It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 7
twinkledeb HB User
recovered addict husband on lots of meds

hi my husband was addicted to xanax and i think oxycontin a few years ago. he did not go into rehab but went to an addiction speacialist. he is now on adderall, effexor, amphetamine salt, clonopin and klonopolin. has anyone had experience with somebody being prescribed all these drugs after an addiction problem? it seems so strange to me to be on all these meds. when i search them online they all seem to be addictive- i do not think he is abusung them though. any help or advise would be great thanks so much- twinkle

 
Old 06-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ny
Posts: 2,037
jules3 HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

clonopin and klonopilin? check that out. i think you are confused..than come back.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 7
twinkledeb HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
clonopin and klonopilin? check that out. i think you are confused..than come back.
hi it's klonopin and clonopin one is a pill and one is a wfer

 
Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ny
Posts: 2,037
jules3 HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

O well im confused now. im familiar with klonopin. its is an anti-anxiety med and can become addictive. my son sees an addiction doctor and he wont prescribe that. maybe its only going to be a short term thing. ask your husband.

 
Old 06-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 7
twinkledeb HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
O well im confused now. im familiar with klonopin. its is an anti-anxiety med and can become addictive. my son sees an addiction doctor and he wont prescribe that. maybe its only going to be a short term thing. ask your husband.
hi it's been going on three years and he wont discuss it with me. i just see the bottles of medication in the bathroom
maybe he is on them for a different reason?

 
Old 06-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: houston tx usa
Posts: 42
smoochy39 HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

My question would be, is he getting all these from the same doctor? Adderall is a stimulant-a little 'pick me up' unless he actually has ADD or some other condition that would warrant it. Effexor is an anti depressant-not uncommon for addicts to take. I have no idea what amphetamine salt is, except that amphetamines are another pick me up (speed), and then klonopin is a tranquilizer usually prescribed for seizures and people who have anxiety/panic disorders.

My concern is he is taking 'uppers' and 'downers'. The fact that he won't discusss this with you is odd. Remember that once an addict, always an addict. Some may get their addictions in check, but adderall, klonopin and anything 'amphetamine' are addictive. To me, and this is my opinion only, is it doesn't make alot of sense to take drugs that stimulate the nervous system, and then take drugs that depress the nervous system. But I'm not a doctor, and to give the benefit of the doubt, there could be some maintenance or medical reason for this cocktail of drugs.

On the surface, it sounds like he may be trading one 'habit' for another. I've done that in the past-didn't get addicted to the other drugs, but they still altered my state of mind.

I don't know how open the communication is with your husband, but you could approach him by saying you are trying to be supportive and understand the whole addiction process and would just like to be 'in the know' of what's going on so you can help and support him better.

Take care
Smooch

 
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 7
twinkledeb HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochy39 View Post
My question would be, is he getting all these from the same doctor? Adderall is a stimulant-a little 'pick me up' unless he actually has ADD or some other condition that would warrant it. Effexor is an anti depressant-not uncommon for addicts to take. I have no idea what amphetamine salt is, except that amphetamines are another pick me up (speed), and then klonopin is a tranquilizer usually prescribed for seizures and people who have anxiety/panic disorders.

My concern is he is taking 'uppers' and 'downers'. The fact that he won't discusss this with you is odd. Remember that once an addict, always an addict. Some may get their addictions in check, but adderall, klonopin and anything 'amphetamine' are addictive. To me, and this is my opinion only, is it doesn't make alot of sense to take drugs that stimulate the nervous system, and then take drugs that depress the nervous system. But I'm not a doctor, and to give the benefit of the doubt, there could be some maintenance or medical reason for this cocktail of drugs.

On the surface, it sounds like he may be trading one 'habit' for another. I've done that in the past-didn't get addicted to the other drugs, but they still altered my state of mind.

I don't know how open the communication is with your husband, but you could approach him by saying you are trying to be supportive and understand the whole addiction process and would just like to be 'in the know' of what's going on so you can help and support him better.

Take care
Smooch
hi thanks so much for your post
my husband is in denial about the addiction he claims "big deal i took some pills and now i'm not" at the start of him going to the addiction dr she told me she would like him to be in rehab or at leastgoing to 12 step meetings and some therapy but he did not want to. now we r not on great terms and he wont give her permission to speak with me. is it common for a recovering addict to be on so many meds?
our 13 year old son takes concerta for add and my husband says that our son is on much more medication than him
i dont see how that is possible when he is on several different medicationsthanks for all your help
twinkle

 
Old 06-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ny
Posts: 2,037
jules3 HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

If your husband does not want to go off these meds than he wont..and sorry but you cannot do a single thing for him. he needs to want it. i dont want to sound cruel,but its true. will he let you sit in on the addiction docs visit? maybe you can ask questions..just a thought.

 
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 49
lipidprofiler HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

Amphetamine salts is just the generic name for adderall, so it sounds like he has two different prescriptions for the same drug....

 
Old 06-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: houston tx usa
Posts: 42
smoochy39 HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

I'm sorry for you plight, but it looks like you have a long road to deal with. I've never seen a recovery doctor, but from people I know, they may give you a tranquilizer (such as klonopin, there are others), but this mix of drugs, to me, just seems a little fishy.

If he won't speak about this, try calling an addiction doctor, let him know all the meds he's on, and get his opinion. Did I post that already? Sorry if I did. I've got to back to work. I'll talk more later.

 
Old 06-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 7
twinkledeb HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochy39 View Post
I'm sorry for you plight, but it looks like you have a long road to deal with. I've never seen a recovery doctor, but from people I know, they may give you a tranquilizer (such as klonopin, there are others), but this mix of drugs, to me, just seems a little fishy.

