It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

troublex2 HB User
Unhappy 15 yr old brother,pleaase help !!!!

My brother has ADHD & Bipolar and smokes weed ( i know that is not good at all) he says it helps him feel so called "normal" . I try and talk to him because I have smoked before when I was a teenager but its like he is addicted. But now I am more concerned about him doing other drugs. The past few months he lost 10 lbs. He is already skinny due to the ADHD meds . But he looks horrible,his face is sooo skinny and to me he looks like he is doing drugs. But my mother insists that its hot out,he runs all day & doesnt eat much. I am so concerned due to the fact that my parents are both recoverying addicts,over 10 yrs clean. But I dont know what to do anymore, I know I can not control his life but I just wish I knew what he was doing. He is only 15,will be 16 in September, he has changed sooo much since my grandmother passed away in 2004. But since the summer he has gotten worse. WHat should/can I do??

Old 07-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User
Re: 15 yr old brother,pleaase help !!!!

This is a real tough one because first of all he is your brother, not your child. Your parents are clean and sober but see nothing wrong, and he has other mental health problems.

The best thing you can do for him is to help yourself in your life. You can be an example to him and slowly the seed will be planted. If you wish you can tell his school counselors and ask them to keep an eye on him. They won't be as influenced by his act as your parents are.

He has a world of pain ahead for him, so you are going to need patience and just trust that it will work out. Sooner or later he will get arrested if he is doing drugs, then you can tell his probabion officer, but I would suggest that you don't call the police on him. That is a parents job and you need to trust that your parents will wake up and do the necessary thing.

You can also pray for him. My mom saved my soul with her direct contact with God Himself, or I wouldn't be here today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello

I am sorry to hear of yet another young person's sadness heading into such a sorrowful lifestyle. I am glad you are sharing. Perhaps it is because I have raised three children, perhaps it is because I have spent many years working with teen s and young adults, perhaps it is just because I can relate to you as a human.... whatever the 'perhaps' stems from, I want you to know how intensley I share your distress. My own brother is a recovered street addict. So much pain for him, his broken marrige, his children, the whole family. I am recovering from years of narcotic painkillers. Legal, perhaps, but just as painful in the end for all involved with me. When the pain meds stole my life from me, it was taken simutaneously from all who love me.

Dan had addresses everything I would have written. I would add only that you perhaps pursue some Alanon or Naranon meetings for some refresheres in helping you help your little brother as it is allowed. Also, to find support for you as his problem is by the natutre of your relationship, an issue for you.

Much peace to you
reach

Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Hi trouble, its so sad for you to have to see this and know that you really cant control him.. my 18 yr old saw her bro abusing drugs and was so upset she needed a couple of months of therapy..when he got straightened out , she was better. can you ask your mom to get you some help?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
(female)

troublex2 HB User

Thank you for all the replies. I know I can not help him,. I can be here for him if and when he decides to tell me he has a problem . I am 27 yr old mother of 2 & their father got into drugs about 4 years ago but has been sober for 3 yrs. So his did not esclate that far and hopefully it never will. I just feel myself falling apart, first growing up with parents addicted to drugs (been clean for over 10 yrs ) ,then my husband, now my brother . My 2 sisters and I do not do anything,now my baby brother is the one i am concerned about. I just want to break this cycle !!! I thought it would get easier because I have grown up around people using drugs, but it seems to get worse. I feel so helpless,then I feel sorry for my brother, wanting to know what is going on in his life that he turns to drugs. its so overwhelming at times that I can not even think straight because i worry about him so much. He is only 15,my baby brother,my only brother..he almost didnt make it when he was born now he is just killing hisself slowly !! Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
(female)

elixabethtx HB User

Just curious what ADD/ADHD meds he is on because they can in fact be addicitve and create a major host of problems. They can also mimc bipolar disorder in many ways. Just a word of caution to you if he is on methylphenidate or amphetamine salts or Ritalin or Adderall.

I am a drug addict with biplar illness as well and my ADHD meds were my biggest problem. Hopefully, he is not addicted or abusing his meds like I did.

Elixa

Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
(female)

troublex2 HB User

I am not sure what meds he is currently, I know he takes Depakote and a few others. My mother gave him a drug test last night, my aunt got a few for her from her work. They are not from like Rite Aid or CVS . It checks for coke,opiates,marijuana,anphedimenes ( do not know how to spell thta one? and mTHC. Well everything was negative except for the weed. But that doesnt explain the reason for the weight lose, he used to weigh 130,yeaterday he weighed 117 and his blood pressure was 147/78. The doctor is concerned about that. as far as abusing his meds, my mother gives them to him daily do i doubt he is doing that,I hope not !! My son is on METADATE , is that like any of the meds you mentioned,he also has ADHD.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
(female)

elixabethtx HB User

Yes, metadate could cause rapid weight loss it is another form of Ritalin. I used and abused it. It can be abused (ground,snorted) and it also gives an
amphetmine like rush to many people. I lost 20 pounds when I was taking it.
Just something to be mindful of.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
(female)

troublex2 HB User

My son is only 7 so at this time I am not too concerned about him snorting. As far as my brother, i found out he takes depakote and concerta. My mother gives it to him daily so i do not think he ios doing that. His drug test came back negative for everything but weed. So my mother is taking him to the doctors friday to see if everything is ok due to the fact he has lost a lot of weight.

Closed Thread