It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
Pain medication...can it make you as high as a kite?

I cannot believe I am back on these boards, I thought the worst was behind me.

My son is "legally" on pain meds, herniated disk, bulging disks, thecal displacement, and a slew of other items came up on an MRI.

Just what an addict needed, now he has a never ending supply of pain patches (literally pain patches, not lidocain but some sort of morphine crap) and pain medication in bottles, who knows how many of his doctors are unwittingly prescribing to him.

Two questions: Can I call his doctor and give them a heads up that he is an addict? He is 22 and when you are high on pain meds are your eyes pinpoints? I think he is over mixing plus he takes allergy meds on top of it all.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Pain medication...can it make you as high as a kite?

Hi Cram...The answer is no. You cannot call and tell his doctors that he is an addict. His doctor is prohibited from discussing anything about his case with you or anyone else, unless he gives specific permission. Besides, your son is an adult, if he were a minor, it would be a different story.

Case in point, I am retired (on SSD), but my wife still works. Since I am home each day while she's working, I tend to take care of most of our family business. I don't remember what it was about, but a few weeks ago, I had to call my wife's doctor about something and find out if it was ok with her doc. Because she had not signed permission for them to discuss her medical things with me, they couldn't tell me what she needed to know. The next time she was in to see her PCP, she made sure to sign the permission form.

The pain patches he is on, are Duragesic Patches. It is Fentanyl, the strongest of all pain meds. They are so strong, they come in doses of micrograms, not milligrams, like other drugs. Doses are 12.5, 25, 50, 75, and 100 mcg. They do have generics now, so some of their doses may be a little different.

The pills in bottles, are probably for break through pain. There are many different drugs used for BT pain. Usually doctors allow you to take a limited number of them each day. It depends on the doctor and your pain, but most chronic pain patients get two to four BT pills a day.

Pinpoint eyes can definitely be related to the ingestion of narcotic medication. That is why the police will shine a flashlight in people's eyes when they have stopped them for something. That raises another point, that a lot of people face. Driving under the influence of narcotic pain meds is no different than driving under the influence of alcohol. Most states have renamed DWI to DUI (or something else), to incluude drugs.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of not so good news, but I hope I have answered some of your questions.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 04-25-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Cram i totally disagree. my son is 21 and was abusing fentanyl patches ..its just a very very strong opiate that can kill you. my son is an addict, clean for 56 days now..was in a 28 day re-hab and he is doing well. your story is my worst nightmare..that some dumb doctor would prescribe opiates. it is your sons responsibity as an addict to tell the doctor that. if not, than me as his mom would get on that phone and tell him..who gives a crap about the hipa act..i certainly dont. if the doc wont talk to you leave a message with his nurse or on his answering machine..write him a letter anything to make him aware of his past drug use. of his addiction...i have worked for doctors for the past 20 yrs and believe me most of them do not care if they get you addicted to drugs.. they are clueless when it come sto addictive personalities. they get out their pens and write.. Call for your son...i would in a second!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Cram, his eyes are a big tell all. they will be pinned.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Being a chornic pain sufferer myself its not fair for you to take away his pain medication, do you want your son to suffer in pain and agony? I understand he is an addict what was his drug of choice was it opiates or heroin? And he is an adult now so there isn't very much you can do about it as he is of legal age so you can't baby him and call his Dr on him..

One thing you can do, if he lives at home with you, I am not sure if he does, but you can ask him to have YOU dispense his medication SO that you can make sure he is using it properly go about this in a nice way don't accuse him of anything and say you just want to help as you no his past histroy is not great, because if he starts to run out before his apt he will be VERY sick. and he will learn the hard way. the Dr should be pill counting for him and checking his blood to make sure he is using the meds correctly... I do see your concern but you can't control him like this as he has to do this on his own and learn on his own... if you call his Dr and tell him he is an addict he will just find another Dr or buy them off the streets, which could be worse, so please Don't do that if you can ,bujt it sounds like your going to call his Dr anyhow. see if you can work with him instead of getting his Dr involved and forcing him to give the pain meds up. He will just find a way to get them... I like the idea of having you give him his doses each day and you will have to keep them in a safe with a combination lock... good luck.
I don't beleive morphine comes in a patch its probaby fentantyl, why don't you look at the bottles and see what he is on so YOU know, it could be something else and your assuming he is no heavy narcotics.. count the pills to and see if he is taking more than he is supposed to be, than you can address it with him when you no for sure what he is taking.

Last edited by slipperyslope; 04-26-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

I agree with slipperyslope, just because someone is an addict doesnt mean they have to suffer through pain.