If he won't speak about this, try calling an addiction doctor, let him know all the meds he's on, and get his opinion. Did I post that already? Sorry if I did. I've got to back to work. I'll talk more later.
i don't think you posted already!! it seems fishy to me too except this doctor is cheif of addiction at a big hospital in New York. But everyone i speak to says the same thing that he traded one drug for another. someone told me that by AA standerds he is not clean is that true? thanks so much for all your help twinkle

 
Old 06-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: houston tx usa
Posts: 42
smoochy39 HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

By AA standards....there are times in an addicts life when they have to take narcotics-you have surgery, break a leg, etc. The thing is, when you face that situation are you taking the medication as prescribed? When I went through almost 90 days of sobriety, I had a really bad uti and was prescribed hydrocodone (which happens to be my drug of choice). I gave them to my husband and he gave them to me as needed (it read take 1 or 2 every 6 hours as needed).

I took one and he read my pain signals, if left on my own, the whole bottle would have been gone in a day.

Again, I'm not a doctor, but this mix of drugs sounds not only unethical, but potentially dangerous. I did say before it's not uncommon to be given anti depressants, even tranquilizers to help with WD syptoms, but he's got quite a mix going on there.

Don't call his doctor, just call any doctor with this 'hypothetical' question and get their opinion. If they say sure, it's common, ask why, what they are for, and how they are helping. That may give you some insight.

Going through withdrawal from a drug or alcohol is just the beginning for an addict. Like I said, I had been clean for awhile, but the temptation with the script would have been my free ticket.

In fact, I didn't need a script from the doc, I went back out on my own-I was stressed, I was angry, I was whatever---basically I wanted to use, I did, now I'm stuck in the cycle that's very difficult to break.

Is your hubby going to therapy or 12 step meetings? Addiction recovery is a lifelong event. We are who we are, and until we change our thinking (more importantly our actions), we might as well still be using. The drug/alcohol is just a symptom of a deeper underlying problem.

It takes courage and honesty and most importantly a deep desire to change our lives. AA will teach you there are people who are recovering, there's 'white knuckle sobriety, and just plain 'dry drunks'. Those who stop using, but still carry around the problem and haven't worked on the solution.

Take care (sorry so long)
Smoochy

 
Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #13
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 7
twinkledeb HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochy39 View Post
By AA standards....there are times in an addicts life when they have to take narcotics-you have surgery, break a leg, etc. The thing is, when you face that situation are you taking the medication as prescribed? When I went through almost 90 days of sobriety, I had a really bad uti and was prescribed hydrocodone (which happens to be my drug of choice). I gave them to my husband and he gave them to me as needed (it read take 1 or 2 every 6 hours as needed).

I took one and he read my pain signals, if left on my own, the whole bottle would have been gone in a day.

Again, I'm not a doctor, but this mix of drugs sounds not only unethical, but potentially dangerous. I did say before it's not uncommon to be given anti depressants, even tranquilizers to help with WD syptoms, but he's got quite a mix going on there.
thank you so much for all your info. it was really helpful to me. i spoke to an addiction speacialist not a MD and he said it sounds lie some sort of "mania" is going on. my hubby never went to therapy or AA his Dr had wanted him to but he refused. the way you described the dry drunk is totaly him. the scary part about this is that he startedgoing to this dr around 4 years ago. it just seems too long to still be on all those meds
anyway thanks again
twinkle

Don't call his doctor, just call any doctor with this 'hypothetical' question and get their opinion. If they say sure, it's common, ask why, what they are for, and how they are helping. That may give you some insight.

Going through withdrawal from a drug or alcohol is just the beginning for an addict. Like I said, I had been clean for awhile, but the temptation with the script would have been my free ticket.

In fact, I didn't need a script from the doc, I went back out on my own-I was stressed, I was angry, I was whatever---basically I wanted to use, I did, now I'm stuck in the cycle that's very difficult to break.

Is your hubby going to therapy or 12 step meetings? Addiction recovery is a lifelong event. We are who we are, and until we change our thinking (more importantly our actions), we might as well still be using. The drug/alcohol is just a symptom of a deeper underlying problem.

It takes courage and honesty and most importantly a deep desire to change our lives. AA will teach you there are people who are recovering, there's 'white knuckle sobriety, and just plain 'dry drunks'. Those who stop using, but still carry around the problem and haven't worked on the solution.

Take care (sorry so long)
Smoochy

 
Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #14
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 7
twinkledeb HB User
Re: recovered addict husband on lots of meds

hi
thanks for all the info it was all very helpful. he never went to AA or therapy even though his dr wanted him to. i spoke to a speacialist once who said its not normal to be on all those meds there must be some form of "mania" . it's just been so long already almost 4 years i'm getting really tired thanks again twinkle

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Growing older with a porn addict daliz Relationship Health 23 05-21-2009 12:49 PM
New to being a spouse to an addict. Please help! lotsofemotion Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics 12 12-05-2007 01:05 PM
Spouse is an addict...Fear that he will take his life! kimmisofla Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics 3 09-07-2007 07:13 AM
Any recovered (injecting) heroin addicts here? isitme Addiction & Recovery 17 07-14-2007 02:52 PM
Any recovered drug addicts here? isitme Addiction & Recovery 6 04-16-2007 08:13 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Phoenix (4), reachout (2), captjane (2), sad_in_sd (1), rudiraven (1), writeleft (1), lenvegas (1), Robocat (1), Titchou (1), Kszan (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:53 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!