doc should and continue to treat their patient for the pain PLUS the addiction.That is what they do.

This is an all too common problem today with the overload docs handle today.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with showing concern for your daughter. If adiction is suspect, calling the doc would be the best thing to do. Alerting a possible addict to your actions could be the worst. Many addicts become very adept at convincing friends and doctors there is no problem. If the daughter does respect her mom, she will understand the concern.

Granted, is may be only exhaustion but due to the methadone, I suspect there were/are problems with addiction.

Last edited by gooby; 04-21-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: additions

Old 04-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Podee HB User

Doctors do not necessarily understand addiction. An addict will just ask for medication whether he needs it or not, especially when it comes to opiates.

So I would discount what any addict says as far as "I need these meds." Falling asleep standing up or on the toilet are signs of overmedication and addiction. I guarantee that if the addict went and told his doctor, "Your meds are making me fall alseep routinely on the toilet" that doctor would reevaluate the prescription.

I am not saying that anyone who gets prescription pain meds is an addict. I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is that an addict who obtains prescription pain meds will defend their use to the end so we can discount what they have to say in that regards.

Closed Thread