I am an addict and my drug of choice is narcotics. and when I blew my back out and had surgery I cant imagine how painful it would of been without them. I had to constantly be on guard not to abuse them. I used them as needed and tapered off under my docs care when I no longer needed them. not all addicts may be able to do this, and Ill be the 1st to admit that, but some can use them for their intended use and stop when needed. others may lie and seek increased dosages and use them longer than needed. we have no idea what type your son is.

he is on some powerful stuff as its been mentioned. how does he act? nodding and sleeping all the time? normal? he may be on too much but thats up to his doc and him. unfortunately some docs have no clue what narcotics do to people. others do.

you need to monitor his consumption of the meds. check the labels for doses and times and make sure he sticks to it. if you can hold on to them so much the better.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

It was heroin. It was crack and coke. It was pain pills. When it graduated to pain medication things got better believe it or not. He went from an unfunctioning addict on pain pills to moving him out of state. Now he is a functioning addict but for how long, the meds our again out of control.

I told him he is abusing these pain meds and he said the doctor is going to ween him off eventually by giving him suboxone. He just got his first shot for pain in his back..but he is an addict....if the shots worked why would he say they are working? Think about it, he can get his drugs and patches as long as he is in pain.

I hate the addict. Hate, hate, hate. What he has put me through. He is going to end up killing himself. I know the doctor does not have to give me information but I can (freedom of speech) give the doctor information.

I will be in his neck of the woods all weekend. He expects me to see me and his dad for dinner tomorrow night. I could refuse and tell him I don't want to watch him kill himself. My husband and I could refuse to take his calls too, that would kill him because he calls one of us daily, sometimes twice a day.

See, I am getting desperate again. I hate being desperate!

Jules - heres keeping my fingers crossed that your sons addiction becomes a faint memory. yes, I know first hand doctors just write. I heard that they cannot turn you down for pain medication if your say you are in pain. This doctor however did tell my son that he tells all his patience if they lose their medication do not call him, if you use them up earlier, do not call him. A doctor with a brain?

Old 04-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Cram, you guys have been hell and back. i have been there too. i know he is 22 but im betting hes not a very mature 22 yr old is he? if he were my son i would call that doctor. im not sure if im a believer in tough love, i never got to that point with my son..2 different schools of thought i feel that i would be feeding my son to the wolves if i threw him out while he was abusing..he might have died, he has had seizures. but than again i will not enable it to go on in my home..i just hope im not forced to make that decision..

Old 04-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kadee HB User

I ditto Jules. Cram if you think he doctor dodging, it is in both of your best interests to ensure he only has one doctor expecially so, if you know he is mixing,and likes to take more and more, I can hear sirens, overdose is a reality. Talk to your son.

Last edited by kadee; 04-26-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Cram please let us know how he is when you see him!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

I'm a chronic pain patient as well,and I have to strongly disagree when you said doctors don't care,they just get out there pen.Do you realize how many chronic pain sufferers commit suicide each year because doctors either won't perscribe to lagit people,or just simply underperscribe? Doc. are watched very closely,when I first started on med.,I had to sign a opiate contract,stating that I couldn't accept medication from no other doctor,I had to pick one pharmacy to use,and that I would be drug tested to make sure that I'm taking what is perscribed,the right amount,and that I'm not taking illegal drugs.I wouldn't wish chronic pain on my worse enemy! Theres lagit patients out there who have to travel up to 12 hrs away to find a doc. who will treat there pain! Many doc. are scared to death to write perscriptions for pain med. even though the patient is lagit and suffering,Its acusations like the person above that make life a living hell for chronic pain patients! Walk a mile in our shoes.Yes,there are 100,000 people who abuse medications,but don't forget about the millions that depend on med. on a daily basis just to lead a somewhat normal life,and don't abuse!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Podee HB User

I observe that the ones who end up addicted or abusing the pain meds or benzos have had issues with substances including alcohol in the past.

Therefore, the solution lies in addressing addiction. Not just in withdrawing from the meds.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

As with anything it is the abusers of a system who make it difficult on the legit people who need that particular system, pain management is no different.

I saw my son three days in a row. Before I came down I told him if he was high I would leave and he wouldn't see me at all. He was normal

He is going to a pain managment doctor. He is on Cobra and needs authorization every time he sees a doctor, which is making me hope that he can't see any doctor at will for scripts and it is more controlled.

He said they switched his pain patch and hasn't needed any pills with this new one. He said he is going for another shot Tuesday and he said he feels good for the first time in a long time. He is looking forward to going on suboxone when he is done with the back problem.

There is constantly glimmers of hope with him. So I had a good weekend with him and I think, hope, he is winning his battle.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Cram all sounds good

Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Jules, it sounds good....been here so many times, I lost count. Things do look up though more often than not, I should thank my lucky stars that he is where he is right now and not where we were.

Closed Thread